relearning what i forgot in paramedic school

sonnyboy40

Forum Ride Along
Hey guys
I've been out of paramedic school for over a year now and i have all but forgotten almost everything I learned in paramedic school and it sometimes scares me. In addition to taking blocks and refresher classes, I was wondering if there are any books, other than my paramedic book and my notes, that can help me regain most, if not some, of the things that I learned while I was in paramedic school but in a condensed form? Basically a book that does not have unnecessary "mumble jumble" but everything that I need to know pertaining to medical conditions that I may encounter as a paramedic?

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
Is there an agency you could do a ride-along with, like who you did your clinical with, to get back out there?

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
If it scares you to the point that you don't think you know what you're doing then a book isn't what you need. Forgive me for being brash, but that is complete nonsense. If you can't get what you need out of a refresher and some CE classes and/or the paramedic book itself.... Well then you've got no business taking care of people who need someone who is at least semi confident in their knowledge, skills, and abilities.

You should be and are expected to be able to perform at a minimum competency... If you can't... Well, like I said - you've got no business running calls.

Keywords there were minimum competency... Which is already a pretty weak standard.

Moreover, it is your responsibility to keep up with CEs and what's going on in EMS. To keep learning once out of the classroom is an old timey EMS mantra that is 100% applicable to all of us and particularly to your situation.

There's no reason to skip the "mumble jumble" if you can't figure out the meat and potatoes of your level of service.

Don't look for a quick fix- by doing so you are doing yourself, the rest of us, and your patients a disservice. Take the time to "relearn" what you need to be a - dare I say it - minimum competency paramedic. A little ride time in the field would probably be a good way to go about that as well.

Rant over.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Hey guys
I've been out of paramedic school for over a year now and i have all but forgotten almost everything I learned in paramedic school and it sometimes scares me. In addition to taking blocks and refresher classes, I was wondering if there are any books, other than my paramedic book and my notes, that can help me regain most, if not some, of the things that I learned while I was in paramedic school but in a condensed form? Basically a book that does not have unnecessary "mumble jumble" but everything that I need to know pertaining to medical conditions that I may encounter as a paramedic?

You have to put effort into it.

Having your protocols memorized cold and truly understanding the why behind them is a good start.

Read. Look things up. Take classes. Listen to podcasts. Ask questions.