Need For Definitive Care

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
thanks, do you have any suggestions on what else i can do to further my education(other than going to medic and nursing school)?

I have one.

Learn from others around you. VentMedic "p!ssed you off" but she's extremely intelligent, educated and very helpful if you ask her questions instead of looking for an insult in her posts. A lot of people who post here are helpful and phenomenally smart, but they're not there to hold your hand and give you fuzzies. If you can't take the heat...

although i am a female

What does that have to do with ANYTHING?

medic417

The Truth Provider

We all know females are bad medics.:p

Actually I think she was joking as was I.

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief

medic417

The Truth Provider

medic417

The Truth Provider
I've always assumed Medic417 was female... it would certainly explain the PMS.

Well we know what assuming does. Makes an a.. out of U and me. No PMS for me I just come accross a little brash at times.

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief
I have one.

Learn from others around you. VentMedic "p!ssed you off" but she's extremely intelligent, educated and very helpful if you ask her questions instead of looking for an insult in her posts. A lot of people who post here are helpful and phenomenally smart, but they're not there to hold your hand and give you fuzzies. If you can't take the heat...

yeah i was just joking. and i know she's intelligent, i've already have learned from some of her posts and from others. as medic417 already knows, i tend to react about certain things harshly before actually thinking about what was meant.

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief

medic417

The Truth Provider

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
what do you think about the pepp and phtls classes?
Sure. Those are very fundamental classes, and the information in them is beneficial at all levels. Highly recommended, especially the PHTLS.

and is it possible for an emt to take an acls class, granted i know that i wouldn't be able to truly use it, but thought it would be cool.(yeah i'm a nerd)
Depends on the course and course coordinator. Some let anyone in. Money is money. Others are selective, because they don't want to get bogged down answering questions that the students should already know at that level. Regardless, I don't particularly recommend ACLS for basics. Not because it is over your head, but because it simply is not a teaching course. They don't teach you anything. They very rapidly review information that you are supposed to already know from reading the text ahead of time. They check you off on skills you are supposed to already know ahead of time, then they give you a card that really means nothing. If ACLS were run as a truly educational instruction course, as it was in the old days, I might feel different about it. Unfortunately, today it is going to only leave you with a lot of questions, and very few answers. They're not going to teach you to do any skills. It's really a waste of time for a basic. And the basics I've seen do it come out with an attitude that they are "qualified" to do everything a medic does, and the medics end up hating them, lol. It's just not worth it.

oh that is the book that i was reading about ekgs. its funny cause he said the same thing about it being the only book i would need. lol.
No doubt. There is always more to learn. And there are a few other books that go deeper into the pathophysiology, as well as the more obscure conditions, and you should check those out after medic school. But for a foundation that is better than most medics in this country, finish that book a couple of times, and you can sleep through EKGs in school.

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief
I have one.

another thing is, maybe some of you medics shouldn't think that every emt is the same. granted when it comes to the amount of medical care that can be provided is the same, we are not all the same when it comes to education. so don't think that every single emt is stupid(i use that word, cause i can't think of a better one that will get my point across)

Last edited by a moderator:

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief
And the basics I've seen do it come out with an attitude that they are "qualified" to do everything a medic does, and the medics end up hating them, lol.

who wouldn't hate them if they had that mentality? lol

JPINFV

Gadfly
who wouldn't hate them if they had that mentality? lol

Because it's like a paramedic walking into an ER and thinking that they qualified to do everything a physician can. Unfounded arrogance is not a good thing to have.

JPINFV

Gadfly
another thing is, maybe some of you medics shouldn't think that every emt is the same. granted when it comes to the amount of medical care that can be provided is the same, we are not all the same when it comes to education. so don't think that every single emt is stupid(i use that word, cause i can't think of a better one that will get my point across)

You have to treat every EMT-B you encounter but don't know as you would the average EMT. For example, I don't go around expecting to do more than I already do because I'm an EMT-B with an undergrad and working on a graduate degree. There isn't an EMT-JPINFV level (yet), therefore if I'm working with someone I don't know, it's reasonable to for me to expect to be treated the same as any other EMT-B. To be honest, frank, and serious, unfortunately having an EMT-B certification isn't much to hee and haw over. In the health care world, it simply isn't that hard or demanding of a certification/level to achieve.

emtfarva

Forum Captain
AMR is the largest Ambulance service in the US and owned by Laidlaw. Laidlaw is the largest TRANSPORT company in Canada. They also run school buses.
AMR is not owned by laidlaw anymore. They bought themselves and became EMSC.

emtfarva

Forum Captain
Do you know what a concentrator is?

Do you know why patients in NHs and homecare patients are on concentrators?
Do you always answer questions with a question?

A concentrator takes the 21% O2 in the air and concentrates it so it becomes a higher % of O2, but it does not provide 100% O2. Yes, 'cause it is cheaper and easier to use electricity than using bottles that have to be refilled. But my Question was why are Pt's with diff breathing are not placed on 99% O2 by NRB instead of being on a concentrator at 2-5 litters when every SNF has O2 bottles?

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Because few, if any patients need 99 percent oxygen.

emtfarva

Forum Captain
Someone that is breathing 35 times a minute with a B/P 50 systolic and can not speak? This person does not need at least a mask. UOA the Pt was found on a simple face mask at 6 lpm. Or someone breathing 4 times a minute, doesn't need to be bagged? This person wasn't even on O2. The call came in as a sz. Where was the O2? I was taught to Provide O2 for these Pt's. I am not bashing you personally, but why do not LPNs and Rns at SNF just use common sense.

DevilDuckie

Forum Crew Member
I still don't get why we need to put people on 15L of oxygen.. As long as that bag is full... It's not like we can shove more down their throat.