NYC FDNY EMT Hirings.

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
The pay for Medics in the Northeast (at least NY and NJ) for medics is pretty good.
I was making 22+ as a new medic with almost unlimited OT in Jersey plus differentials, and I make 25+/hr as a per diem.

redbull

Forum Lieutenant
I think that the CEMS' main number is still 516-719-5050. Call there and they'll point you in the right direction. If you have educational aspirations, they'll work with you on building your schedule around school. You too can work 46 Eddie and maybe one day 46 Young if you get your medic cert!

Also, when I left the health system in 2007, Manhasset was hiring EMT's as ER techs, for around 22/hr. You could apply for the ER tech position and the EMT position at the same time, and see what comes back first. If you get the tech spot, you'll see plenty of CEMS employees. Talk with them and see if NYC 911/IFT EMS would interest you.

Thanks 46Young. I did my ridealong with 46 Frank a few weeks ago. Not much going on, but I heard the night crew had some good stuff.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Thanks 46Young. I did my ridealong with 46 Frank a few weeks ago. Not much going on, but I heard the night crew had some good stuff.

Did you get hired by the CEMS, are you doing a ride along for EMT school, or for some other reason? If you bump into 46 Young, Dennis V and Jim B know me, along with quite a few others. Four of us left for the Fairfax County FD in VA over the past few years.

redbull

Forum Lieutenant
Did you get hired by the CEMS, are you doing a ride along for EMT school, or for some other reason? If you bump into 46 Young, Dennis V and Jim B know me, along with quite a few others. Four of us left for the Fairfax County FD in VA over the past few years.

No, I'm doing it for North Shore's EMT accelerated program which ends in 2.5 weeks.

bitman

Forum Ride Along
Has anyone heard anything or gotten anything on the mail, i brought my application to the "application intake session" back in May, we were told to expect a call by July. This is for a tentative January 2011 academy start. Anyone here waiting too for that group?? Thanks.

redbull

Forum Lieutenant
Has anyone heard anything or gotten anything on the mail, i brought my application to the "application intake session" back in May, we were told to expect a call by July. This is for a tentative January 2011 academy start. Anyone here waiting too for that group?? Thanks.

no idea. did u have to fill out the civil service stuff for it? i missed the date as i was certified in august...here's hoping i can get into that too.

jbell1115

Forum Ride Along
Still waiting

I also went to the same "application intake session" in May. I still havent heard anything yet about the physical agility test

FDNYRescueMedic

Forum Probie
Be patient brothers, they just graduated two large Top classes. I'm sure you'll be at Ft. Totten doing a mile run in the cold sooner than you think.

FDNYRescueMedic

Forum Probie
Back in the early 90's it took them about one year to call me. Back then we belonged to Health and Hospitals. I go back to work on Monday, I'll call some instructors I know and see when the next TOP class go's in.

ethomas4

Forum Crew Member
EMT jobs in NYC other than with the FD???

Hi all, Hope I am not repeating questions....

I want to move to NYC, but I do not want to be a fire fighter, I just want to work as an EMT and then become a paramedic. Is that possible? What are the options in NYC for EMTs? I have all my EMT certs from CA, would I have to change them to NY state certifications?

Thank you

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard

I want to move to NYC, but I do not want to be a fire fighter, I just want to work as an EMT and then become a paramedic. Is that possible? What are the options in NYC for EMTs? I have all my EMT certs from CA, would I have to change them to NY state certifications?

Thank you

http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/html/community/employment_index.shtml

As you can see, even though FDNY EMS is part of FDNY, they're seperate job descriptions. There's no crossover. The closest thing to that is the FF's that have medic cards will pull per diem shifts at the local hospitals that are 911 providers. FDNYRescueMedic could tell you more. There's absolutely no chance of being mandated to cross train as a FF at some point in the future. The unions will put the kibbosh on that. What I can tell you is that the NatReg is useless for reciprocity in NY. If I want to get my state card back, I'd have to do a challenge refresher. I don't know the rules for basics.

firecoins

IFT Puppet

Thank you

If you do FDNY EMS, you will not be doing FDNY firefighting. And vice versa.

ethomas4

Forum Crew Member
THank you all, where I live it is if you want to be a medic you have to be an FF and vice versa, I guess that is why I have the false notion that it is like that everywhere.

thanks for the replies, wish me luck..any other advice for moving to NY and being a medic is greatly appreciated. I guess I will just keep going to classes and working until I make the move

pikapp730

Forum Probie
so, how long do i expect a call from them to take the physical agility test? i put my name on the list over a month ago.

FDNYRescueMedic

Forum Probie
I was at the academy on Tuesday of this week for training. Right now there is a Top class that just started. I asked some of the instructors and they have no clue as to when the next class is after this one. It might take six months or so to be called. If I hear anything else I'll post it on here.