question on OPA's

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Someone told me it is ok and beneficial to go a little bigger, but never smaller.

My service has become more strict about equipment checking. The form reads "two sets of six sizes."

However, in the equipment room, there are nine different sizes. The ops vp told me any six are ok but try to have the very biggest and very smallest. An experienced guy sitting next to him told me the above.

I am posting this question for a second opinion and any stories about sizing and fitting opa's.

I have zero first hand experience.

Thank you in advance.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
i dont have any first hand experience either but during my EMT class the instructors told us "if you dont have the right size OPA then dont use it".

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Proper size.

Too small, and it won't hold the airway open. Too big, and it ends up blocking a lot of the airway.

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Proper size.

Too small, and it won't hold the airway open. Too big, and it ends up blocking a lot of the airway.

Can you verbalize a margin of error for sizing?

If there was one, I would assume it would be more tolerant in the larger sizes.

For example. Is there a difference in 110mm versus 100mm ?

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Can you verbalize a margin of error for sizing?

If there was one, I would assume it would be more tolerant in the larger sizes.

For example. Is there a difference in 110mm versus 100mm ?

The 110 is 1 cm bigger?

Measure the OPA with the patient's jaw, and choose the best fit. The kits we carry have 5 adult sizes, and I've never struggled with the decision.

Mostly, I'd say within a half-centimeter, or maybe 1 centimeter, and you want to visualize the device curving with the tongue.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Proper sizing, 10mms can make a difference. Ideal would be have all sizes between the two kits.