New Job...

CodeSurfer

Forum Captain
If you dont count ride-a-longs and the like... my first day working as an EMT is getting closer. Any advice/tips/etc. that you would like to share would be appreciated. I am getting more anxious/nervous by the minute! :unsure:

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
The thing I hate the most about new hires is uncontained excitement level. Stay calm do your job and if you get to a point you are so excited you forget what to do, just say so. It happens to just about everyone. The only other tip I have for you is this, a hot return is just a sunday drive with lights and sirens. Don't throw your partner all over the back of the rig!! :angry: That tends to iritate folks rather significantly...

rescuemedic7306

Forum Crew Member
Keep your imagination under control!

My first call was to an motorcycle MVA, with leg injury - visions of limbs severed, blood spurting, screaming, etc. In fact, it was a low speed fall with a contusion and hematoma...patient walked to the rig...so much for my imagination!

vtemti

Forum Captain
You can keep the codes. I've worked too many.

Don't let the adrenaline take over, remember your training and if the patient vomits, roll them towards your partner.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by vtemti@Jun 7 2005, 09:08 AM

Don't let the adrenaline take over, remember your training and if the patient vomits, roll them towards your partner.
I prefer to roll them towards the bystanders that wouldn't back up when I told them to. :p

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by vtemti@Jun 7 2005, 11:08 AM

My instructor taught...

"When the patient vomits, turn them towards the paramedic."

I did this on my last ride along before graduation. 70 something year old man, chest pain....

after he was safely delivered to the ER, the medic says "what the hell was that!! You jumped back and turned his head my way!"

I just smiled and said, "Yep, thats what the instructor taught."

Funny, the instructor also works PT for that service, when we got back to the station, she put in a request to have him as her EMT next time they work the same day.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
keep your head screwed on. IT'S NOT YOUR EMERGENCY!!!!!

stop at all stop lights/signs. proceed through only after everyone in the area is aware of your presence(sp) and intentions. the last thing you need to do is get into a major accident because you blew a red light and hit the 90 y/o deaf lady who just saw the light turn green and hit the gas

keep your radio reports short, sweet and to the point. jot it down on a slip of paper before you call it in. prevents "uum's" and "ahhh'". makes you sound like you knwo what your doing

you win some, you lose some. when the former happens, pat yourself on the back and forget about it. when its the latter, just forget about it. the people in this biz that take every pt home with them are usually the burn outs. people die. occasionaly in your presence or in your care. if your religious, then you believe that everybody has their time and when it comes, doesnt matter how good the tech is, times up!

keep the amt of equip down. you dont need all that stuff. theres a thread going here somewhere about what people carry on duty. read through it.

the best advice i can give you is treat the patient, not the textbook. the book gives you the typical symptoms of a condition, not always all of the atypical symptoms. dont ignore what you find in a chart/exam because it doesnt fit with what you think you should see

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by KEVD18@Jun 7 2005, 07:06 PM
the best advice i can give you is treat the patient, not the textbook. the book gives you the typical symptoms of a condition, not always all of the atypical symptoms. dont ignore what you find in a chart/exam because it doesnt fit with what you think you should see
Or, like I was taught, treat your patient and not your equipment.

OP
OP
C

CodeSurfer

Forum Captain
Thank you all so much, this advice is great. I'll keep you posted when the big day finally comes. I've had a few unexpected delays (need a lift test etc.) I'm looking at another week of uncontrollable nerves. :rolleyes:

vtemti

Forum Captain
KEVD18 is right. "Treat your patient" Once the initial training is behind you, common sense should prevail.

You should do fine.

Good Luck

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
i've always felt somewhat obligated to accomodate those ems'ers that are up and comming, after all somebody put up with us when we started .....

~S~

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I'm still like the new guy, a year and a half later. I still get all giddy when I get in the station, at the slight chance one of our dialysis patients will do something besides lay on the cot.

Some advice I found most helpful:

- When in doubt ask the forum. They have all the answers, or make up damn good fake ones.
- Remember, EMS is amazing, but it's not everything. Work something is just work :)
- Treat all patients like they were your family
- For most people riding in the ambulance will be a first time experience, and their only experience. Make it as good as possible. This includes making a good first impression. Clean uniform and ambulance are critical!
- When coding, stop at all lights and check first
- Always wear clean socks and underwear - (From mom)

Enjoy it, and let us know how it goes!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by MMiz@Jun 9 2005, 04:47 AM
Some advice I found most helpful:

- When in doubt ask the forum. They have all the answers, or make up damn good fake ones.
I love it!!!!

OP
OP
C

CodeSurfer

Forum Captain
Originally posted by MMiz@Jun 9 2005, 03:47 AM
They'll start out clean... and if we stick to dialysis runs maybe they'll stay that way. :p

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by MMiz@Jun 9 2005, 03:47 AM

Enjoy it, and let us know how it goes!
I never understand why people say to wear clean underwear incase their in an accident.

We cut them off anyway.

:blink:

Margaritaville

Forum Lieutenant
Maybe because in case they don't mess themselves from the accident, we will be impressed by their drawers.

I never thought about it - probably a mom thing. I always tell my teenagers that too. Never knew why I said it, either.

Do have a funny one though. I had a preceptor explain to me one time that every good female provider should always make sure thier bra and underwear match. Saw him one night about 10 years ago after a call. He said well, Do you match? I replied sure buddy - "flesh colored, no bra or underwear". He never asked again. Wonder why? ;)

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Matching? I don't get it, I don't plan on running around the station in my underwear.

My grandma always told me to be sure I had clean underwear on in case I ever got in an accident, but it was because I might meet a cute doctor.

The best underwear advice I can give is...... G-strings!!!! No underwear lines in your pants/dress. :D

OP
OP
C

CodeSurfer

Forum Captain
Originally posted by Wingnut@Jun 10 2005, 04:45 PM
The best underwear advice I can give is...... G-strings!!!! No underwear lines in your pants/dress. :D
The last thing I want is some g-string up my crack while I'm trying to lift some 400lb patient. I'll stick to some cute cotton bikinis.