Need some things..

mysterl33

Forum Crew Member
Hey,

So I recently started my EMT-B classes and they gave us a list of few things us as a student should have and I was wondering if you could help me with them. I want to get something not too expensive but something not too crappy either (if you know what i mean)

here are the things I need:
  • Blood Pressure Cuff
  • Stethoscope
  • Pen Light

Also, they said I should get a watch with a second hand. What kind do you guys use?

Thanks for your help!^_^

Nycxice13

Forum Lieutenant
CHeck out galls.com, should be able to get all of that pretty cheap. The BP cuff and steth usually come as a combo.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
i like watches with a sweeping hand because it's easier to look at the watch and count i.e. 15sec-30sec. etc. Timex are pretty good, and a fair price. penlight and stethoscope with a B.P. cuff, Galls has a good selection with fair prices. You should also get yourself a pair of trauma shears, they come in almost every color, Galls also carries that too. Good luck in school!!:)

Epi-do

I see dead people
When I went through class, all of that was supplied for us. Like everyone else suggested, check out galls.com. The other thing you could do is check out some of the scrubs/nursing uniform stores in your local area. They typically carry that type of thing as well.

As for watches, I use a digital timex. It is all personal preference really. You do need a way to monitor seconds while assessing pulse/resp. rate, but if you go with a digital watch, or one with hands would really come down to which one you like the best.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
hate that! Poop poo heads!<_<

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
buy a cheap scope/cuff combo. you just started the course and, without the sugar coating, youy might not finish. therefore, it would be foolhardy to spend a lot fo dough on top of the line gear. wait till your grad for the littmann

you really want reccomendations on a watch? alright. well i second the breitling. i personally like the breitling emergency mission. second would be a rolex daytona.

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
WHoa.......

Good prices at Galls? Galls is the "Bible" for whackers. I love Galls, but not the first place to shop for sure. :)

Check a local uniform shop first. Look in your phone book for a uniform store. If you have a hospital close, there IS a uniform shop nearby.

Any watch from a dollar store or Wal-Mart will do the trick. Just so long as it has a second hand.

Good luck and have fun :)

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Personally, I think one should have to be in EMS, LEO, or FD for 5 years or more before they should be eligible to order from Gall's... their business would be cut in half. As well, one really does not have to have a second hand.. if one preferred sure.. but, all one has to do is either count for one minute (seconds) 30 seconds or if regular rate for 15 seconds.

My old trustee Timex has been doing the job for about 15 years and still a tickin... before that a Casio .. both bought at Wal-Mart for < $30.00

R/r 911

OP
OP
M

mysterl33

Forum Crew Member
Thank you all for your replies.

although those watches are really nice, I'm still a high school student with no job so I can't afford them :unsure:

I saw this from another person who needed a stethoscope and I'm thinking of getting it. Big Shears Cardiology II Stethoscope

anybody know about this company? It's affordable for me so I was thinking of getting it.

thanks for your help!^_^

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Hmm... I never heard of them but if you are looking around on E-bay look for a Littman steph. Folks have found them there and they are a good piece of equipment to have! trauma shears you could get there also or like other folks have said, try the local uniform shop!:)

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Timex watches rock, cheap easy and if the pt. pukes on it , not too big of a loss!:p

emtbuff

Forum Captain
Walmart or similar type department stores have some pretty decent watches that will work for class.

As for the other stuff if you know anybody off the local department or if you are a part of a volley department or the likes they might be willing to let you use a cuff, scope, and other equipment for the class as long as it get back in the rig. Usually they have an extra one in the cabinet someplace.

Or if you want to fork out the money a local uniform shop usually has all the necessary equipment. Not sure about EMS students but i know locally if your a nursign student and have id you can get a discount. Doesnt' hurt to ask.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
HAHAHA

Rolex is a good choice for EMS!

No, its really not. First off, most Breitlings and the Rolex Daytona utilize an automatic chronographic movement which is not completely accurate and the "seconds hand" is too small to accurately assess pulse and respirations. I occasionally wear my Omega Seamaster as it is probably one of the most rugged dive watches available, the lume is excellent, and the movement the most accurate automatic available. Not to mention it is less likely to get "jacked" off of my wrist when responding to ummmm, lets say demographically challenged environments. To wear a $4k-10k watch on an ambulance is just plain stupid and quite tacky. I enjoy my fine timepieces and I'd like to keep them unharmed therefore they stay at home. If you want to show off your wears, do it off duty.

Seiko and Citizen are your best bang for the buck! JMHO.......................

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Personally, I think one should have to be in EMS, LEO, or FD for 5 years or more before they should be eligible to order from Gall's... their business would be cut in half.
Sorry Rid, but I'm missing the logic here.

Why should Gall's have to suffer from probie's whackerisms?

premedtim

Forum Lieutenant
Walmart or similar type department stores have some pretty decent watches that will work for class.

As for the other stuff if you know anybody off the local department or if you are a part of a volley department or the likes they might be willing to let you use a cuff, scope, and other equipment for the class as long as it get back in the rig. Usually they have an extra one in the cabinet someplace.

Or if you want to fork out the money a local uniform shop usually has all the necessary equipment. Not sure about EMS students but i know locally if your a nursign student and have id you can get a discount. Doesnt' hurt to ask.

This might be the norm, actually, to receive some sort of discount. When I went to a medical supply store in town to get a Littman II SE stetho and a BP cuff, they gave me 15% off for being an EMT student.

Nycxice13

Forum Lieutenant
No, its really not. First off, most Breitlings and the Rolex Daytona utilize an automatic chronographic movement which is not completely accurate and the "seconds hand" is too small to accurately assess pulse and respirations. I occasionally wear my Omega Seamaster as it is probably one of the most rugged dive watches available, the lume is excellent, and the movement the most accurate automatic available. Not to mention it is less likely to get "jacked" off of my wrist when responding to ummmm, lets say demographically challenged environments. To wear a $4k-10k watch on an ambulance is just plain stupid and quite tacky. I enjoy my fine timepieces and I'd like to keep them unharmed therefore they stay at home. If you want to show off your wears, do it off duty.

Seiko and Citizen are your best bang for the buck! JMHO.......................

And if you think I seriously ware my Brietling on calls, you are nuts.