no time for standard school?

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
250 hours is 250 hours. what improvement on training would having 1 class a week be over 1 class a day?

ucla centers for prehospital care offers a 3 week course, 7 hours a day. are you saying that your community colleges are better because they make you pay thru 2 semesters?

Great point.

MackTheKnife

Exactly!

I had looked at taking my EMT-B in a faster format, also because of work constraints. I am a firearms instructor, and the company I worked for wanted me to get my EMT-B at the time, in case of emergency. As I didn't plan on working in EMS, I looked into the shorter schools. What I can say, quite honestly, it that the 3-4 month long class that's only a few nights a week, really includes an additional 4-6 hours of study every day and 12-24 hours of study every weekend. I don't know how you would study during a 3 week class. Even if you physically went to class and studied all night and didn't sleep for 3 weeks, there really still wouldn't be enough time to study.

If you were a medic 10 years ago and you're returning, or you are a current RN, or you have worked as a first responder for 2-3 years and "seen everything", then, obviously, you wouldn't have to study the same, because you would know a lot of stuff the rest of us didn't know going through the first time.

The Navy teaches EMT in three weeks. Classroom, practicals, tests. Not everyone passes but most do. There is plenty of time to study and the amount of time needed varies from student to student. Don't sell the short courses short!

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
It really depends on the person which program is best. As long as you have a basic understanding of A&P or have a few college classes under your belt, I can see them getting through the short program rather easily. Time management would also be key.
My basic was over a college semester and it was way too slow for my liking. I wish I could have done the 3-4 week "crash" course. Others in my class that had a degree or university experience felt the same way.

Last edited by a moderator:

MackTheKnife

It really depends on the person which program is best. As long as you have a basic understanding of A&P or have a few college classes under your belt, I can see them getting through the short program rather easily. Time management would also be key.
My basic was over a college semester and it was way too slow for my liking. I wish I could have done the 3-4 week "crash" course. Others in my class that had a degree or university experience felt the same way.

Agree with you. It depends on the person. I have always liked the fast courses (I actually enjoyed self-paced algebra!) and I don't need to study much.

OP
OP
T

troymclure

Forum Lieutenant
like said above, you have to want to pass the course, if you go drink or "hang out" every night, you prolly wont do it.

i study/homework 2-4 hours a night.

with just 3 class days(and 2 exams +final)left im at a 92%.

if you go in to this type of class with a "community college attitude", you will fail.

OP
OP
T

troymclure

Forum Lieutenant
lost a guy today. he failed 2 exams.

he rarely paid attention in class, and was one of those guys that was a distraction.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
If you already have a job to pay the bills why don't you join a volunteer FD and get your feet wet and some real time experience.

From there jump into a 6 week EMT summer program if your comfortable enough. While you did the CLS in the Military little of it transitions into civilian EMS at the basic level.

OP
OP
T

troymclure

Forum Lieutenant
If you already have a job to pay the bills why don't you join a volunteer FD and get your feet wet and some real time experience.

From there jump into a 6 week EMT summer program if your comfortable enough. While you did the CLS in the Military little of it transitions into civilian EMS at the basic level.

because my job would not allow me to do so.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
goodluck

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
trauma is trauma. opa is inserted the same, etc... lots of the same stuff.

And trauma is the minority of what we deal with in EMS.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
OP
OP
T

troymclure

Forum Lieutenant
Passed. Got the highest in my class by 1/2 % LOL. Averaged with a 94% I think.

Now to wait till Monday to schedule my nremt written exam.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Best of luck! Thanks for keeping us updated with your school process. Sounded like an interesting experience.