Pumping breastmilk on shifts?

alcurran

Forum Ride Along
So, quick question. I breastfeed my son. Has anyone else on here pumped and worked in EMS? I don't want to wean him yet. I pump every few hours (I know I have to do it in between calls). I guess I just kind of need advice. :/

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
So, quick question. I breastfeed my son. Has anyone else on here pumped and worked in EMS? I don't want to wean him yet. I pump every few hours (I know I have to do it in between calls). I guess I just kind of need advice. :/

I did. It was really hard, and it was very awkward with my partners, but I did, for 5 months. There was a lot of mooing involved.

I went in the back of the truck and discreetly pumped, just like I would discreetly nurse my infant. I was so fully diligent with the cleaning. It was not easy. Mostly I did it when we were out at the hospital.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I had two flight nurse partners who did it. Probably a little easier for them than an EMT, since helicopters are not usually as busy as ground EMS and whenever we were at the base, they had plenty of privacy. They'd either kick me out of the crew room (we had 1 bedroom with bunk beds that both flight nurses shared) and do it in there, or just go in the bathroom.

There were several times though, where we'd get kicked out on a long flight and they'd bring their bag with us, and pump in the bathroom at the receiving hospital. Once we went on a fixed wing transport and she pumped in the plane in the seat right next to me on the flight to the referring. I just positioned my seat so I wasn't directly facing her, put my headphones on, laid my seat back, and closed my eyes. Of course she covered herself with a sheet or something, as well. Might have been a little awkward for her but she didn't seem to mind and I didn't either.

Craig Alan Evans

Forum Lieutenant
We had a member of our department do it for nearly 6 months. You should have seen the look on the guys faces when she said she used it in the Mac and Cheese. Lmao

But seriously, it was well received by everyone and it went well. Family First!
But the Mac an Cheese story is a true one.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
We had a member of our department do it for nearly 6 months. You should have seen the look on the guys faces when she said she used it in the Mac and Cheese. Lmao

But seriously, it was well received by everyone and it went well. Family First!
But the Mac an Cheese story is a true one.

She used it in the Mac and cheese? Really?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
She used it in the Mac and cheese? Really?

One of my old partners who I am friends with on Facebook posted 2 days ago that she should have used her breast milk in her mac and cheese instead of almond milk :blink:

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Just be discreet, be sanitary.. You can get yourself on a pumping schedule where you only need to pump once per shift. Just one big dump, and you're done for the day..

You can always tell anyone who jests that you want to keep your supply up so you can have the option of donating to the NICU..

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
my partner pumped on duty, wasn't a problem. we usually went out of service while she was pumping so she wouldn't be interrupted. management and everyone was cool with it. it was kinda nice getting 30min of downtime 2-3x per day.:)

Niesje

Forum Crew Member
I don't see why it wouldn't work. There are some good examples already posted, but be consistent about pumping so you don't go dry. It can be really hard to keep up your supply when you pump.

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
I don't see why it wouldn't work. There are some good examples already posted, but be consistent about pumping so you don't go dry. It can be really hard to keep up your supply when you pump.

Yes! Also, the quality of your pump can affect supply.. Some insurance companies will provide pumps to their patients, the local La Leche League has good ones for sale or rent... Just don't get frustrated if it seems your supply iappears to be dropping.. The levels in a pump aren't an accurate indicator of supply, obviously an infant is the most efficient way. But don't assume that since you aren't getting "satisfactory" levels, that it's a supply issue. It could be your pump.

Wes

Forum Lieutenant
I had a colleague who did. Busy service too. If it got too busy, she'd call the on duty supervisor and we'd be out of service for about 15-30 minutes.