Other Services your Squad/Department Offers

TheAfterAffect

Forum Lieutenant
Alright, Basically I'm asking what other specialty services your squad or Department or even Paid Job offers.

For Example, My squad is primarily a Volunteer First Aid Squad, But we also offer Water Rescue and Vehicle Rescue/Extrication.

I'd just like to see the wide services that some other places offer, Hell, Include your Fire Department too if your EMS is attached or not.

*100th Post, I feel special*

reaper

Working Bum
High angle/confined space rescue, Dive team,swift water rescue, HazMat, Helo rescue and SWAT medics.

seanm028

Forum Lieutenant
I work for Crisis Response, a service offered by the Phoenix Fire Department. Several other FDs have a crisis response program.

Basically, we're the "What do we do now?" unit. Counseling, contact ME/mortuary, connecting people with resources, driving families to the hospital, etc. etc. etc.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Volunteer Search and Rescue team.

Wilderness/Mountain SAR, "in-town" SAR, technical rock rescue, swiftwater rescue, event medical & bike EMS, Life Trak (program that fits adults and children at risk of wandering - think autism and Alzheimer's - with transmitter bracelets that we can pinpoint the location of) operational assistance to law enforcement (evidence searching, crowd control, crime scene security, trainings, etc) operational assistance to fire agencies (perimeter control, rolling hose, setting up RIT, changing SCBAs, operating rehab, trainings)

Epi-do

I see dead people
Dive team, swift water rescue, rope rescue, hazmat, and SWAT medics. We are also in the process of adding a confined space team.

I almost forgot - we also do Project Lifesaver. It sounds like it is similar to the Life Trak program LucidResq mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
My private has considered holding free blood pressure clinics to teach the EMTs how they are done. Is that considered internal training or a public service? Should that be a tax write off?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
We have ambulances.

At the full time job, we also have an ALS chase car.

At the volunteer squad, we have mister fans and H2O for fireground rehab. And a bike team that doesn't get much action.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I almost forgot - we also do Project Lifesaver. It sounds like it is similar to the Life Trak program LucidResq mentioned.

The former name of our program was Project Lifesaver. It was changed to Life Trak but it is practically identical. Is your program part of an EMS agency? I'm curious. In CO the program is run by sheriff's offices, with duties delegated to SAR teams in some instances. We respond to calls with a few specially trained SO deputies but they rely heavily on us. We were also doing like 95% of the battery changes until recently, but they're trying a program to mail them out and check on each client every 3 mos instead of monthly.

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
For Example, My squad is primarily a Volunteer First Aid Squad.

Ugh. I despise that term with an unending hate.

You are with an EMS agency/dept. Take your pick as to the last moniker.

First Aid is band aids and slings.

Back on topic...

I work for an dept that provides Tactical ALS, bike team EMS, the Lead Agency in South Jersey for the NJ EMS Task Force, Fire Ground rehab, ALS intercept, BLS interfacility and prehospital, CCT/SCT, Flight Team, MAV, courier, EMS education, MedCom dispatching, and public relations.

There is a lot one can do working for the agency I work for, not to mention we can pick up shifts throughout the entire hospital system.

I occasionally will work in the ER.

Hockey

Quackers
Oh yeah, we just started an explorer program...

Don't know how good thats going to actually work out...

Epi-do

I see dead people
Is your program part of an EMS agency? I'm curious. In CO the program is run by sheriff's offices, with duties delegated to SAR teams in some instances.

Here it is run through the fire departments or police departments. We have one station that is detailed to the program, although everyone has had training. That way, we are all at least familiar with the program.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
ALS and BLS emergencies, ALS and BLS interfacility transports, wheelchair van transports, medical staffing for large events, public assists.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
We do BLS/Fire and community events like stand by for athletic events, first aid/CPR classes, wellness checks, free blood pressure checks at local fairs. We've also been known to round up livestock, help with flooding, Babysitting and glorified taxi services.

SAR unit does high/low angle rescue, swiftwater (in the process of setting it up), evidence searches for LEO, and whatever else the sheriff wants us to do.

rescuepoppy

Forum Lieutenant
ALS/BLS ambulances,SAR,swift water,high angle,wilderness,vehicle extrication,dive team, event standby,fire ground rehab and standby,community events. Plus the others mentioned by Bossycow. We are here basically for any need in our community

NolaRabbit

Forum Crew Member
Where I work we offer Heavy Rescue/Extrication, Swift Water, High Angle Rope Rescue and a bike team. We had SWAT medics until PD got a new SWAT commander and gave EMS the boot. We also have one Gator and one ASAP vehicle for large events, and we usually have at least one sprint medic per shift to run on high-priority items.

tydek07

Forum Captain
The service I work for also has a wheel chair service (ReadyWheels) and a medical supply store (Merigan Medical).