no time for standard school?

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
I would steer clear of any EMT mill that claims they can spit out a competent EMT in a few short weeks.

If you just want to take an EMT class for personal enrichment, fine. But if you plan on actually becoming licensed and working in the field, I would look at a normal 4 or 5 month EMT course that gives you time to study and absorb everything, become proficient at skills like vital signs and patient assessment, and gives you some clinical experience.

This is assuming you arent already some other medical professional like a licensed RN, and that you are starting from scratch with no medical education or experience.

Exactly!

I had looked at taking my EMT-B in a faster format, also because of work constraints. I am a firearms instructor, and the company I worked for wanted me to get my EMT-B at the time, in case of emergency. As I didn't plan on working in EMS, I looked into the shorter schools. What I can say, quite honestly, it that the 3-4 month long class that's only a few nights a week, really includes an additional 4-6 hours of study every day and 12-24 hours of study every weekend. I don't know how you would study during a 3 week class. Even if you physically went to class and studied all night and didn't sleep for 3 weeks, there really still wouldn't be enough time to study.

If you were a medic 10 years ago and you're returning, or you are a current RN, or you have worked as a first responder for 2-3 years and "seen everything", then, obviously, you wouldn't have to study the same, because you would know a lot of stuff the rest of us didn't know going through the first time.

Engineered

Forum Probie
I did the NOLS WMI course, and while it was challenging in both living conditions and the course material to get done in 3 weeks (standard EMT and Wilderness EMT) myself and about 90% of the class were able to pass the NREMT. However, it was 3500 bucks, and did take me driving from Colorado to California, and back, and just for need of a respite, spending the weekends in a hotel in Fresno for my sanity, but if thats what your looking for, I would totally suggest it.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
tumblr_md7ip9vx3Z1rfy2fao1_500-1_zps14ea8bc8.jpg

hahaha this meme's really been making the rounds lately. :rofl:

Obstructions

Forum Crew Member
You could look into PERCOM. They offer a program that is almost exclusively online, and it relatively cheap. Education is excellent, and very progressive- all the teachers are amazing as well. So you could work on it at home and while on the rig.

PM me for more details. I'm currently finishing up my paramedic through them.

OP
OP
T

troymclure

Forum Lieutenant
well had our 0 day today, initial briefing and cpr course.

the instructor told us "you will have no outside life during this course" and we would have 2-4 hours of homework(graded) every night.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
interesting, keep us up to date. I have never seen a program this fast paced before.

OP
OP
T

troymclure

Forum Lieutenant
first day was good, very thorough and in-depth discussions of the material. about 2 hours of home work tonite.
there is a quiz or exam every day(except nremt prep, and nrempt practicals), and labs every other day.

its a bit tough for me as i havent sat in a classroom all day in 8 years(since dive school). i cant wait for the labs and ride-along's/clinical's.

OP
OP
T

troymclure

Forum Lieutenant
there are 8 people in my class.

5 have at least 1 degree(3 have multiple).

2 have already taken other medical classes/courses and are planning on becoming pa/md.

2 are taking it for ff program.

1 for park ranger program.

1 is a gi, taking it for professional development promotion points.

1 is a college drop out.

the gi and i are the only ones that havent spent the last few years in a classroom environment.

its tough, its been 8 years for me. and the dive school classroom stuff was pretty easy.

OP
OP
T

troymclure

Forum Lieutenant
done with the first week. the first 3 days were tough. its a heavy workload and took a bit to get in rhythm.

the course is well done. i am getting about a 92% average on the quizzes and exams. and better i seem to be retaining the info past the quiz/exam. lol

OP
OP
T

troymclure

Forum Lieutenant
been busy. lol

the course is still pretty tough, but not as all-encompassing as the first week and half.

i have my first ride-along tomorrow with a local fire department.

nervous but looking forward to it.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Ya you must be getting close to completing everything by now?

OP
OP
T

troymclure

Forum Lieutenant
1 week left.

i have my clinical in the er sunday, then 3 days of classes and 2 exams. then its nremt prep/then practical/and class finals.