Need some things..

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
I saw this from another person who needed a stethoscope and I'm thinking of getting it. Big Shears Cardiology II Stethoscope

Wow, that's actually a pretty damn good deal if you get the shears and a Littmann scope. I think those shears were like $80 each on their own. The auction went for $24.99

eBay is a great way to go. :)

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
WOW ! $20.00 for a penlight.. Geez, I have a buttload of crap I can sell you, if your willing to purchase that type of stuff! ...

My advice is get a 50 cent disposable pen light, since after your clinical you'll never use it again, get a $10.00 cheap stethoscope, and a look for a used sphygmonometer for about <$10.00 and you are finished.

Put that extra cash $$ for books, and tuition on the next level, if you do proceed. Then when and if you finish paramedic school buy your self a nice medium price stethoscope that will have sentimental meaning and you will know what to listen to as well. You still will not use penlights except to find your car keys... I use the ambient light or a laryngoscope that is always handy.. if not I have 2000 watt spot light.. (just joking.. okay maybe not..lol)

Ask most EMT's what they are looking for with a penlight & they will respond PEARLA.. and then ask specifically what does that mean in relation to head injuries and overdoses ? Chances are they cannot answer... even Doc's no longer hardly look for PEARLA since >10 -20% population has anasocoria (unequal pupils).

When you are in ER most of them have free penlights from drug reps.. I am sure they might give you a few! ..

Good luck !

R/r 911

OP
OP
M

mysterl33

Forum Crew Member
haha

so in my EMT-B class, it says 10-hour hospital time.. im guessing thats working with the paramedics in the ER?

well thankfully, the rescue squad I'm in is getting me a stethoscope and bp cuff. so i thought I'd get the penlight since it's another requirement. where can i get the cheap penlights? ^_^

oh and I'm going to college next year and plan to go to med-school after i graduate. who knows, that might change though :wacko:

HorseHauler

Forum Lieutenant
So i need to get a penlight now.. and found this one...anybody have experience with this one or the brand? any suggestions? i want something that'll last haha.

Streamlight Stylus LED Penlight

I actually just bought this light, not for a pen light, but simply becuase it makes an awesome light that fits PERFECTLY in your shirt pocket next to your ink pen. This thing will light up a whole room and a car with ease. I am amazed on how bright this light is, and waterproof! After reading all the comments on galls.com and seeing it in action from a fellow medic I had to get one. However, this thing is actually too bright to be checking the pupils, so stick with the simple 50 cent pen lights for that use.

Eric

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
So i need to get a penlight now.. and found this one...anybody have experience with this one or the brand? any suggestions? i want something that'll last haha.

Streamlight Stylus LED Penlight

I have one and I have given them to folks as gifts for medic and nursing school, I think they are great and I think they are worth the investment for down the road...... but just for now the disp. pen light will do just fine for class. The same goes for cheap pens, things will fall out of your pockets and land in some NASTY things sometimes!:wacko: Welcome to the world of EMS! ;) Be well and safe!:)

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
haha

so in my EMT-B class, it says 10-hour hospital time.. im guessing thats working with the paramedics in the ER?:

Chances are since it is not even a full shift, more of an observation clinical you will watch procedures and maybe take vitals signs etc.. You maybe assigned to a nurse in ER to follow around.

R/r 911

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I lose way too many penlights to buy a pricey one. Give me a cheap one I don't have to worry about!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I've got a better solution.. since I almost always have my scope, I got one of the LED lights that clips around the stethascope head... I love it, and I don't have to worry about having a pen light.

Otherwise, just get a cheap, disposible one - you might steal it from the squad.