New Student

OP
OP
mcvey7218

mcvey7218

Forum Crew Member
Are you doing the nine month program? If so, you will be bored to tears during first quarter. Second quarter, after the first round of dropouts/weedouts, it gets good. Third quarter, when you study for intermediate, it is mostly honing your skills for the National Registry.

Welcome to the wonderful world of EMS!!!!
Shoot me a line if you have questions.....By the way, I am taking my Intermediate starting 4-2 at Griffin Tech....

Jeff

Yes I am going through the nine month program. After Intermediate, I would like to go straight through to the Paramedic program. Thank you for the information. By the way, where is Griffin Tech? I am located in Swainsboro, which is a small town halfway between Macon and Savannah.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Welcome to the tribe, study hard and don't be afraid to ask questions about anything!:)

emtwannabe

Forum Lieutenant
If you know where Atlanta Motor Speedway is, then Griffin is 5 miles south of there, give or take. I actually live in Stockbridge, just south of Atlanta. I am familiar with Swainsboro, because my father uses Dublin VAMC as his primary doctors.

If you really want to succeed at this, while you are in school, find a group of people that share the same goals as you and form a study group. It really will benefit your studies.

Good luck to you!

Jeff

OP
OP
mcvey7218

mcvey7218

Forum Crew Member
If you know where Atlanta Motor Speedway is, then Griffin is 5 miles south of there, give or take. I actually live in Stockbridge, just south of Atlanta. I am familiar with Swainsboro, because my father uses Dublin VAMC as his primary doctors.

If you really want to succeed at this, while you are in school, find a group of people that share the same goals as you and form a study group. It really will benefit your studies.

Good luck to you!

Jeff

My instructor was telling me during my advisement that the EMT-I is going to a 4-quarter program later this year. He said that it was good that I was getting in now, because I will be able to finish up faster. Have you heard anything about this?

Tracie

emtwannabe

Forum Lieutenant
Tracie,

It is true that the EMS program will expand to 4 quarters. I don't believe the course content will change, but the instructors will be able to go into greater detail with what they are teaching.

Jeff

OP
OP
mcvey7218

mcvey7218

Forum Crew Member
Tracie,

It is true that the EMS program will expand to 4 quarters. I don't believe the course content will change, but the instructors will be able to go into greater detail with what they are teaching.

Jeff

Don't know if that is necessarily bad, though. In some of my college courses when I was majoring in Accounting, the content was taught so quickly that there was no way to grasp hold of the fundamentals that they were teaching. It was mind-boggling at times. I walked out of class frustrated many days. I can see where the profession will benefit by expanding the EMS program to 4 quarters....even then, from what I have been told, I will still learn the majority of the profession by actually riding along.

emtwannabe

Forum Lieutenant
That is what has been told to me also. We ran through Basic very fast. I imagine Intermediate will be just as quick. I am looking forward to this Wednesday and Friday when I finally get to do ride alongs!!

BTW,

If you have not started this yet, you will need to do your Hepatitis B vaccinations as soon as possible, as it takes 6 months for the whole series.

Jeff

OP
OP
mcvey7218

mcvey7218

Forum Crew Member
That is what has been told to me also. We ran through Basic very fast. I imagine Intermediate will be just as quick. I am looking forward to this Wednesday and Friday when I finally get to do ride alongs!!

BTW,

If you have not started this yet, you will need to do your Hepatitis B vaccinations as soon as possible, as it takes 6 months for the whole series.

Jeff

I start class next Tuesday. I have already gotten the Hapatitis B series and my PPD is also up to date. Do you know what the laws are in Georgia concerning Basics being employed by EMS? I was wondering if I would be able to work part time after Basic in order to supplement my income, or will I need to wait until I make it to Intermediate or Paramedic? Also, should I expect to be able to do ride alongs during Basic, and if so, will I be able to assist in any way?

OP
OP
mcvey7218

mcvey7218

Forum Crew Member

BTW,

Jeff

By the way... good luck on the ride alongs!

emtwannabe

Forum Lieutenant
Tracie,

When you complete your 2nd semester, you will be eligible to sit for the National Registry Basic exam. The only problem is.....in Georgia, they do not recognize the Basic certification. So you have to wait, unfortunately, until after you finish your Intermediate.

Georgia recognizes 3 levels of training..EMT, Cardiac Tech, and Paramedic. The state is phasing out the Cardiac Tech level. So that leaves EMT and Paramedic.

Jeff

OP
OP
mcvey7218

mcvey7218

Forum Crew Member
Tracie,

When you complete your 2nd semester, you will be eligible to sit for the National Registry Basic exam. The only problem is.....in Georgia, they do not recognize the Basic certification. So you have to wait, unfortunately, until after you finish your Intermediate.

Georgia recognizes 3 levels of training..EMT, Cardiac Tech, and Paramedic. The state is phasing out the Cardiac Tech level. So that leaves EMT and Paramedic.

Jeff

Thank you very much for the info!