Realistically, what are my chances of being hired?

mlboncea35D

Forum Ride Along
Hi, I did volunteer first aid for a year while I was working on a degree in Scotland, and really liked it (even with twelve hour shifts where I was paid in nothing more than dinner, tea and cookies). Returned to the U.S. and picked up a job as a behavioral health tech in Tucson. Due to student loan debt, I can't currently relocate, as my rent's too cheap here. Also, I'm in my mid-forties.

All that being said, should I even think about going for my EMT basic certification? Or should I just shelve the idea? Or get my certification and then look at nursing?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Do you want to be an EMT? Do you have some criminal history that will prevent you from being hired?

If no, then do it.

EMTs are entry level providers, the McDonalds worker of medical care. It's a starting point, not a career.

OP
OP
M

mlboncea35D

Forum Ride Along
Do you want to be an EMT? Do you have some criminal history that will prevent you from being hired?

If no, then do it.

EMTs are entry level providers, the McDonalds worker of medical care. It's a starting point, not a career.
Works for me. Thanks.

Emswabbt

Forum Ride Along
Hi, I did volunteer first aid for a year while I was working on a degree in Scotland, and really liked it (even with twelve hour shifts where I was paid in nothing more than dinner, tea and cookies). Returned to the U.S. and picked up a job as a behavioral health tech in Tucson. Due to student loan debt, I can't currently relocate, as my rent's too cheap here. Also, I'm in my mid-forties.

All that being said, should I even think about going for my EMT basic certification? Or should I just shelve the idea? Or get my certification and then look at nursing?
Question is do you want to do it? Why? Do you want it as a career or just doing because you love it. (one could make you $ the other is a feel good thing with maybe some pay)
I was a EMT 1992 retired in 2003, came back in 2014, when i moved back to my small town to help. I live simple ($ wise) and love being here for my community.
So why do you want to?
And I don't know about other states but in WI, just passed EMT & EMR as a legal crew to help the shortage of EMTs. Services need help, I'm sure that is true in your area..
feel free to email me..
hope you make the right choice FOR YOU!