Narc security question

Vinceh

Forum Crew Member
Is there a federal law that states that paramedics must maintain their Narcs in a locked box when not in use? And/or can they be held on their person for any amount of time regardless if they are in use?

Please provide me information on where to support your answers.

Thanks

Vince

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
I would assume that the narcotics are under the control of the medical director, being stored and used in accordance with the medical director's policies and protocols and not necessarily law. You don't necessarily get to have control of the narcotics because you are a paramedic, you get to have control of them because you are an agent of the medical director. This sounds like a legal question you should consult your attorney and medical director about.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I don't know of any such law. I routinely carry my narcs on my person the entire shift since not all our trucks have lock boxes.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
All of the answers you seek lie at the link under the "practitoner" section.

http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/pubs/manuals/sec/

I take that back. Seems as though I can't find the section. In a lock box or on your person is what the local DEA office has told us though.

Why are you needing this info?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
The rules I've always been told for Class II drugs are either double locked or locked and on your person. And the DEA considers a tamper seal as a lock.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Has anyone been able to find official statute or law discussing security requirements that can be cited?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Just remember to triple seal your Schedule 1 Narcs... ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:

Trashtruck

Forum Captain
My Schedule I narcs are kept on my person at all times, under double-secret covert security.

The schedule II's are under double lock. I don't know of a law or anything stating they have to be, but it has been the policy of places I've worked.

AlphaOmega

Forum Probie
I don't know of any such law. I routinely carry my narcs on my person the entire shift since not all our trucks have lock boxes.

Anything sched.II we are required to keep locked down.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Is there a federal law that states that paramedics must maintain their Narcs in a locked box when not in use? And/or can they be held on their person for any amount of time regardless if they are in use?

Please provide me information on where to support your answers.

Thanks

Vince
Part one: ask a pharmacist or /and your boss and/or your EMSA.
PArt two: rubbish

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

JPINFV

Gadfly
Schedule I?

Drugs with addictive properties and no known drug use. These are the drugs that absolutely cannot be bought legally. Fun fact... cocaine is less heavily regulated than marijuana.

JPINFV

Gadfly
No medical purpose. The very illegal drugs

Snipped...

h84C64747

TransportJockey

Forum Chief