Music/radio genre while on duty

Milton

Forum Ride Along
Hello, Ladies and Gentlemen, I was wondering what kind of music everyone listened to while on duty. By on duty I mean music playing lightly enroute to a call and very lightly while waiting for a call with the radio turned all the way up so that directions could be heard. For me on the pre-employment ride-alongs were music was played it was country and old school rap.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Country, rock, pop, hip hop, rap, pretty much anything. It changes by day and by partner.

If we have an EMT/Medic student sometimes we will play justin Bieber and other really bad music. We will turn off the speakers in front and leave the ones on in back haha

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Country, rock, pop, hip hop, rap, pretty much anything. It changes by day and by partner.

If we have an EMT/Medic student sometimes we will play justin Bieber and other really bad music. We will turn off the speakers in front and leave the ones on in back haha

This. My old partner and I would default to either The Biebs or Cascada.

Also, to be honest I don't keep the music down low and the radio up high. We're always dispatched as "medic xxx taking traffic in the area of xxx and xxx." Then a pause, sometimes up to a minute before the actual dispatch comes out while they're sending other units to other calls or trying to get an official location they can dispatch to. Comes with experience but you get really good at hearing your unit number through basically anything after you've done it for a while. Especially if you work in a system that's 100% radio and no MDTs.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Yeah, I keep my work radio loud enough to hear, but it's not even close to the primary way we're dispatched. Multiple minitor pagers, cell phone specific dispatch tones, alpha pagers, and the MDT flashing over to a call and verbalizing "Incident Assigned" typically does the trick. Hearing them call on the radio first just prevents me from jumping through the roof if the pager volume is turned up high.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
We don't sit in trucks, so we don't have to wrry about missing a call due to music. But generally it's on country

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I've more than halfway done my quest to have preset number six be the only alternative-rock channel on the area in every one of the 11 ambulances and one EMS utility vehicle in the county. I can't listen to anymore country, oh please no stop.

Rin

Forum Captain
Anything but country, rap, or heavy metal. I can withstand about one song from those genres before my ears begin bleeding.

Rock, pop, and R&B are good for me. Toss in a bit of world music, maybe the odd techno/electronica/dubstep/whatever track if you're rockin' Pandora shuffle and I'm good. I like variety.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
This. My old partner and I would default to either The Biebs or Cascada.

Also, to be honest I don't keep the music down low and the radio up high. We're always dispatched as "medic xxx taking traffic in the area of xxx and xxx." Then a pause, sometimes up to a minute before the actual dispatch comes out while they're sending other units to other calls or trying to get an official location they can dispatch to. Comes with experience but you get really good at hearing your unit number through basically anything after you've done it for a while. Especially if you work in a system that's 100% radio and no MDTs.

x2. I could be in a dead sleep, but as soon as my unit number comes over the radio I almost have a heart attack from waking up so fast. Now with my new job I will be in a fire station so that's really no longer an issue.

As for music? Country, and not that pop country crap that's hogging up the radio today. How people listen to R&B and pop are beyond me. But I am sure a lot of people say that about country. Thankfully southerners typically like my choice!

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
Headphones on so I can listen to what i want. Despise radio music and miami doesn't have really many choices it's all just bad pop.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Headphones on so I can listen to what i want. Despise radio music and miami doesn't have really many choices it's all just bad pop.
I will argue with headphones...how do you even have a chance at hearing your dispatches with headphones in?

Reactions: Jon

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I will argue with headphones...how do you even have a chance at hearing your dispatches with headphones in?
Maybe only 1 earbud in? I do that sometimes when I'm working with partners who don't like the radio being on or want to watch movies.

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy

UnkiEMT

Forum Truck Monkey
Premium Member
Personally, when I'm driving while loaded, I tune the radio to the local classical station, both because the receivable footprint covers 90% of the areas I drive in and because I figure there's absolutely no way a patient can complain about the music (assuming they can manage to overhear it in the first place.) They may not like it, but they can't say that it offends them.

Jason

Medic
We use radio and MDC dispatching. I like to turn up the dispatch radio and listen to: rock, old rock, Pop, some rap, or some country. I plug in my iPod into the AUX port and listen to whatever I and my partner are in the mood for. I have quite the variety of music on my iPod. Never know when the mood may strike.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
i dont put stuff on high volume
It's harder to hear in a crowded, loud restaurant than it is with my personal music on.

To each their own I guess. Just personal experience I had a partner who always would wear headphones and would always miss radio traffic.

I took their headphones away after it happened more than once.

Crowded restaurants suck I do agree there, they put shoulder mics on all our radios and that made it better but I hate wearing them. I'd prefer something like a single earpiece and lappel mic setup.

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
We use radio and MDC dispatching. I like to turn up the dispatch radio and listen to: rock, old rock, Pop, some rap, or some country. I plug in my iPod into the AUX port and listen to whatever I and my partner are in the mood for. I have quite the variety of music on my iPod. Never know when the mood may strike.

Unfortunately must of the people that I work with are not death metal connoisseurs.

Jason

Medic
Unfortunately must of the people that I work with are not death metal connoisseurs.
-- that is unfortunate :(
However, that is why I like having my iPod ... whatever the mood ... I probably have it :)

kirky kirk

RN, EMT-B
Anything from AC/DC rock to Celine Dion ballads. Depends really on who's In-charge of the team deployed. :p