Physician responsibility vs expedience

RedBlanketRunner

Opheophagus Hannah Cuddler
I have acute nerve damage from childhood exposure to lead and other toxins, exascerbated by prolonged exposure to petro-chemicals. My myelin was described to me as 'shredded' by one neurologist.

When in my 40's I contracted an acute infection and the physician went the 'shotgun' approach, IV metronidazole and Augmentin. These had some effect and after 14 days I was released from the hospital. However, I was kept on the antibiotics, 6 more weeks IV then oral for a total of 3 1/2 months.

Within 2 to 3 years post episode, I noted my nerve condition had degenerated considerably and I developed an acute hypersensitivity with a degree of anaphylaxis to the entire penicillin family.

I continually am wondering if the physician could have, should have explored alternatives to those drugs. Metronidazole is well established in causing and aggravating nerve damage and prolonged use of penicillin often causes hypersensitivity or worse.
After the initial diagnosis and treatment being started the physician did nothing further, not seeking less hazardous alternative drugs even after 2 months and minor flare ups of the infection still recurring.

So what is the responsibility of the physician? Should they explore alternative avenues of treatment? Should they take potential side effects and contraindications into account?

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Was that the accepted treatment regimen of the day? If so, you got nothing.

You could have asked for a second opinion If you were not sure.

That’s on you.
You're on this guy like white on rice. :D
I like it.

OP
OP
RedBlanketRunner

RedBlanketRunner

Was that the accepted treatment regimen of the day?
As it turned out, I later discovered it was not. Flagyl-Augment was a broad spectrum stop gap while path did the culture. Checking with another physician a year later Ancef would have been a much more suitable regimen.

I assume you have a physicians antibiotic cross reference available and are giving them out for free?

Last edited:

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Standing by for more IDF.

OP
OP
RedBlanketRunner

RedBlanketRunner

Was that the accepted treatment regimen of the day? If so, you got nothing.

You could have asked for a second opinion If you were not sure.

That’s on you.
Was that the accepted? How about you tell me? I was busy with a slight case of systemic infection and all those silly side effects of trying to survive.
You seem to infer patients should second guess physicians as a general rule. Certainly something an armchair authority far removed from reality would state.

You're on this guy like white on rice. :D
I like it.
Let's take this rice analogy to where it belongs. Fluffy stuff that health wise is of very little value and can cause health problems on down the road.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
So what is the responsibility of the physician? Should they explore alternative avenues of treatment? Should they take potential side effects and contraindications into account?

IMO, in general, yes and yes, regarding the last two questions. I also believe patients should be their own, best advocates -- not because it's fair or required, but because their health may depend on it.

I figure pretty much everyone on this board with more than a couple of years experience in medicine would have stories about standing up for themselves or their families to medical professionals who were showing questionable judgment.

silver

Forum Asst. Chief

It's not wise to seek medical advice on the internet, nor is it to provide judgment of one's treatment plan without knowing more specifics. I would recommend you seek discussion with a physician privy to your medical history if you want more information about your previous treatment and the reported lasting effects you attribute to your physician's care.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
Was that the accepted? How about you tell me? I was busy with a slight case of systemic infection and all those silly side effects of trying to survive.
You seem to infer patients should second guess physicians as a general rule. Certainly something an armchair authority far removed from reality would state.

You are the one who has repeatedly posted about how MDs and RNs are woefully inadequate and that you know more and better over your 40 years, including imitating a physician in Thailand.

I would have thought that someone with your vast knowledge would have had an idea about how to direct your healthcare.

Guess not...

Know your limitations.

Summit

Critical Crazy
This is not an ALS advanced medical discussion. It is a personal experience/advice thread

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
If you really think you were harmed you should be seeking legal counsel. Nobody here is a lawyer, nobody here knows your medical history well enough to tell you if your treatment was good or bad.