Middle School EMS Club

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
As a student teacher I need to start a progam at my school. I'm thinking with my experience in EMS, and working for the ambulance company that serves the city I'm teaching in, maybe I could start an EMS club.

First, do you think there would be interest in a middle school? The kids love to hear about what I do, but would any join an EMS club?

Second, what activities could we do? CPR/First Aid/AED makes sense. BUt what else is fun and hands on?

Any feedback you have on this would be great. Is EMS too mature for a 12 year old? Would having them standby at a school sports game as first aid / AED be too much? Again, your feedback is appreciated :)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
If they were 14, I'd say start an EMS Exploring program.

Perhaps an emergency services club - weekly sessions with some presentations by PD, FD, EMS, as well as first aid / CPR / AED - might not be too bad an idea. Perhaps not "standing by" at events, but maybe helping the sports trainer? You could take this in another direction and do a "Health Careers club" and have presentations by nurses, doctors, x-ray techs, etc.

jon

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
It's not too young for a club but for standby's at events yes. You could set up a specific lesson per week then do something like mock emergencies, or have rallys/walks, some kind of monthly/quarterly community event for awareness or support.

If they had one when I was going to middle school I would have joined, it's a good idea because I don't think the majority of the public knows what we do or to what extent we do things. Hell, even I didn't know until I became one.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
How often would the group meet?
How long would you meet for each time?

Getting them certified in all CPRs/AED/First Aid would be a great start. Also, as mentioned, bringing in Police Officers, Firefighters, EMTs/Paramedics. Maybe have them bring in a couple of squad cars/ SWAT vehicle, couple of the Engines, Rescues, Brush Trucks, and then of course an ambulance. Give them the oppurtunity to jump around on them, play around, etc. Then there are always little drills you can do, little scenarios. I know the Red Cross has inexpensive training kits that you could purchase.

As for doing events, I also think they are too young.

This sounds like fun. You've got me hooked already.

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
Great idea.
I don't think they should be on stand-by for anything official, though.

Get them as many certifications as you can, practice a lot, give them scenarios, see if you can visit different public safety departments (ambulance tour, police station, fire station). This could be a very good thing.

ndilley

Forum Crew Member
the club is a great idea but i agree with others about the standby idea maybe a high school explorer program would be more suiting for that idea...as far as other things go...having a public safety slant would be a great idea...police, fire and ems...(the three greatest ideas society ever had :) ) you should treat the club as an introduction style course instead of having them jump right in...and with bringing in speakers don't forget new aspects of public safety (tactical EMS, the fire/medic, etc... well good luck wish someone would of thought of this while i was in middle school

CaptainPanic

Former EMT...
The local HS here has a Med-Pro class (Medical Professions), where an RN instructor teaches them about all the nice little things such as HIPAA, IV starts (on dummies), asessments, and they have to do a job shadow for 9 weeks at a medical professions clinic (IE- Radiologists, RN, EMT/Medic, Doctor).

Perhaps you could have a psuedo- MedPro where the kids can meet once a week during what would be their study-hall/lunch hour to learn and discuss CPR, AED, asessments, vital signs, and different medical careers, etc. Maybe offer to cert them in layperson CPR at the end of the semester/year. Im sure the parents would be pleased to see their youngsters becoming community servants by taking this and also being useful during a cardiac arrest should they have a family member, teacher, babysitter, friend code out.

Youd be amazed at how well youngsters pick up on this stuff.

Many areas require teen babysitters become infant/toddler/child CPR certified anyways, so I would imagine youd get alot of girls in the class after they find out they have to be CPR certified before they can babysit for neighbors.

Good luck on your program,
-CP