One Semester Training, Full & Part Time Job

John Willis

Forum Ride Along
Greetings,

I am currently an EMS student juggling training and working 7 days a week. I have most evenings off and no personal life. Does anyone have advice for better time management and handling all of the required reading and coursework?

-John

Jdog

Forum Crew Member
Honestly, I can't imagine working 7 days a week and trying to make it through an EMT course. You either need to find some time off too study, or just never sleep.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
One or the other has to go. Part time would be your best option. You're still going to have no life, but you'll be able to focus more on your EMT studying.

dutemplar

Forum Captain
Sadly that's what usually kills people in both EMT and Paramedic school. They take on too much "life" and are pulled in too many directions. Work suffers, sleep suffers, health suffers, schooling suffers, and they end up burning everything.

Kind of the phrase "jack of all trades, master of none." Try to do too much at once, and everything suffers all around.

OP
OP
J

John Willis

Forum Ride Along
Things have indeed started to go that way. I have a few tricks for studying at work but they are only semi effective.

DreadPirateRoberts

Forum Probie
I'm somewhat in the same boat, I work a career job (department head, can sometimes end up long hours) and am doing EMT. I don't know how other programs work but it ends up being 4 hours of class time per day, about 3 hours of homework, and 8+ hours of work in a day. It can be a load, but you just have to soldier on and get it done. I'll agree with others and say that a 7 day workweek is a over the top when trying to go to school.

LanceCorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
I am doing pre-med full time and working night shift full time as well. You won't have much time to do stuff, so say goodbye to sleep.

OP
OP
J

John Willis

Forum Ride Along
I did in fact say goodbye to sleep. My update on the situation: I have taken every spare moment possible to study. It is getting easier. Fiscally, I could not afford to quit one of my jobs. I saved up vacation days and I am taking a leave of absence during my upcoming last month of training so I can bone up on everything before the NREMT. Thank you all for your support and advice!

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I assume this is for EMT school. If you have any intention of going the medic route, work as an EMT for a while and save up a bunch of money so you can cut down on hours and still manage class. EMT is manageable with a full time job. Medic on the other hand, not nearly as easily (although I know people who did it). It is not manageable working 7 days a week though, that will have to go.