Most useless equipment you carry

JPINFV

Gadfly
The two(!) open top bed pans we carry. I'm cool with helping someone use a urinal, male or female. But I'll be damned if I'm gonna help someone climb onto a bedpan, drop a deuce, wipe for them and then have that sucker riding around uncovered...

Do you not have red bags?

Cohn

Forum Lieutenant
stair chair.... there is no buildings except our station with a second floor.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
They are useful for much more than just multi story buildings.

Cohn

Forum Lieutenant

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
They are useful for much more than just multi story buildings.

If they're the newer style with four wheels it's one of the most useful movement devices in the truck (and if it's got the tracks, it's the bees knees). If it's the older style with two wheels it's still useful, but somewhat more limited in utility.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead

That's interesting, the stair chair is far and away the most commonly used people mover on our truck.

you let people drop a deuce in your ambulance?

We had a while thread on carrying hemostats, I always have one, and I use them often

Cohn

Forum Lieutenant
That's interesting, the stair chair is far and away the most commonly used people mover on our truck.

you let people drop a deuce in your ambulance?

We had a while thread on carrying hemostats, I always have one, and I use them often

Never ran into someone that had to drop a #2

One time a lady with n,v,d we hit a bump (dirt road) on our way back to the station (to meet up with the medic) and all I hear from the box is "oh im sorry" she apparently crapped herself. Luckily it stayed in her pants and the medic was there waiting for us :)

reaper

Working Bum
Are we 2 year olds?

You can not show a pt dignity. You would rather let them crap their pants and sit in it?

Come on people. Everyone wants to be health professionals, start acting like it.

Cohn

Forum Lieutenant
Are we 2 year olds?

You can not show a pt dignity. You would rather let them crap their pants and sit in it?

Come on people. Everyone wants to be health professionals, start acting like it.

I'm sorry next time ill let you drive so you can avoid the bumps in the dirt road.

Cohn

Forum Lieutenant
Neither have I, but if I had I'd rather haven them do so in a bed pan than in their pants.

Yeah well duh lol

My comment was about stair chairs in a town with no 2 story buildings

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
Neither have I, but if I had I'd rather haven them do so in a bed pan than in their pants.

Still, sometimes they're boarded/collared or otherwise unable to be bedpan-ed.
Sometimes they don't even mention it until you notice the smell.
So, while a bedpan is the best thing to do, sometimes people are going to poop their pants and there's nothing you can do until you get to the hospital. Do I like it? No, and I'm sure the pt doesn't either. But I can't really see what else we're supposed to do.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
(sigh...)

This is why I should know better than to post coming off of a long, incredibly frustrating shift, in a month where I've spent more time at work than home.

Reaper, your right. It is important to treat the patients with dignity and worst come to worst, yeah, I would help an old lady onto the bed pan. I just don't like the IDEA of it.

I appologize. My borderline burnout additude has been starting to show on here recently. Looking forward to the new year and new employees coming on shift.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
Still, sometimes they're boarded/collared or otherwise unable to be bedpan-ed.
Sometimes they don't even mention it until you notice the smell.
So, while a bedpan is the best thing to do, sometimes people are going to poop their pants and there's nothing you can do until you get to the hospital. Do I like it? No, and I'm sure the pt doesn't either. But I can't really see what else we're supposed to do.

If the bed pan is available, and usable (however relatively few of my patients were ever backboarded), and they mention it, I'd sue the bed pan. Anything else and I'm not going to sweat it. Just because some patients can't use it because of the medical devices applied and other patients would rather mess themselves doesn't mean we ignore those that can use it and are willing to.

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
If the bed pan is available, and usable (however relatively few of my patients were ever backboarded), and they mention it, I'd sue the bed pan. Anything else and I'm not going to sweat it. Just because some patients can't use it because of the medical devices applied and other patients would rather mess themselves doesn't mean we ignore those that can use it and are willing to.

I wasn't suggesting never using it--if it's possible a bedpan should be used, especially for low priority pts that can handle the moving around that it requires.
I was just saying it's unfeasible to use a bedpan on every pt in the ambulance.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
If they're the newer style with four wheels it's one of the most useful movement devices in the truck (and if it's got the tracks, it's the bees knees). If it's the older style with two wheels it's still useful, but somewhat more limited in utility.

I have to agree here. The tracked stair chair is perhaps the greatest EMS invention since the non-rebreather mask and the Hare traction splint (okay, that's a joke, but it's really, really great).

Even if a house is single storey, there are plenty of times I've had to stairchair a patient out because the hallway was too narrow for the cot, or because there were rickety, icy, narrow (or all three) front stairs.

Phlipper

Forum Lieutenant
The majority of time during my volunteer shifts the most useless thing I carry is an EMT-B cert, because all I do is drive the truck and stretcher. The non-Certs get to work in the back with the medics and learn while I get to clean up behind them and restock while the NCs smoke, watch TV, play on the computer, flirt, etc. :rolleyes: