Mouth to Mouth

Would you Do Mouth to Mouth with out a barrier?

• Total voters

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
With all the thing we are exposed to in EMS, it is just as likely that we will transmit something to the patient... like our gum... What? Never happened to any of you? :blush:

VentMedic

Forum Chief
With all the thing we are exposed to in EMS, it is just as likely that we will transmit something to the patient... like our gum... What? Never happened to any of you? :blush:

In the late 1970s when I first started my Paramedic training, there were not 8 EMT(P)s on every scene as there is today. The world was also a little less scary and all the resistant strains of whatever had yet to be discovered or created.

When intubating, we were trained to do mouth to tube to confirm placement since you were working on the intubation by yourself and it was safer then letting go of the bag to reposition the ETT. Your partner was either starting a line or doing compressions depending on the situation. Occasionally, someone would blow their gum down the ETT. The other mistake was not taking the needle off the syringe when putting meds down the tube. That always made for a bad report day with extra pages explaining why you should still be a Paramedic to your Medical Director.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief

I use the five second rule. :)

john76

Forum Probie
i voted yes.because if i was right there at the scene and could save someones life i would do it without hesitation.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
I am going to go with the friends and family choice.

Why even bother with PPE if you are going to blow it all in one call by doing mouth to mouth?

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Family, and a few friends ;)

I'd instruct someone on the proper way to do mouth to mouth if needed. if no one else is there... Compression only.

Burlyskink

Forum Lieutenant
Done it, and yes if someone's life was really in need of it; I would. Sorry, the brain needs oxygen and I can share. Don't think I really could live with myself knowing I with held care. What is going to hurt? Your chances of recieving worse things can come by touching door handles and shaking hands.

R/r 911

This. When someone is in a life or death situation I would be more then willing to do mouth to mouth

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Only on you Sasha............:D

Seriously though, probably not. There are too many risks for disease for me to place my lips on a total stranger. Besides, if I'm on duty, then I'll have the appropriate equipment. If I'm off duty, I wouldn't be getting involved.

Family is pretty simple........ My parents both have DNR's, and I wouldn't hesitate on my wife or kids.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I said yes for people I know well. My policy is that if I have kissed you (or would be willing to kiss you under normal circumstances) I would do mouth to mouth on you without a barrier device.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
I said yes for people I know well. My policy is that if I have kissed you (or would be willing to kiss you under normal circumstances) I would do mouth to mouth on you without a barrier device.

Well I hope their willing to not throw up in your mouth.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Icky, but if I've kissed them already, I've probably already got what they have.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
I put no, tear or cut a chunk off their shirt and use that as a barrier device if I can't do any better. To me it's not about keeping the germs and such off me, more so a filter for the solids that tend to be involved in a resuscitation.

8jimi8

CFRN
i would do it.... HOPEFULLY i will always have a barrier available. Which reminds me... I need to put a few in the first aid kit in the car...