Most useless equipment you carry

atticrat

Forum Crew Member
Been looking into thigh rigs for carrying some of the items I use most often.

As I asked the people I see with them about what they carry, I'm shocked at some of the items I hear listed. Expecting things like, IV starts, gauze pads, scope.......

Hearing things like, a sandwich, pack of smokes, energy drink.....and the super usefull, phone charger. More of a man purse type of deal I guess.

What would you think is the most useless item to carry? Something there is no possible use for on your person.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
The most useless thing I carry with me is an expired credit card I've never taken out of my wallet.

reaper

Working Bum
Useless would be iv start kits and gauze pads! Why would I need those? They are on the truck. I carry things I need personally. Yes, phone charger is a must have. Snacks, Tylenol and extra cash are just some of the most needed things.

Fox800

Forum Captain
Carrying a stethoscope is useless? Let me know how you get a manual blood pressure or assess your respiratory patients without it.

Get back to me on that one.

Fox800

Forum Captain
For us? Lasix, probably.

Not going to benefit you in the field, and can do a lot of harm if given when not indicated.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I never used a tall cervical collar.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
I never used a tall cervical collar.

This is totally anecdotal, but I have been told that in excess of 90% of patients are short or no-neck collars, and my experience has borne that out. The outliers I've had have been "what's shorter than no-neck" rather than "what did we do with that one tall collar that's been in the rig for three years."

I've never used a traction splint, either, even though a disproportionate amount of time in EMT school was spent practicing with one.

MS Medic

Forum Captain
I've heard a few basics who will tell you the most useless thing on an ambulance is a paramedic. :p

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
FROP-VD

Don't use it

2x2 gauze, 4 inch tape, 4 inch roller, 1/2 inch tape, sharps container

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Most useless thing I carried with me (at least in the ambulance) was one of those little camp pillows. I pretty much rarely (if ever) got to actually use it to snooze... :(

Next most useless thing I had was a partner that was so incompetent that dispatch generally kept us from answering calls... They'd just send us to post somewhere out of the way. Anyone else with me and we'd be running all day. Anyone with him? Well... not so much. Only if they had to... but he wasn't so incompetent that they'd want to fire him.

MS Medic

Forum Captain
Next most useless thing I had was a partner that was so incompetent that dispatch generally kept us from answering calls... They'd just send us to post somewhere out of the way. Anyone else with me and we'd be running all day. Anyone with him? Well... not so much. Only if they had to... but he wasn't so incompetent that they'd want to fire him.

Sounds like a pretty useful thing to have on the boolance to me. :p

MS Medic

Forum Captain
Seriously, the most useless thing I ever carried on the truck was Decadron. We had it on the truck at my last service but our protocols did not allow it to be used at all. Then there is the syrup of ipecac. No one can use it but the state EMS office has not taken it off the mandatory stock items list.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Then there is the syrup of ipecac. No one can use it but the state EMS office has not taken it off the mandatory stock items list.

You all have that problem too, eh? Apparently my state isn't the only one with a DOH that doesn't even know which direction is up.

--------------

Now just so the rest of you know, since the OP seemed to be referring to useless personal equipment, I'm sticking with a wing-backed chair.

Pittsburgh77

Forum Crew Member
The most useless thing I carry on the ambulance would have to be; activated charcoal.

Nothing grinds my gears more, then when it's expired on the trucks and I go to the supply room AND THE BOTTLES ARE EVEN OLDER THAN WHAT WE HAVE IN THE TRUCKS!

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I would go with lasix also. Or maybe 8 of the 10 NRBs we ar required to carry (waaay too man).

I find it interesting you find charcoal useless, I've used in 4-5 times in the last year or so. Which is 4-5 times more than I've used lasix.