Oops!

spike91

Forum Lieutenant
Well, I had an interesting evening last night, got me thinking.

Have any of you had to be transported to the hospital by your own agency?

I ride with a relatively small agency, we're all volunteers and very close knit. Yesterday was a great day for me, interviewed and was hired for summer work, passed my ambulance road test, and tested out of an agency-specific class. A bunch of us went out to grab some food together to celebrate at the student union, and myself and another friend grabbed some pizza, the rest got subs/chinese/etc.

Well, at about 2am I woke up with full blown food poisoning. After about 4 hours of the associated fun of vomiting in my dorm hall's bathroom, I seriously considered calling in seeing as I was getting very dehydrated and couldn't keep liquid or food down and was generally weak and still vomiting after all this time.

As I was considering it (main reason I didn't was because it would mean crawling back to my room and finding my phone :rolleyes: ), I couldn't help at laugh at the look on the face of the crew when they showed up to find me. The added irony would probably be that 'intox' would be the first thing to come to mind given the circumstances (big party night) and the fact that it IS a college campus. Would've taken a few weeks to live that down! :p

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
I've fortunately never had occasion to be a patient of my own Squad, though people have had it happen. We do try to take care of our own. In fact, though we usually run 6p-5a, we have gotten a crew together for the occasional daytime IFT if it was a squad member or a member of their family. At least save them a bit on the ambulance bill, you know?

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
QGD.jpg

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
You didn't have true food poisoning... still sucks for you though.

Last edited by a moderator:

foxfire

Forum Asst. Chief
How long were you sick or are you still?
I agree with Linuss, it does not sound like food poisoning. But it stinks that you were sick.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Transported? No. We did respond to one of our own, but it wasn't anything major (pre-existing condition).

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
DISCLAIMER: Don't try this on your own

I was a paramedic in Santa Barbara's North County. I lived in a cabin at the peak of the Santa Ynez Mountains; at the top of nowhere. One freezing cold morning, I fire up my Yamaha 650 to go to work. Starter dead, it took me a half hour to kick start it! Obviously, I'd be late for work.

Got rolling bundled up in two pairs of jeans, socks, shirts, sweater, leatherette jacket, gloves and helmet, undershirt wrapped around my neck and face, and start down the hill to Santa Maria. Coming to Paradise Rd., one of the very few intersecting roads amidst a huge valley with Lake Cachuma in it, I'm doing about 70MPH. A VW bug approaches the intersection, coming up from Paradise. I slow down. It slows down for the stop sign. I tweak the throttle and he pops his clutch and the VW jumps out in front of me. I had about a 2 1/2 foot wide corridor between the VW's rear and a cliff with about a 100 foot drop. I went for it and didn't quite make it.

Long story short, and all witnessed (by a Jehovah's witness coming the other way and I don't think they lie!), we connected, me and the bike separated and both went airborne flew 75 ft. landed and bounced (parallel to each other!) and flew another 25 feet and then the bike stopped. I bounced (on my head!) and skid another 16 feet. Basically, I was catapulted and landed 116 ft. from the point of impact! (I ripped a chunk out of the 1/2 inch thick case-hardened steel crankcase of my bike and totaled the VW!)

I was "out" only for about a minute. When I awoke I found myself sitting up and one of the passengers in the VW had taken my helmet off me. After I screamed at her, "What are you trying to do, turn me into a Quad!!!" I realized, Uh-oh, better lay myself down carefully.

Naturally, an ambulance was called and guys I worked with from the South County came up.

"Get the scoop. Scoop me. Don't touch me except to take my vitals!"

Most of my clothes had been torn to shreds, one boot was off, my helmet cracked, my glasses bent and I did a sensation-based head to toe on myself, checking in with every body part. Until that moment, I never knew you could do that, but you can...if you're conscious enough to be absolutely methodical!

"If I find something I need help with, I'll let you know. If you see me bleeding from somewhere, tell me."

They didn't argue. I got to the hospital, was fully examined and X-Rayed head to toe and released. When I got home, I took a walk up a path through some woods only to find my left ankle swelling; I sprained my foot; I was pissed because I missed it!