no time for standard school?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Ill be real curious how the NREMT exam goes after a 3 week class.

Probably just fine considering that the OP finished with a 94 average and took the test immediately afterwards.

Goose3201

Forum Ride Along
Woot!

Hey, just wanted to pass on a huge congratulations! I also wanted to tell you how much I've appreciated you sharing your experience with us.

I've been watching this thread as I'm researching a couple different mid-life career paths...really do appreciate you sharing the info.

Todd

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
yes Congrats and thanks for sharing the whole experience. Stay safe out there

Unaguave

Forum Ride Along
Another example of why it seems ridiculous to have a 2 week EMT course.

Some community colleges are now breaking EMT up into 2 semesters. Thats an 8 MONTH EMT class. The local community college around me does it that way. They also require 2 semester A&P, Intermediate Algebra, English comp, and a minimum score on the science portion of the ACT before you can be accepted into their Paramedic program.

So something is wrong when you have community colleges with respected, accredited EMS programs saying it takes 8 plus months to produce a competent EMT, and some school that says they can do it in 2 to 3 weeks.

Money, that's why it takes that long. Why would anyone want to go into $10,000 worth of debt in student loans for a job that pays $10 - $12 an hour? Because if someone went that far for that job only to realize they're glorified bus drivers then they'll realize they might as well go "all the way" and continue their education at the same institution, and what do you know all the credits they needed for that course carry on to a higher degree.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
got my nremt card today. taking my application to the state office tomorrow for my state license.
It was interesting to watch this process and exciting to know it works.

Another example of why it seems ridiculous to have a 2 week EMT course.

Some community colleges are now breaking EMT up into 2 semesters. Thats an 8 MONTH EMT class. The local community college around me does it that way. They also require 2 semester A&P, Intermediate Algebra, English comp, and a minimum score on the science portion of the ACT before you can be accepted into their Paramedic program.

So something is wrong when you have community colleges with respected, accredited EMS programs saying it takes 8 plus months to produce a competent EMT, and some school that says they can do it in 2 to 3 weeks.
As long as the national standard for EMT is 150 clock hours, I see no reason to drag that time out 2 semesters. The solution is not dragging out a 150 hour EMT program 8-12 months long, its changing the national standards.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
T

troymclure

Forum Lieutenant
of the 7 that graduated 5 have taken and passed the nremt.

one guy(the gi) said he may not take it, and nobody has heard from the other guy.

OP
OP
T

troymclure

Forum Lieutenant
just got my state license. Louisiana took 3 days to process my application and reciprocity paperwork.

OP
OP
T

troymclure

Forum Lieutenant
nope, the clinicals were arranged thru the school, the instructor even arranged for one guy to work with the fd for 3 24hr shifts AFTER school was over.

OP
OP
T

troymclure

Forum Lieutenant
from 4-4(found the school), 4-14(start school) to 5-29(got my first interview) 55(45 since the first day of class) days, and a total of $3219.70 including gas, food, lodging, tuition, eating out, etc...

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
T

troymclure

Forum Lieutenant
last update on this thread.

7 of 7 graduates in my class have passed the nremt. 2 are continuing to a fire academy, 2 are using it in their current medical jobs, the gi is using his to re-class to medic, one guy just got hired on with a small private ambulance co, and i have my final interview this week with a private ambulance co.