Paramedic with Epilepsy

toyskater86

Forum Lieutenant
Just wondering if there are any employers out there with some insight. Would epilepsy become an issue when considering an possible hire for a role that you would normally require an ambulance drivers license? Someone with recently diagnosed epilepsy taking meds will not be able to obtain one. How does ADA fall into play with this?

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I wish I knew what you said, Shirtz.

Last time I spoke about people with uncontrollable, unpredictable, and risky health issues (re:AIDS) working in EMS everyone lost their minds... So I'll stay out of this one.
ADA... Puh-lease. Fit or not fit for duty... Period.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
First: An employer only has to make reasonable accommodations.

Second: Talk to your neurologist and see what they have to say. They should be a good source of information to decide if you are fit or not fit to work in an EMS environment.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
I feel like alot of insurance companies would be hesitant to allow you to be hired due to the possibility of you seizing behind the wheel. I feel like there's a large chance they will not insure you.

In addition, what your neurologist says would make a huge difference. If you had seizures as a child but haven't in the past decade I doubt it would be a big deal. If you still have occasional seizures I could potentially see it being an issue. Also depending what triggers seizures (anxiety, etc). The last thing you would want is to have a seizure while trying to take care of a critical patient. Then you become a second patient.

Ultimately it will be up to your employer. But those are some aspects that I would keep in mind.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
^ pretty much this.

I'll add this: it's irresponsible and unsafe for you as a provider to take something potentially dangerous into patient care. If you can reasonably expect to seize in the performance of your duties despite medications, then you don't belong in prehospital medicine.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I'll add this: it's irresponsible and unsafe for you as a provider to take something potentially dangerous into patient care.
Yes, I like how you've changed your perspective since the last debate about bringing something potentially dangerous into pt care.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
No, the last one was only a "danger" as far as one could warp reality. Epilepsy's a pretty dangerous thing if you happen to be about to do something amazing or be driving.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Mmmhmmm... Okay.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
You two just agree to disagree.

Frosty1687

Forum Probie
Sorry to bring this thread back around...just dropped my Ambulance certificate app in at the DMV. Been controlled with no seizures on Keppra for....6 years in November. It'll be a battle, but I'm willing to stick it out.

phideux

Forum Captain
Had a partner for almost a year on the volunteer squad, we rode hard then, put in tons of hours together. He never told anyone he took meds for seizures. A few yrs back, after running a hard 25hrs during one of the bike rallies, we had signed off and left the hospital. I had my face in the laptop typing up the report when I notice we are slowly idling down the road, through a red light, I look over and he's seizing in the drivers seat, i flip on the lights and steer us across the street to the curb and knock it into park. By the time I got out and around to his side he had stopped seizing but was pretty out of it. After a minute he started coming around, looked at me with a wild look in his eyes, pushed me out of the way and took off towards the road. By then the light had changed traffic was going, and it's busy, it's bike week. I took off after him and tackled him before he could get smacked by the traffic, What a sight we must have been for the tourists, a Paramedic chasing down and tackling his EMT at a busy intersection. I walked him back and sat him on the bumper, got dispatch to send me some help. Seems he hadn't had a seizure in years, always compliant with his meds. He didn't take his meds that day, don't know if that, or the stress of the day, or a combo of both, overtired brought it on. It was a hell of a day though, we had 4 pretty tough traumas, and assisted other units twice with arrests, mixed in with a ton of regular calls and minor wrecks. He recovered form the seizure, and he recovered from the broken Scapula I gave him when I tackled him.:p. I laugh about it now, but sometimes I think, what if he had a seizure an hour earlier when we were running to a wreck, or heading to the hospital with 3 of us in the back working a trauma.

Frosty1687

Forum Probie
There's a lot of factors to throw in the mix that lower the seizure threshold. Compliance with meds & taking care of yourself are very important

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Which is why it should be a no-go.

Our job is already risky without adding in other increasing factors.