NREMT vs State Emt

Sizz

Forum Lieutenant
Hey all

How many of you keep up your NREMT vs dropping to state minimum for continuing education hours? Is there more benefits to staying NREMT vs State unless you plan on moving?

Also I'm curious as to the benefits of the NAEMT's I'm interested becoming a member whats your thoughts?

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I keep mine for international jobs and moving around.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Keep up my NREMT. It's easy to do.

mare_liberum

Forum Probie
What are some of the differences between the state exam and the NREMT (I'm in Florida)? I've been told that it's just that the NREMT has a practical exam; is this the only major difference?

trevor1189

Forum Captain
What are some of the differences between the state exam and the NREMT (I'm in Florida)? I've been told that it's just that the NREMT has a practical exam; is this the only major difference?

State and national registry have a practical exam. At least here in PA they do.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
The practical exam for maintaining your NREMT is a state-by-state issue. Some require it, some don't. NREMT defers to the state.

reaper

Working Bum

Well, In FL your EMT-B exam will be the NREMT. Your Practical will be done at your school. To maintain it, you need to keep up your CEU hours. The same as you will for the state.

Now, if you move to Paramedic in FL, then you will have a state exam. FL does not use NREMT at the Paramedic level. There is no state practical for Paramedic. You will have to obtain your NREMT-P on your own. Some schools may test you out for it.

If you plan on ever moving out of FL, then I would acquire and maintain NREMT at the basic or Paramedic level. Most states require it and it will keep you out of the hassle later on.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
NJ no longer requires the NREMT at the Basic level, though it does use it for the Paramedic exam. Up until a few years ago, the NREMT was the EMT-B test as well, but when the NREMT moved to computer-based testing, NJ went back to its own state exam.

I have enough credits already to keep my NREMT cert through at least 2014, so I'm going to renew when it comes up in two years (I got a few extra months with the way they set renewal dates).

wolfwyndd

Forum Captain
I USED to keep up my NREMT for reciprocity to other states just in case I move (it really wasn't too challenging). However, anymore it seems like MOST states will accept another state's licensure with minimal effort of learning the new state's rules / regulations / protocols. My NREMT expires at the end of this month and I'm gonna let it.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
The other thing that I will say, with regards to NJ and NR, is this...

NJ requires Core + 24 electives every 3 years. Effective with renewals after January 1, 2011, it will be the same number of CEUs in 5 years.

NREMT, as we all know, is core + 48 electives in 2 years.

If you choose to maintain your NREMT, you must complete twice as many (soon to be four or six times as many) CEUs. Which is a good thing in my opinion, but not in the opinion of those who want to keep their certs with minimal effort.