New Student

mcvey7218

Forum Crew Member
Hi everyone! My name is Tracie and I live in a rural town in South Central Georgia. I am beginning EMT-B classes on April 3, and was wondering if anyone could offer me any practical advice? Thanks!

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Welcome Tracy,

Don't expect a lot from Basic EMT, if you study and read the chapters you will not have any problem. Practice as much as possible and read ahead and prepare an outline of the next chapter, it will be easier for you.

Good luck!

R/r 911

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Welcome to the forum.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
First... welcome to the forum. Feel free to ask us any questions you may have... we are a wealth of information (However, like Wikipedia, we can't always cite our references ;)).

Welcome Tracy,

Don't expect a lot from Basic EMT, if you study and read the chapters you will not have any problem. Practice as much as possible and read ahead and prepare an outline of the next chapter, it will be easier for you.

Good luck!

R/r 911

Rid hit the nail on the head. I took EMT-B at 16, and didn't have to do much studing to keep up. The class is easy. You learn the hard stuff over months and years after you start working on the street.

Recycled Words

Forum Crew Member
That about covers it. I learned next to nothing from the textbook and lectures. Most of what I learned came from actually riding

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
Welcome to the group, and congratulations on your choice. As far as class goes, dig in and study, then practice, practice, practice. Also have a look through some of the older subjects here in the forums. We can be a cantankerous bunch from time to time, but there's gold in them thar posts that you won't find in a textbook (just don't use it for tests...:p ). Keep us posted on how you're doing and feel free to ask if you have a problem; there are no such things as dumb questions. Best of luck...

Alexakat

Forum Lieutenant
That about covers it. I learned next to nothing from the textbook and lectures. Most of what I learned came from actually riding

Ditto for me. You will learn the most when you are out "on the streets". Start riding as soon as possible as a trainee or "3rd" as we call them...

It's fun...you will LOVE it!

OP
OP
mcvey7218

mcvey7218

Forum Crew Member
Thank you all very much. I am 35 years old and looking to make a MAJOR career change. I have been an accountant for 14 years, but my heart was always on medical. I have wanted to be an EMT since I was a child, but was never able to devote the time to the profession since I had two children. But now, my kids are teens, so here is my chance....

OP
OP
mcvey7218

mcvey7218

Forum Crew Member
Ditto for me. You will learn the most when you are out "on the streets". Start riding as soon as possible as a trainee or "3rd" as we call them...

It's fun...you will LOVE it!

I know from talking to my instructor that clinicals will be a big part of the training. Will EMS allow me to ride outside of class if I am enrolled as an EMT student?

Epi-do

I see dead people
Will EMS allow me to ride outside of class if I am enrolled as an EMT student?

I know that when I wenwt through my class several years ago, we were expected to put in a minimum number of hours doing ride-alongs on the ambulance. It wasn't really all that much - 24 hours, I believe. We also had a required number of runs we had to assist on, so if you didn't get your runs in the 24 hours, you had to put in more ride time. It was also encouraged that you put in as many extra hours as you wanted to do/were able to do. Just talk to your instructor about it once you reach that point in your class. There will be a particular service that the class has an agreement with for ride-alongs, and it is very possible they will allow extra time. If they don't, call around to other services in the area and find out which ones do ride-alongs. Some will, some won't, but those that do will be more than happy to have you along.

Also, after that long winded answer, welcome to our happy, although somewhat dysfunctional, family!

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Welcome to the tribe, remember no question is ever stupid!! :)

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
I know from talking to my instructor that clinicals will be a big part of the training. Will EMS allow me to ride outside of class if I am enrolled as an EMT student?

It depends on the blood sucking lawyers and what the company will allow. Around here, it's a pain in the neck to get ride along time on any ALS rig. Thank the insurance company droids and the bottom feeding lawyers (and HIPAA) for making everything more difficult.

All you can do is ask and see what they say. Your area might be different. :)

Glorified

Forum Lieutenant
EMT-B class ins't necessarily easy. Compared to medic school I guess it is very easy. But it is still quite a bit of information crammed into a short amount of time. It goes very fast and it is easy to fall behind, so make sure you review everything.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
You really do not like lawyers huh?
There is nothing wrong with lawyers.... it is the ones who's sole mission in life is making our lives miserable by mandating things like "Caution... Coffee is Hot"

emtwannabe

Forum Lieutenant
Are you doing the nine month program? If so, you will be bored to tears during first quarter. Second quarter, after the first round of dropouts/weedouts, it gets good. Third quarter, when you study for intermediate, it is mostly honing your skills for the National Registry.

Welcome to the wonderful world of EMS!!!!
Shoot me a line if you have questions.....By the way, I am taking my Intermediate starting 4-2 at Griffin Tech....

Jeff

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
#1: Don't let Ridryder911 get you depressed. He knows his stuff but MY GOD he's depressing sometimes! :p

#2: Read everything you can, and don't be afraid to ask questions... but use the search function first.

#3: Practice your basic skills on any human being that will let you. Get comfortable with the basics before getting too far ahead.

#4: relax!