Patient dropped the race card

Pneumothorax

Forum Lieutenant
I just had a patient that wanted to go to the local ER, not a problem, let's go! As she was getting in the ambulance her friend tries to get in, we explain that we don't transport passengers, a which point the patient say fine I don't want to go. I explain again, same result. As I ask her to sign a refusal she says I wouldn't let her friend go because "I'm black".

Ever have this happen to you?

Back story, Pt couldn't give a straight answer about what was wrong.
I have 29 years as a EMT the last 11 as a paramedic, with the last 6 working inner-city.

what was her chief complaint?

And the race card---really? That's so lame.

myfuturegoals

Forum Ride Along
It is sad how now a days people (mankind) still pull out the "your black, Im white, hes yellow, your blue" card. Especially to EMS when the medics have taken a stand and oath to help those in need, they still share their idiotic verbal comments. It's just really frustrating that there are human beings like that still out there.

Yeah it is sad but i have to admit that at times i drop the race card just out of comedy. It just makes me feel better to know that i can laugh about it rather than get angry. But still i feel hurt when it is used as a serious racial experience.

myfuturegoals

Forum Ride Along
Wow dude that is ridiculous on her part. I throw race cards out from time to time but not for situations like these.

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
Got called to my first pediatric as a student (2 month old boy breathing difficulties) and when we get there fire is already on scene dealing with the baby and a large crowd of black brethren around them. F/F carries baby into the rig while the medic and I are prepping IV's, suction, breathing apparatus etc. Outcome of call is baby is transported to hospital and all ends up OK. Outside hospital the EMT (white female) is telling us what happened outside the truck whilst we were dealing with baby before we got underway. Apparently one of the neighbors got REALLY nasty making comments about why did it take us so long to get on scene, was it because they are black? Fire station is half the distance from the scene that the ambulance station is, derrh!!!

sirengirl

Forum Lieutenant
Outside hospital the EMT (white female) is telling us what happened outside the truck whilst we were dealing with baby before we got underway. Apparently one of the neighbors got REALLY nasty making comments about why did it take us so long to get on scene, was it because they are black?

"911 what is your emergency?"
"My baby! He's not breathing!!"
"Okay ma'am, I'm sending you a fire truck and an ambulance. Now I need you to stay calm and answer some questions for me. How old is your baby?"
"He's 2 months old."
"Does he have any lung defects?"
"No. Oh, help my baby!"
"They're on their way, ma'am. Did he choke?"
"I don't think so."
"Alright ma'am, stay on the phone with me. Oh, by the way, are you black?"

Yeah cause THAT'S how it goes down. <_< Ignorant twits.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Watch some documentaries about Katrina.

You can subsitutue the words "poor" or "green" or whatever for "Blank", but the reasoning of many of the people they interview runs as follows: I didn't evacuate because I didn't trust the government, they didn't evacuate me because I'm (Blank), do you think they'd have taken as long as they did to come get me if I were (not-Blank), my (relative) is dead and lying on the ground around the corner, do you think they'd let that happen if I were (not-Blank)?

Last edited by a moderator:

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
I can't stand the race card or any "cards" when people drop them. I spent the first 6 years of my paramedic career in an area of south Mississippi that is mostly poor and largely black. Only a few times did a card get dropped by a patient, bystanders, or family. My response when it was pulled was usually along the lines of "I dislike everybody so don't feel special". That got them to be quiet long enough to politely explain that I was there to help, I would do everything I could to help and I didn't appreciate being accused of the contrary. We treated everyone with respect And got the same in return.

Sent from my electronic overbearing life controller

DrDarknuss

Forum Ride Along
If someone is going to say something like that, you have to realize that they are not operating on the same wavelength as you.

I almost look at it as trying to rationalize with someone hallucinating. You just re-emphasize that it is policy and don't give it anymore attention. The worst thing to do is try and engage them in conversation my telling them things like your fire chief is black.

Cup of Joe

Forum Captain
If someone is going to say something like that, you have to realize that they are not operating on the same wavelength as you.

I almost look at it as trying to rationalize with someone hallucinating. You just re-emphasize that it is policy and don't give it anymore attention. The worst thing to do is try and engage them in conversation my telling them things like your fire chief is black.

Just say something like, "No, its policy." If they still don't like it, they can track down the agency and complain. Most people won't go through that much trouble to file a formal complaint.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
You won't help be because I am Jack of Spades!

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I have seen a family of a recently deceased morbidly obese patient demand the white doctor because they thought the black doctor was sent to deal with them.