O2 sat monitor?

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Last edited by a moderator:

VentMedic

Forum Chief

Why?

emergency use

Does your employer not have one for you to use?

Are you going to have it regularly calibrated if you choose to treat by it or document by it?

Are you not able to tell if a patient needs O2 by circumstances, signs and symptoms? Can you not recognize respiratory distress? And, what are you going to do about it if you do not have O2 available? Focus on a number and forget the rest of the assessment or make that number the determining factor to call 911?

As both a Paramedic and a Respiratory Therapist, I do not own one of these for personal use nor do I carry a portable O2 tank in my car.

OP
OP
DV_EMT

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
well... i was meerly wondering what everyone though.

getting input for equipment is great for me. that way i know where to invest my money

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Does someone in your home require supplemental oxygen or have a medical condition requiring consistent oximetry? What did their doctor say?

OP
OP
DV_EMT

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
doc said that it probably wouldnt be a bad idea. but then again, they always want you to spend more cash on things.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Under what circumstances did the doc say it would be a good idea? Is it your treating physician or a doc friend?

Honestly, the only people I know who own they're own pulse ox units are pilots who routinely push the limits of how high they can fly in an unpressurized plane without deficits, and, for some reason, make altitude decisions based on the number they see.

trevor1189

Forum Captain
You know I was at EMS expo and they had a bunch of little finger pulsox devices laying on the tables for demo. They are kinda cool, but there really isn't a need to own one personally, unless you are O2 dependent or care for someone who is.

However I bet you with the number of them on the table and the amount of people there someone probably grabbed a "sample" :p lol

Edit: After looking at that one and the price, I could see it being nice for getting a quick pulse on yourself or a patient. Especially considering I hate wearing watches.

OP
OP
DV_EMT

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
no, not a friend doc. it was her pirmary physician's liasion... its wierd how they have those at the hospital. he said that though it may not be used as frequently as it should, itd be helpful to have on hand. kinda like a thermomenter, or like those wrist bp monitors.

though, now that i think about it, it'd probably be good for me considering i'm getting over pneumonia. even though i have no SOB currently, it'd kinda be nice to see my blood's oxygenation, just to make sure.

but still... up in the air. just getting everyones opinion :D

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I have not met any living human who is not O2 dependant.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
...it'd kinda be nice to see my blood's oxygenation, just to make sure.
Is that really what SpO2 is a measurement of?

To repeat a party line that gets said a lot on these threads: If you need it for work... your work should provide it.

Pulse Oximitry is a nice tool to have... but if the patient looks hypoxic - they should get O2... even if their sat is good.

RMSP05

Forum Probie
Pulse Oximitry is a nice tool to have... but if the patient looks hypoxic - they should get O2... even if their sat is good.

Exackly, treat the patiend, don't treat the numbers. The device can be thrown off with things like person that is cold, or with carbon monoxide poisining.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
We don't even tell our home care respiratory patients to get a pulse oximeter. We want them to focus on how they feel. If they delay calling their physician when they feel bad because of a number, the pulse ox may actually have harmed them. Different medical conditions don't always affect SpO2 until as a late sign. Sometimes, too late.

OP
OP
DV_EMT

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Exackly, treat the patiend, don't treat the numbers. The device can be thrown off with things like person that is cold, or with carbon monoxide poisining.

Right, i discussed that with a few members last night on the chat. I mean, i guess it'd be nice to have (as an ammenity) but truly evaluating a pt is based not just upon the numbers but also the general impression.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
if you really want one and you can afford it, get it. But its overkill. You should not bring it on an ambulance unless its done in accordance with local protocol.

trevor1189

Forum Captain

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief

I find this line is becoming overused to the point of losing its original meaning. There are many times where imaging technology, telemetry, and other monitoring type devices and labwork are used as the basis of diagnosis and treatment.

Perhaps it is time to re-phrase this as "Remember the basics". Cyanosis with an oximetry reading of 99%, what are you going to do?

Sasha

Forum Chief
Perhaps it is time to re-phrase this as "Remember the basics". Cyanosis with an oximetry reading of 99%, what are you going to do?

Deny oxygen duh 'cause they're obviously faking it, I mean their pulse ox is 99! :rolleyes:

That was sarcasm, by the way.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I would tell them to gtfo my rig and to drive to the er.

firecoins

IFT Puppet