Orange County and SE LA County - Paramedic Private Ambulance

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Even if it is a nurse running things I would be interested in companies that do critical care transport as well.
I can't answer your other questions, but I will say that unless things have changed (and it has been many moons since I was working on a PRN Ambulance CCT unit), but from what I saw and experienced, LA/OC private ambulance CCT units are 1 Nurse, and 2 EMTs, not medics

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
I can't answer your other questions, but I will say that unless things have changed (and it has been many moons since I was working on a PRN Ambulance CCT unit), but from what I saw and experienced, LA/OC private ambulance CCT units are 1 Nurse, and 2 EMTs, not medics
Yep. Same for me, but this was many more moons ago at Bowers. It was 2 EMTs plus an RN, RT or MD. Never a medic.

Jn1232th

Forum Captain
At lynch we all get trained on pumps, but we don’t titrate. So far most calls that have pumps tend to be heparin drips that we set to hospitals pre set rate. As for vent calls, we do use ventilators but does require additional class that they have periodically. Typically those calls are medic/medic or occasionally medic/EMT. I think there is normally two vent units on per day

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
At lynch we all get trained on pumps, but we don’t titrate. So far most calls that have pumps tend to be heparin drips that we set to hospitals pre set rate. As for vent calls, we do use ventilators but does require additional class that they have periodically. Typically those calls are medic/medic or occasionally medic/EMT. I think there is normally two vent units on per day
For your vented patients are you guys transporting patients who need sedation infusions (Versed, Propofol, etc) or the long term SNF patients who don’t need any sort of sedation?

Jn1232th

Forum Captain
For your vented patients are you guys transporting patients who need sedation infusions (Versed, Propofol, etc) or the long term SNF patients who don’t need any sort of sedation?

really depends. Typically it’s more of the SNF patient. They do transport Re-triage type calls as well with RSI on board. as for sedation we can transport benzodiazepine infusions. No propofol or paralytics. Then if needed can give verses for sedation In standing orders

Mitchellmvhs

Forum Crew Member
I work for Doctors Ambulance in OC, we’re owned by AMR but we only do CCT with nurses. Only time I’ve had medics on board were 911, but they were fire or I had a medic and RN for a covid transport, but they were a flight team when we picked up PT from airport

wtferick

Forum Captain
I currently work at lynch as a medic. 911 starts July 1st which there taking very seriously actually but chances of getting on 911 side right now are slim. Currently I’m on IFT side which is actually not bad at all. 80% of our calls are skilled nursing or board and cares to ER. I say 1/2 time it’s BLS but other half are legit medical issues. This week alone I ran a stroke, TIA, hyperglycemic of 600 and symptomatic Brady in the 40’s. It’s standing orders as well so base contact is never made. We do run mutual aid as well typically with Huntington Beach when they are busy. IFT wise it really depends on day. Can be monitor transfer for insurance reasons, or a re-triage for stroke/stemi/trauma. Some medics are vent certified through an additional course and all medics are trained on pumps which are nice ( mostly just monitor though. No titration).
As for LA/OC companies I feel it’s the best but pay really depends on experience. Some places do pay well ($30 hour) but typically are just monitor transfers from what I’m told by crews.
My ER loves using Lynch ALS! Lol You guys being able to transport TPA and not “needing” a nurse on board is such a time saver. Lynch>OCFA

Jn1232th

Forum Captain
My ER loves using Lynch ALS! Lol You guys being able to transport TPA and not “needing” a nurse on board is such a time saver. Lynch>OCFA

Oh I bet! Haha I have yet to have a TPA drip but always seemed Counter productive when I will see fire show up for a re triage and have to discontinue a drip of any sorts other than saline.

Reactions: NPO

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm surprised they let them do TPA since it's not in the state scope of practice. I'm assuming there's a stipulation that if it's on a pump and "set it and forget it" then it doesn't require a nurse?

Jn1232th

Forum Captain
I'm surprised they let them do TPA since it's not in the state scope of practice. I'm assuming there's a stipulation that if it's on a pump and "set it and forget it" then it doesn't require a nurse?

basically. We can’t titrate it or anything like that. Just set to pre set rate at sending ER and discontinue if any complications pop up

wtferick

Forum Captain
Oh I bet! Haha I have yet to have a TPA drip but always seemed Counter productive when I will see fire show up for a re triage and have to discontinue a drip of any sorts other than saline.
Exactly. Plus, OCFA screws up sending a patient with Stroke like symptoms BLS a lot of the times. It would just be embarrassing for that same crew to transport out again haha.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
basically. We can’t titrate it or anything like that. Just set to pre set rate at sending ER and discontinue if any complications pop up
I mean, that's essentially how TPA works anyway lol.

We can take anything we want on a transfer, as long as the sending doctor okays it. Usually that means a pump, but we can push meds and titrate too. It's nice having the freedom, but I also kind of understand the other side of the coin.

What I don't understand is why it took until 2020 to realize that private paramedics can maintain continuity of care for many patients without needing a fire helmet.

wtferick

Forum Captain
Pretty much. “Set it and forget it”

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
Any update on how Lynch is doing with their 911 contract?

I’ve been rooting for them, but I’ve heard some bad things through the grapevine.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

I’ve been rooting for them, but I’ve heard some bad things through the grapevine.
With how much slander OCFA has been passing around I wouldn’t trust anything that you heard “through the grapevine”.

Jn1232th

Forum Captain

so far so good! No issues with calls being ran. They got there first ROSC the other day From what supervisors told me. I believe only real issue is with uploading onto new servers and such but that’s just technical.
call wise, all on scene times have been good and no issues with base contact or treatments.
The surrounding cities though have been not using us for mutual aid, even when needed.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
True, I’ve been hearing a lot of rumors that are not true regarding how it’s going. Still a lot of hate and a lot of people wanting it to fail
It’s the same story anytime any city decides to go away from the “normal”. Happened in Calimesa, happened in Victorville, and is happening out there. Never really understood the mentality of “I hope they fail”.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
What changed in Victorville?