NREMT CBT, A joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
J

jlsparky7

Forum Crew Member
Negative ghostrider, a sound and thorough assessment is what you build your treatment off of.

You have received a lot of great advice, take a moment to internalize it. Based on your postings here, one can see sound reasoning why you were unsuccessful in passing the NR exam.

3 things that will help you through any patient encounter (and protocol isn't one of them)

1.Sound assessment.
2.Utilization of a complete and thorough critical thought process.
3.Don't overcomplicate the situation.

Unfortunately as a new medic graduate, you only the capability of providing one of the three. The other two come with experience. Why not take this thread as an experience and learn instead of argue. You can disagree until the cows come home, but it won't change your situation. It is what it is, you are going to have to retake the test and pass to move on. Whether you do or don't is your choice.................................

They dont give sounds in 90% of the test questions

They dont give you enough info to even begin the thought process. Let alone citical thought process.

The situation.... Heres another example of a question similar to what was on registry (not exactly).

Called to the scene of a 42yo male involved in an MVA. Pt was driving the vehicle and was hit on the drivers side. What are the possible internal injuries?
A. Kidney
B. Spleen
c. Stomach
d. Liver

No way of telling... I know the kidney and liver are considered solid organs and are more prone to blunt force injury. I know the spleen can easily be lacerated, and I know the stomach would be close to the impact as well.

Now with Vitals, a trauma assessment, chief complaint (assumming pt is alert), wether or not the Pt was restrained, type of vehicle, and other readily available information that is automatic upon arrival to a scene would effect my answer.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
That "stupid test" is the closest thing to national continuity and minimum competency assurance we have. It is flawed in ONE way. The flaw is that it should be more difficult.

If you think the NREMT is difficult or stupid, the NCLEX (RN board exam), the USMLE (MD board exam), and other professional medical exams would cause you to faint and seize. These are the way medical professional board exams work. If you do not want to be a medical professional, than do not attempt these exams, and yes, that includes the NREMT.

Paramedicine is not about protocols. You bring down the entire profession by thinking and acting that way. That is why the more educated members of the board are not entertaining your consistent roasting of a test and and an organization that works to improve us all.

OP
OP
J

jlsparky7

Forum Crew Member
I've been in this field for almost 10 years, and the ONLY information I've always had available on EVERY patient is their gender and approximate age. I'm sure others around here will support this.

Like LP said, you've been given good advice here. What you do with it is up to you.

Do you mind if I ask what you've done up to this point to pass the test next time, besides this thread?

Aside from real world experience in the field. I have my 6 Text books from my class.
ECG interpritation book
ACLS intervention book
Bradys NREMTP review book
2 other NREMTP practice test books
Each of my txt books have a CD that I went through with scenerios and tests at the end
www.skillstat.com cardiac tests and ECG test (dynamic and static)
I made flashcards for the ACLS meds too

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief

They dont give you enough info to even begin the thought process. Let alone citical thought process.

The situation.... Heres another example of a question similar to what was on registry (not exactly).

Called to the scene of a 42yo male involved in an MVA. Pt was driving the vehicle and was hit on the drivers side. What are the possible internal injuries?
A. Kidney
B. Spleen
c. Stomach
d. Liver

No way of telling... I know the kidney and liver are considered solid organs and are more prone to blunt force injury. I know the spleen can easily be lacerated, and I know the stomach would be close to the impact as well.

Now with Vitals, a trauma assessment, chief complaint (assumming pt is alert), wether or not the Pt was restrained, type of vehicle, and other readily available information that is automatic upon arrival to a scene would effect my answer.

Your over complicating things. And you should try and re think your idea of critical thinking. Re read Flight's post and mine about the inductive reasoning behind the answer.

Last edited by a moderator:

reaper

Working Bum

A. Kidney
B. Spleen
c. Stomach
d. Liver

"Sound assessment" means doing a good assessment! Proper English?

Again that question is very simple if you quit over thinking everything. Think about the anatomy of the abdomen?????

OP
OP
J

jlsparky7

Forum Crew Member
That "stupid test" is the closest thing to national continuity and minimum competency assurance we have. It is flawed in ONE way. The flaw is that it should be more difficult.

If you think the NREMT is difficult or stupid, the NCLEX (RN board exam), the USMLE (MD board exam), and other professional medical exams would cause you to faint and seize. These are the way medical professional board exams work. If you do not want to be a medical professional, than do not attempt these exams, and yes, that includes the NREMT.

Paramedicine is not about protocols. You bring down the entire profession by thinking and acting that way. That is why the more educated members of the board are not entertaining your consistent roasting of a test and and an organization that works to improve us all.

It is inaccurate and does not sufficiently display the ability of a person to be a paramedic. The reason you think it needs to be harder is because there are bad paramedics. That is because it is inaccurate is displaying the persons abilities, not that it is too easy. This is the only format that I can recall has ever been used. Written/Computerized testing.

I would like to get an idea of how the military is tested in BLS/ACLS I bet it doesnt rely on a written test and I bet they are more successful with real life scenarios.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
It is inaccurate and does not sufficiently display the ability of a person to be a paramedic. The reason you think it needs to be harder is because there are bad paramedics. That is because it is inaccurate is displaying the persons abilities, not that it is too easy. This is the only format that I can recall has ever been used. Written/Computerized testing.

I would like to get an idea of how the military is tested in BLS/ACLS I bet it doesnt rely on a written test and I bet they are more successful with real life scenarios.

I thought they were using the NREMT testing also. BLS/ACLS testing is done by an agency like the AHA or ARC, not the NREMT. One tests CPR, the other tests EMT. And the AHA does have a written test for BLS for HCP's...I don't teach ACLS, so I can't speak to that aspect.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly

I bet their patient population is vastly different than the one civilian EMS treats.

OP
OP
J

jlsparky7

Forum Crew Member
I've been in this field for almost 10 years, and the ONLY information I've always had available on EVERY patient is their gender and approximate age. I'm sure others around here will support this.

Like LP said, you've been given good advice here. What you do with it is up to you.

Do you mind if I ask what you've done up to this point to pass the test next time, besides this thread?

You cant look at a PT and tell if there breathing? How often there breathing? If it is suffiecent? What about LOC? Vitals?

I find it hard to believe you walk on scene sometimes and those are the only 2 peices of information that you can possibly come up with.

OP
OP
J

jlsparky7

Forum Crew Member
I thought they were using the NREMT testing also. BLS/ACLS testing is done by an agency like the AHA or ARC, not the NREMT. One tests CPR, the other tests EMT. And the AHA does have a written test for BLS for HCP's...I don't teach ACLS, so I can't speak to that aspect.

I dont know either but I would like to find out.

JPINFV

Gadfly
It matters on what they're testing on and to the degree that they have to train their differing levels of medical responders.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief

Since you asked, the military medic's are also tested by National Registry. The AHA courses are used for BLS and ACLS.

You have managed to identify one correct aspect. The NR does not display a persons ability to do anything other than retain knowledge for a practical and written exam. This is the sole purpose of a mentoring or field training program. That is when you "show 'em what you got", or don't have. But you have to pass the test first to get there...................... :p

OP
OP
J

jlsparky7

Forum Crew Member
Since you asked, the military medic's are also tested by National Registry. The AHA courses are used for BLS and ACLS.

You have managed to identify one correct aspect. The NR does not display a persons ability to do anything other than retain knowledge for a practical and written exam. This is the sole purpose of a mentoring or field training program. That is when you "show 'em what you got", or don't have. But you have to pass the test first to get there...................... :p

Then why cant military medics come back and be civilian medics? they have to retake the class. That doesnt make much sense to me.

The NR sure DOES NOT display someones ability to retain knowledge. 3 paramedics at the company I work for all recently passed NR and CLEARLY do not have the compitence to be BASIC emts let alone medics.

I will take this test until I pass so that is irrelevent. What matters is being able to pass it sooner than later.

JPINFV

Gadfly
The NR sure DOES NOT display someones ability to retain knowledge. 3 paramedics at the company I work for all recently passed NR and CLEARLY do not have the compitence to be BASIC emts let alone medics.

I'm curious. What level of education and experience do you have that allows you to judge the ability of a new paramedic?

reaper

Working Bum
I give up! There is more excuses and arguing, then wanting to learn anything!!

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
You cant look at a PT and tell if there breathing? How often there breathing? If it is suffiecent? What about LOC? Vitals?

I find it hard to believe you walk on scene sometimes and those are the only 2 peices of information that you can possibly come up with.

There's a difference...earlier in the thread, you were talking about information that you felt was necessary to complete your assessment (such as medication, food, alcohol and other types related to patient history). The information you described in this post is information I get from my assessment of the patient.

You're right, assessment information is always available if you do a proper assessment. History information is not always available. And you may not always get the scene information as a medic...especially if you do ALS intercepts with a BLS agency.

It comes down to critical thinking. Once you receive the dispatch information, you should already be thinking about what could be wrong with the patient based upon the information you received. As you get more information, you constantly revise your assessment of what may be wrong. But based upon your knowledge of A&P, you should always have a general idea of what could be wrong with your patient.

OP
OP
J

jlsparky7

Forum Crew Member
I'm curious. What level of education and experience do you have that allows you to judge the ability of a new paramedic?

All 3 of the paramedics i mentioned earlier were basics that I worked with on a regular basis as basics until they became paramedics. Do you want me to give examples of how dumb they are?

Status
Not open for further replies.