OK - So I'm done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
There has always been different levels of "banishment" - mostly dealing with how long a member is banned. We generally don't start off with a ban, but will usually issue a warning first. If the problem persists, then we move on to short term bans and work our way up the ladder.

There are very, very few things that will permanently ban a member for, and even fewer that will will do so without a warning first.

If being "banned" only really equates to being put in "time out" I'm not really sure why we were pitching such a fit over the recent events here

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
^
Excellent point.......

and since you can once again PM some "long" time banned folks, me thinks that bannings expire or something????? I dunno. Maybe the reform program do not work in this countrys legal system, but it might work for an online forum, who knows?

reaper

Working Bum
This situation has happened before, the forum always resumes it's normal function many of you have grown accustomed too.

No, it has not returned to normal in over a year. Some just have not been here long enough to know how it use to be.;)

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
I think you should stay.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
To all those who are leaving EMTLife: Please don't. I think it's foolish. Vent isn't even banned anymore. You can tell because you can send her a PM again.

I think it's rash and just as childish as slowing down someone's account to leave in a huff. I think when everyone calms down, things will get better and back to normal.
And yet again the mods have shown that they are unwilling to enforce their own rules. A person gets banned...people throw a hissy fit...the person get's unbanned. So sad. If you are going to make a rule it needs to be enforced impartially and at all times or it becomes meaningless and people start to think it isn't a rule at all and react like this when it (rarely) is followed through.

Of course with that being said I'll probably get permanently banned just so they can prove a point...:p

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
And yet again the mods have shown that they are unwilling to enforce their own rules. A person gets banned...people throw a hissy fit...the person get's unbanned. So sad. If you are going to make a rule it needs to be enforced impartially and at all times or it becomes meaningless and people start to think it isn't a rule at all and react like this when it (rarely) is followed through.

Of course with that being said I'll probably get permanently banned just so they can prove a point...:p

Sometimes people get unbanned because the ban expires. Sometimes, they get unbanned because we reverse the decision for a variety of reasons (none of which are people throwing a "hissy fit"). We realize that we can make mistakes, so we're not above reversing a ban if that is the case.

JPINFV

Gadfly
And yet again the mods have shown that they are unwilling to enforce their own rules.

What rules? The "Free..." posts weren't against any posted rules until yesterday. Of course this didn't stop the back door, double secret ban hammer hits. In fact, I was explicitly told that my signature did not violate any rules.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
What rules? The "Free..." posts weren't against any posted rules until yesterday. Of course this didn't stop the back door, double secret ban hammer hits. In fact, I was explicitly told that my signature did not violate any rules.
I wasn't actually referring to that; I've been gone for a couple weeks and apparently missed out on something...oh well. What I was referring to was then tendency for mods to ignore rules for various posters or reverse a decision as soon as people start whining about it.

I do think it is extremely funny and revealing that, since the last blowup, when someone gets banned there is no indicator other than not being able to send them PM's.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I do think it is extremely funny and revealing that, since the last blowup, when someone gets banned there is no indicator other than not being able to send them PM's.

Making that information available in the first place was a mistake on our part, which we corrected. It does no good for a member's privacy if they are listed as banned when in reality, it is nobody elses business if a member is banned or not.

JPINFV

Gadfly
That changed occured when I hit the point limit for discussing a specific avatar choice of someone. It was further confirmed that it wasn't just my title because KevD's (OP for the off topic thread) user title changed from "Banned" to what ever the generic title is. Similarly, for a while I haven't been able to find the option to change the user title.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
That changed occured when I hit the point limit for discussing a specific avatar choice of someone. It was further confirmed that it wasn't just my title because KevD's (OP for the off topic thread) user title changed from "Banned" to what ever the generic title is. Similarly, for a while I haven't been able to find the option to change the user title.

PM sent.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Making that information available in the first place was a mistake on our part, which we corrected. It does no good for a member's privacy if they are listed as banned when in reality, it is nobody elses business if a member is banned or not.
Funny, I was going to send this as a PM because this thread was locked...but now it's open again...funny.

I'll say it again: if you are going to have rules for this site then they need to be enforced impartially and at all times, and when punishment is meted out it doesn't get revoked because people whine. (and yeah...when people get banned and then almost immediately that get's rescinded when people complain, as has happened twice now...hard to argue that it was done for any other reason) And attempting to hide the consequences of violating the rules behind someones "privacy"...that's weak. If you want people to know the type of behavior that isn't allowed then the consequences of that behavior have to be visible, and if you want to have rules then you need to be willing to stand up and admit your actions in enforcing them, not try and hide it.

foxfire

Forum Asst. Chief
I am one of those posters with the signature line that is now in violation of the new rules. I am also one of the posters that experienced an inability to log onto the site for a couple of days. I thought to myself - do I have a virus? is the site really really busy at Christmas? is it possible that this is in retaliation for my support of a banned individual? - Nah - that's just paranoia.

I believe I have been a good contributor to this site. I don't diss people and generally post well thought out, often humorous, and certainly geared towards improving ourselves and our positions.

I am offended and outraged at heavy handed attempts to silence me. I have no other recourse but to get off this site. I know that no-one will give a s**t because what is my voice in with the thousands among this site but its all I got.

I was hoping to get some goodbyes and well wishes, but this thread will probably get locked, deleted or otherwise silenced as well. I will check back because those wishes would mean a lot to me and then I will delete my account.

I will miss your insight. Wish you would not leave. I can't make head nor tail about this dust storm. I never really do.:unsure: But anyhow I will miss reading your posts. Hope you have a great 2010 and many more years to come.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Funny, I was going to send this as a PM because this thread was locked...but now it's open again...funny.

I'll say it again: if you are going to have rules for this site then they need to be enforced impartially and at all times, and when punishment is meted out it doesn't get revoked because people whine. (and yeah...when people get banned and then almost immediately that get's rescinded when people complain, as has happened twice now...hard to argue that it was done for any other reason) And attempting to hide the consequences of violating the rules behind someones "privacy"...that's weak. If you want people to know the type of behavior that isn't allowed then the consequences of that behavior have to be visible, and if you want to have rules then you need to be willing to stand up and admit your actions in enforcing them, not try and hide it.

How has it happened twice? JP was temporarily banned and served his entire ban.

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't really understand what the big fuss is. I guess I don't come here enough or read enough threads.

foxfire

Forum Asst. Chief
I don't really understand what the big fuss is. I guess I don't come here enough or read enough threads.

Has something to do with some people getting banned for something they did or did not do. Which then left half bulldozed brush piles everywhere.
And others have stood up for the people banned in some way. That splashed gaseline all over the place.
And the new rule was the spark that lit the gas puddles which then lit the gas soaked brush piles.
And there are sides being taken and the fire goes on and on.

Sorry I think in pics. :ph34r:

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
How has it happened twice? JP was temporarily banned and served his entire ban.
Did he? Pretty sure he was back after only a day or two and not a couple weeks which was the "rule" at the time. My bad if that's not the case.

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
I am one of those posters with the signature line that is now in violation of the new rules. I am also one of the posters that experienced an inability to log onto the site for a couple of days. I thought to myself - do I have a virus? is the site really really busy at Christmas? is it possible that this is in retaliation for my support of a banned individual? - Nah - that's just paranoia.

I believe I have been a good contributor to this site. I don't diss people and generally post well thought out, often humorous, and certainly geared towards improving ourselves and our positions.

I am offended and outraged at heavy handed attempts to silence me. I have no other recourse but to get off this site. I know that no-one will give a s**t because what is my voice in with the thousands among this site but its all I got.

I was hoping to get some goodbyes and well wishes, but this thread will probably get locked, deleted or otherwise silenced as well. I will check back because those wishes would mean a lot to me and then I will delete my account.

Sounds to me that you've made a decision in the heat of anger. In addition, you've drummed up a conspiracy theory against yourself and apparently didn't get any info from a moderator that you were in fact in any sort of trouble (at least you haven't divulged such information).

Perhaps taking some time to "count to ten" and rethinking things might give you some reprieve to your original thoughts and open the door for reconsideration? That's always worked pretty good for me.

Hal9000

Forum Captain
Interesting. I say that a lot, as it is bland and unoffensive.

I come to this site mostly to read and learn, to see what mistakes others make and how to not make them myself. The site has changed since I began lurking; it seems as if there was some sort of pre- to postlapsarian event. I've noticed an attitude of discontent and have also noticed that some of the team members of the site have eroded their own legitimate authority. I'm not bound to this site in any way, so I don't have vested interest one way or other. When the members with which I most agree seem to have "troubles" with the site and its functions, I become wary. I have seen the four horsemen of the fora apocalypse before, and they were as magnificent as one might expect. Once, I was also part of a site which claimed to be a haven for the professionals of an industry, and I witnessed the professionals become discontent with the, shall I say, change in philosophy of the incoming members. Soon, many of the best members were not banned, but simply permanently deleted with no reasons given. New "features" were added to the site to make those more rebellious members regret being so.

I suppose that is neither here nor there. This site is not at that level, but some courses in interpersonal and group dynamics would not be amiss, especially for some of the leadership. I personally think sites work better when bans are not so "mysterious" and otherwise inspissated; that's just my personal feeling and has nothing to reinforce it. I also believe that the whole "community council/whateverelseissupposedtomakeitbetter" is somewhat silly and not much of replacement for fair and accurate leadership.

The changes happening are really unfortunate, and I can't say where they'll go. My main use for this site is as a source of attitude correction and enhancement. Unlike some, I am not much concerned in the social/networking part of the site, so my views may not be the norm. I haven't been making many posts lately (or ever, for that matter), and hopefully my lack of interest won't grow in the future.

A good new year to everyone.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Did he? Pretty sure he was back after only a day or two and not a couple weeks which was the "rule" at the time. My bad if that's not the case.

I wasn't banned over prime directive A. I was banned over comments regarding a now changed avatar.

Status
Not open for further replies.