Question about identifying yourself

MedicDelta

Forum Crew Member
So I have a question that probably hasn't been asked before and I was curious for an answer. I'm an EMR from Canada, do you think it's ok to identity myself as a paramedic? I find it hard to explain to people what I am when they ask or when I have to give first aid(has actually happened more times than you'd think). Nobody has any clue what an Emergency Medical Responder is, so I usually just tell people I'm a paramedic. Is that ok to do? Also, do you think it's ok to wear personal clothing that identifies me as a 'paramedic'? Such as a t-shirt that says 'paramedic' on it just for example. Thanks for the help in advance.

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
I personally wouldn't.
I think that it should be sufficient to say something of the lines of "I have first aid training", should be enough, no reason to go into titles, unless they specifically ask.
Another question, why would you ever need personal clothing that identifies you as such?

OP
OP
MedicDelta

MedicDelta

Forum Crew Member
I personally wouldn't.
I think that it should be sufficient to say something of the lines of "I have first aid training", should be enough, no reason to go into titles, unless they specifically ask.
Another question, why would you ever need personal clothing that identifies you as such?
Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. And I dunno, I just thought it would be cool to have a shirt that like that. But at the same time I wouldn't want to misidentify myself as being a paramedic when I'm not technically one.

OP
OP
MedicDelta

MedicDelta

Forum Crew Member
Why stop there? Tell 'em you're a doctor. That way even the folks who don't know what a paramedic is will be impressed.

Now - wanna guess what my recommendation might be? ;)
Yes I understand lol. Thanks for your input.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Are you a paramedic?

If yes, then tell people you're a paramedic.

If no, then don't tell people you're a paramedic.

OP
OP
MedicDelta

MedicDelta

Forum Crew Member
Are you a paramedic?

If yes, then tell people you're a paramedic.

If no, then don't tell people you're a paramedic.
Makes sense to me. I was curious what you guys thought because during my course a student had this exact same question and our instructor told us to start identifying ourselves as paramedics. Thanks for the advice, I'll take it lol.

John E

Forum Captain
I really miss Ridryder...

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Just tell them what your training level actually is. If you're an EMT then you're an EMT, likewise for medic.

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
Why not just say "I'm with EMS" as EMR is an EMS provider level.

Or...say, "My name is XYZ, I'm an Emergency Medical Responder and I'm here to help." People who are in a true emergency won't care what it is, only that you are in control and helping them and acting in a professional manner. People who aren't in an emergent situation might say, "What's that?" And now, you have a teachable moment to educate them. Don't go into details about your scope of practice, simply explain that it is the first pre-hospital provider level in the EMS system.

ETA: lying is terrible; lying or misleading someone about your provider level will either result in fines, restriction/removal of certification/license, or possibly much worse. Some people don't know what a paramedic is, but they know what an EMT is. I don't simply say, "yes, I'm a certain type of EMT." I either fix the emergency because they don't care who or what a paramedic is, or if they do care, I just say it is the highest pre-hospital provider level in the EMS system. If they have questions and they have time (non-emergent), I take the time to answer their questions. You are a patient advocate. You are there to make sure they get the best care possible. That includes informing them not only in what you are doing, but also who you are. And, when you share with them honestly, they become more comfortable with you, and this allows for better care.

Last edited:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Your instructor erred. I'd rather take the time to educate someone about what I do than mislead someone. And if time matters no one care's who you are, just that you are helping.

cprted

Forum Captain
Technically speaking, in British Columbia (where I believe Medic Delta is ... or at least where s/he did their training), once an EMR is licensed by the Emergency Medical Assistants Licensing Board, they are legally allowed to use the title "Paramedic." Not that I necessarily agree with people who have a whopping 15 days of training being identified as Paramedics ... But Medic Delta's instructor was technically correct.

Of note, BC is the only Canadian province where an EMR can be called a Paramedic.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
I don't know about who is called what in Canada, but I wouldn't be comfortable claiming to be something I'm not. Yes it might be easier, but easier isn't always better. Be proud of who you are and what you've accomplished. If a patient is confused, explain it to them. Of course if you don't have time, or your dealing with dementia etc. a simple "I work with the ambulance/fire department" or "I work with EMS" can do. Repress my yourself as a higher authority is dishonest and disrespectful to those who have earned it. You'll get there.

systemet

Forum Asst. Chief
So I have a question that probably hasn't been asked before and I was curious for an answer. I'm an EMR from Canada, do you think it's ok to identity myself as a paramedic? I find it hard to explain to people what I am when they ask or when I have to give first aid(has actually happened more times than you'd think). Nobody has any clue what an Emergency Medical Responder is, so I usually just tell people I'm a paramedic. Is that ok to do?

I'm going to say, establishing a patient care relationship and then lying about your level or training, while using a protected title, is probably a bad idea. "I'm an EMR, it's like a paramedic [....but with less training]", might be ok?

Also, do you think it's ok to wear personal clothing that identifies me as a 'paramedic'? Such as a t-shirt that says 'paramedic' on it just for example. Thanks for the help in advance.

Do whatever you want. Just try not to wear your cool new paramedic t-shirt to the bar, and bear in mind, that you're representing the vocation of EMS to the general public by your actions while you're wearing that t-shirt. So try not to do anything too stupid.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
In all seriousness, Emergency Medical Responder probably make more sense to the layman than EMT, AEMT, or Paramedic. Or even just say First Responder. It isn't wrong if you are generic about it. For what its worth, of the two occasions I've assisted with a patient while a doctor was on scene, the doctor said, "I'm a doctor", not "I'm a dermatologist".