Prehospital Pitocin

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
Anyone have ideas where I could look to maybe find some stats on how often it is used nation wide, or studies done on whether it's beneficial or not in the prehospital setting? Something along those lines maybe?

s4l

Forum Probie
Why would you give pit preshosp? Unless you want a baby in your rig, I wouldn't. :p

OP
OP
fma08

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
Could some of you who have it in your protocols, post that protocol or a link to where it's at for me? I'm doing some research. Thanks^_^

cm4short

Forum Lieutenant
Last edited by a moderator:

FFMedic1911

Forum Crew Member
We had it in our protocols here at the dept. I work at.We never used it so we removed it.We are located in Kentucky.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
pitocin is useless on a rig for only one reason...... early expiration. they only have about a 1 month expiration unless you make the IV bolus in the back of the rig with a vial of pitocin.

My opinion.... listen to the generic rule. High O2, Rapid Transport, and fund"al" massage.

OP
OP
fma08

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
pitocin is useless on a rig for only one reason...... early expiration. they only have about a 1 month expiration unless you make the IV bolus in the back of the rig with a vial of pitocin.

My opinion.... listen to the generic rule. High O2, Rapid Transport, and fund"al" massage.

That's what we do at our service ^_^

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
FMA08
Here is the link to our protocols and meds.
http://www.gov.ns.ca/health/ehs/documents.asp
Look under Medical director and you will find our policies, procedures and protocols. They are in PDF format and have an index on the left.
Pitocin goes by the name of oxytocin here.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
PA allows for it... but I haven't found a service that actually carries Pit.

POST-PARTUM HEMORRHAGE
STATEWIDE ALS PROTOCOL #7087

See Emergency Childbirth Protocol # 781

Assure all fetuses have been delivered

Administer Oxygen

Firmly massage the uterus

Initiate IV/IO NSS, 500 mL bolus
(If hypotension, administer up to 2000 mL NSS at wide-open rate)

Monitor ECG/Pulse Oximetry

Contact Medical Command

Oxytocin IV infusion (if available)
10-20 units/1000mL NSS at wide open rate

If hypotension
Follow Shock Protocol #7005

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief

wyoskibum

Forum Captain
We use to carry it in my old service and never used it in a 5 year period. It was deauthorized by the state for the same reasons. We do carry in my current service, haven't heard of anyone using it here either. Just another drug we have to outdate.