private service or fire department?

Do you ride the ambulance at a fire department or a private ambulance service?

• Fire department

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • private service

Votes: 20 60.6%
  • other

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters

EMTmcc

Forum Ride Along
If your an EMT or paramedic, where do you work at? A private ambulance service or a fire department? And can anyone give me some basic info or some benefits of either or? And if its a fire department I mean on the ambulance not on the engine . Thank you

Joe

Forum Captain
Private but the fd provides the medics. If its als they ride in with us. Decent system imo

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Private. Every 911 call gets an ALS ambulance (at least 1 medic on the ambulance) and a Fire Medic engine response (at least 1 medic on the engine). Calls can't be down graded to BLS once an ALS provider is on scene unless it's a MCI.

Pro: every call gets a medic
Cons: every call gets a medic

OP
OP
E

EMTmcc

Forum Ride Along
So who is going to run more 911? The reason i ask is I am going job hunting very soon.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
All depends on your area as to who runs more.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Frankly if you're looking for a job and have (I assume) no experience, it's kind of a moot point. Jobs are difficult to come by and to limit the places you look based only on who runs more 911 will likely make it impossible for you to find a job. Apply anywhere and everywhere and hope that a company that you like picks you up. If not jump ship to somewhere else after you get more experience.

Also getting on a fire department often means took g through the civil service process which can be exceptionally time consuming as well as very competitive, especially considering the push towards ALS FDs in many areas.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
I volunteer for a fire department and I work for another, larger fire department.

OP
OP
E

EMTmcc

Forum Ride Along
Thank you so much. And yes thats what i planned on doing. I will apply anywhere and everywhere that hires basics. One more question, I am working on a resume also, what documents should I make sure are included? Such as cpr card , basic cert, etc.

wadford

Forum Crew Member
I would include all of your cards, plus any additional certs you may have. I don't know if you have to have NIMS in your state (we have to have them here) but include those, and any additional FEMA certs.

EMTSTUDENT25

Forum Lieutenant
Frankly if you're looking for a job and have (I assume) no experience, it's kind of a moot point. Jobs are difficult to come by and to limit the places you look based only on who runs more 911 will likely make it impossible for you to find a job. Apply anywhere and everywhere and hope that a company that you like picks you up. If not jump ship to somewhere else after you get more experience.

Also getting on a fire department often means took g through the civil service process which can be exceptionally time consuming as well as very competitive, especially considering the push towards ALS FDs in many areas.

100% agree...

One more question, I am working on a resume also, what documents should I make sure are included? Such as cpr card , basic cert, etc.

I wouldn't worry about including your cards until requested by hiring agency. Unless they specifically tell you otherwise. I've experienced both...One agency requested I bring legiable copies to interview the other requested them after I was given the written offer of employment.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
100% agree...

I wouldn't worry about including your cards until requested by hiring agency. Unless they specifically tell you otherwise. I've experienced both...One agency requested I bring legiable copies to interview the other requested them after I was given the written offer of employment.

It certainly doesn't hurt to come prepared with several copies of your resume, photocopies of your certifications (EMT, Drivers License, CPR certification, additional certifications, etc), and a copy of your driving record (from your local DMV, for about $5).

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Go to www.usajobs.gov and enter in Emergency Medical technician: you have to jump through alot of hoops to get hired by the government but it pays well.
EMT-B starting pay is around $34,000 yr; Paramedic starts around $40,000 (I made over $60,000 last year)

Air Force pays civilians better than the army.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Oh and you have to be Nationally registered to work for the government; although if you are certified in the state that you are going to work in you usually get a year to become nationally registered. Interesting thing is that you don't have to be registered or certified in the state that you work: even if you transport outside of your base