Probationary Members

hitechredneckemt

Forum Crew Member
I am just looking for some in put. My volunteer dept. does not like the term Probationary member. Does anyone see a problem with it

Arkymedic

Forum Captain
How about FNG then? :D

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I am just looking for some in put. My volunteer dept. does not like the term Probationary member. Does anyone see a problem with it

Nope. I don't. I think 'probie' is a very accepted word in the fire world.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
I would submit that "Probie" is a whole lot better than most other terms that you'll most likely be called in your first year. According to this facinating history of the Lexington FD, the term "New Boy" was used for probationary firemen way back when. More chilling is the term "Parakeet" or "Hole Finder" :ph34r: which I have also been (jokingly, I hope) called in the past.

Asclepius

Forum Lieutenant

I don't have much of a suggestion on terminology, but I would like to applaud your department for being a forward thinking agency. We tend to eat our young in EMS and volunteer agencies, especially, have great staffing problems because we don't seem to be able to manage effectively. By that, I mean we do a great job, in the act of providing the service we provide, but we don't do well in managing the people we work with or fostering an educational and encouraging environment to help sharpen our "probationary employees." I'm happy to hear that your agency is at least trying to do something proactive to try to change to be more welcoming.

OP
OP
H

hitechredneckemt

Forum Crew Member
Im a firefighter and accept traditions the same as i did when i was in the service. Some things dont need fixed if they arnt broke

Anomalous

Forum Lieutenant
I don't have much of a suggestion on terminology, but I would like to applaud your department for being a forward thinking agency. We tend to eat our young in EMS and volunteer agencies, especially, have great staffing problems because we don't seem to be able to manage effectively. By that, I mean we do a great job, in the act of providing the service we provide, but we don't do well in managing the people we work with or fostering an educational and encouraging environment to help sharpen our "probationary employees." I'm happy to hear that your agency is at least trying to do something proactive to try to change to be more welcoming.

Good point. I did like the term 'parakeet' though. Especially on hazmat calls.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I'm a probationary teacher, and I've been a probationary EMT. Learn from my mistakes... stay in once place!

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I have earned the effectionate name of "sparky" for at least the next year... Some members (FF/EMTs) generally see me as an EMT dog-- just along for the ride, and for the most part until about a month ago, that was true, then I got my card...

In response to your question, I think that essentially all of the above terms are terms of endeerment, and not really meant to hurt or demean, just joke with...

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Many employers have a "probationary period" where the employment relationship is re-evaluated 3 or 6 months after hire... if the employee is a total F-up, then the relationship can be terminated easily at that time.

Many fire companies have similar programs... it provides a period for the current members to get to know the new guys/gals, and the newbies to get their feet wet.