Opinions

bigmoosewi

Forum Probie
Found this on a on-line site while studying for my NREMT test. I would like opinions on what others would answer please.

10: If you are en route with a conscious adult patient who is having chest pain and becomes unconscious, the first step is to:
A: check respirations.
B: check for a pulse.
C: stop the vehicle immediately.
D: get medical control permission to use the AED.

TxParamedic

Forum Crew Member
Hmmmmm....... How did that thing they taught us in school go?...
LOC
A
B
C

I seem to remember something about airway and breathing being important.

I'll go with

a: check respirations.

Did i pass? It's been awhile.

OP
OP
B

bigmoosewi

Forum Probie
I am not going to say yes or no yet. I will wait till a couple more people reply to see what they would say. ^_^

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
For the new standards wouldn't it be to check pulse.

JPINFV

Gadfly
NREMT follows AHA Emergency Cardiac Care guidelines. As such, CAB would be the appropriate acronym to use and would yield B as the proper question. Additionally, to narrow down the field C (stop vehicle immediately) isn't necessary yet and D (AED with med command approval) is wrong because we are neither to that point yet, nor is an AED something that needs online medical control approval.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Hmmmmm....... How did that thing they taught us in school go?...
LOC
A
B
C

I seem to remember something about airway and breathing being important.

I'll go with

a: check respirations.

Did i pass? It's been awhile.

It's C-A-B now. And for lay rescuers, if someone goes unresponsive, and remains that way, they just do compressions only.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
B is the correct answer for the real world. BUT!!!! and a huge but. The NREMT test is still on the OLD ABC standards. It will be that way till the end of the year for basics I believe.

So for the TEST A is the correct answer.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard

crazycajun

Forum Captain
The correct answer for now is A.

OP
OP
B

bigmoosewi

Forum Probie
According to the website when I answered with A that was incorrect. I guess those "teaching" materials aren't always correct.

freebyrd

Forum Crew Member
before i read all the responses i said B they taught us to grab for a pulse,
although they also said look listen and feel as in look for chest rise listen for reparations and feel for a pulse,

but if you are preparing to do cpr you kind of do that all at the same time.
doh!
the answers still B

flyfisher151

Forum Crew Member
Still teaching ABC in my current course. But I hear CAB is coming. I would have said A and been wrong with you.
There is a huge debate going on in the local community about the new "standards". Even in class.

crazycajun

Forum Captain
before i read all the responses i said B they taught us to grab for a pulse,
although they also said look listen and feel as in look for chest rise listen for reparations and feel for a pulse,

but if you are preparing to do cpr you kind of do that all at the same time.
doh!
the answers still B

Not sure who taught you CPR but the Look, Listen and Feel method has nothing to do with pulse. Look for chest rise, listen for breath sounds and feel for air movement.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Not sure who taught you CPR but the Look, Listen and Feel method has nothing to do with pulse. Look for chest rise, listen for breath sounds and feel for air movement.

You can argue that the multiple points of articulation between the fingertips and the ears allows one to position their body in such away as to check for respirations at the same time as they check for a pulse.

crazycajun

Forum Captain
You can argue that the multiple points of articulation between the fingertips and the ears allows one to position their body in such away as to check for respirations at the same time as they check for a pulse.

You are correct however the feel portion of the official CPR training format has always stated to feel for air movement on your cheek and if done properly both hands would be on the ground/surface if the patient is supine and on a hard surface

JPINFV

Gadfly
You are correct however the feel portion of the official CPR training format has always stated to feel for air movement on your cheek and if done properly both hands would be on the ground/surface if the patient is supine and on a hard surface

...and the people who write the CPR manual needs to do some situps.

crazycajun

Forum Captain
...and the people who write the CPR manual needs to do some situps.

I agree. The point I was making is that teaching methods that are not approved for certification is a deviation from the standard. If an instructor will deviate from this and still pass a student what else is he/she changing in the EMT training? No offense but I hope DHEC does away with EMT-B's here. The training even though 152 hours is just simply not enough. My understanding is the new Advanced EMT course will be 648 hours in South Carolina. I think this will weed out some of the bad instructors and many lazy students.