National shortage of Epi 1:10,000???

Trashtruck

Forum Captain
Ummm...
Is anybody else having to dilute epi 1:1000 to to get epi 1:10000 due to the national shortage?
Just curious...

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Yes, there is a national shortage of epi 1:10,000, along with about 200 other drugs. Although 1mg of 1:1000 is the same as 1mg of 1:10,000 so there isn't a much point in diluting it*.

*This is assuming you are giving it in a running line and not via saline lock.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
please don't let this turn into another epi concentration calculation thread.

We only stock 1:1000 and the RN's haven't been complaining so dunno.
we have everything we need now, but are running short on a few others.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Haven't seen it yet but heard lots of talk about it.

I'm with Aidey, you don't really have to dilute it if you're pushing it into a running line.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Maybe if people actually gave it Q5 during an arrest and not 5 amps in 5 minutes we would have more of it... -_-

Anjel

Forum Angel
Not Epi.

There is a recent hospital shortage of Heparin. Then of course the valium we no longer have.

sirengirl

Forum Lieutenant
No shortage of Epi here.

Now Mag Sulfate... That's a different story.

what is this mag sulfate of which you speak?? :blink: is it like that mystical 2-pam i heard about in medic school?? :p

our county is particularly short on the RSI drugs. my truck used a versed for a seizing pedi patient the other day and then we had to call around the county hunting down which stations still have a versed. we found 3 stations.

as far as epi goes, though, i haven't heard or seen a problem (yet) where we are... (knock on wood...)

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Let me rephrase what I said.

There is a confirmed national shortage of 1:10,000 epi. Some areas may still have it in stock, but there is a shortage.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
It's all being funneled to Mexico to make meth.

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
bleh we carry one amp of 1:10000 for pediatric arrests, makes it somewhat easier to give multiple dosages. But if you dont have it and need it its pretty easy to make up.