Meeting at the volly...........

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
In a nutshell, one dude shows up, with those grommet holes in his ears, wearing cargo pants, a navy shirt with a state emt patch, and his stethescope around his neck.......but 'forgot' to bring his emt card, cpr card and driver's licesne.

This stunning, looks like a fahion model, college girl from the UK, who spends summers with family here, no certs nor desire to get them....just wants to volunteer, so every guy on duty swarms around her like they have never seen a female before.....the President tells her "just come by, anytime..." I almost think she is some undercover investigator looking to shut the place down.

A 300lb dude who is an auxilliry cop, who sprays spittle when he spoke, and could not modulate the loud tone of his voice, and had a wierd laugh.

One normal looking and acting EMT already in the service. Apparantly his mom is a local high school teacher, guys at the meeting saying, hey your mom failed me....and then the guy has a hundred stories about dudes coming up to him, announcing his mom failed them, as if you fail a high school class, and you appeal that failure to the teachers son...

Hundreds of photos from the 1970s, when the service was more active and needed. Get this, on the flier, it reads the service is needed in case there is another 911/wtc, need coverage for the community....and then in another section reads that on 911/wtc both buses went (guess where) to help out at the wtc...leaving nothing in the hood....?

Big facepalm.

There is more, but its too painful to think about....

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
I looked up some of the people online, one guy has as his facebook group, this jokey-achmed the terrorist thing....

Another buff who thinks we are fighting an entire group of people....just like in the 40s, any american who had German or Japanese heritage was subject to this...and 50s-80s, any american with russian heritage was a "commie"....

I just cant take it.

NJnewbie

Forum Crew Member
Sounds like quite a cast of characters. If you stick with this group, it seems you should hang with the guy with the mom who is a teacher. Sounds like he's the only normal one there. Either that or find another volly service in your area and see what they're like. I don't understand why the girl from the UK is there. If she isn't interested in emergency medicine then why hang out at a volly EMS squad? Strange.

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Well, there is a nicer funded vollie down the road 1/2 mile but they are not taking new people until September.

It girl from the UK wanted to volunteer in general, she could not articulate why she chose an ambulance service.

She is really attractive. Literally could be a model.

The President was normal, not buffed out, but he had this wierd thing of repeating himself and asking the same questions.

And his handwriting looks like that of a patient in a psych center.

Then there was the guy whose hand they closed on a door, who had to tell that story a hundred times.

Then there was this random dude, not an officer, comes over and starts scrutining my application and certifications, with a demeanor like a detective, ..then says he knows my name somehow...and says "mind if I ask what your day job is"

When he found out I am an instructor at the driving school, then he is all smiles and says, oh, that is where I saw it, you are giving me lessons next week....

Another 25+ year old guy in Brooklyn with no driver's license.

Then there was the guy who was literally 5'3", had to be 75 pounds, no joke, the build of an anorexic girl.

Then there was this guy about 5'6", very stocky, with no neck, seriously, no neck....

medic417

The Truth Provider
Guess you better withdraw your app now that you have insulted all of them.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
This could describe just about any department I have ever worked for.

Including the "pro" ones.

medic417

The Truth Provider
This could describe just about any department I have ever worked for.

Including the "pro" ones.

So are you the anorexic girl looking man?:unsure:

Veneficus

Forum Chief
So are you the anorexic girl looking man?:unsure:

I wish, I would be a right site better than I look now :)

But a collection of misfits trying to do some good isn't always a bad thing. I knew a LT was worked for a major city FD who was a carnie.

A good guy and a great fireman.

Last edited by a moderator:

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Yes, but they're not dispatched by FDNY. They just "buff" jobs. They scan the radio, and then try to beat the 911 unit responding to that particular job. Technically, they're only supposed to respond if called directly, if the pt decides to call them rather than 911. Also, if they get flagged for an MVA or pt on the street, they can treat and transport. They get the call type and location over the radio, and then self dispatch to the job. They're not supposed to do that, and can get in trouble for doing so. In general, no one makes an issue out of it unless they demonstrate poor pt care and scene management. Some hospital based 911 providers have made issue of the vollie's self dispatch since they're taking their pts, which costs them lost revenue. Otherwise, the 911 units are generally happy to have the vollies take their pts, since it's less work for them to do, unless it's a good call.

TraprMike

Forum Lieutenant
:ph34r:SOUNDS LIKE THIS BUNCH OF GOONS ON EMTLIFE..

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
The organizations started in the 1970s, when they were needed.

The whole listening to scanner thing concerns me.

I ACTUALLY ASKED the President about 911 calls, I knew that already, but I just wanted to hear him say it. He says they are 911 participating, so I said does 911 give them calls.....he replied "ehhhhh not exactly...we'll get in to that later....

Sidestory, I moved here ten years ago, but this is actually where my Great Grandfather lived. He was in the a fire department that had evolved into a supper club...

During the Civil War, if a man was in a volly fire unit, he got out of the draft. Every area had one. Then municaps started and they 'competed' to get to fires, I actually found a late 1890s article about how this department bungled up a fire....but by the turn of the century, when my g-grandfather was in it

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
And beleive me, I gave you the short version, about 10% of what went on.....

A FEW MORE TIDBITS.....

The dude with the patch and stethescope is already on another vollie company......but wants to be in two....some of the guys hanging around insulted the other company....(which seems better funded)

And the really hot British Girl, actually this summer she will be away in August, so how much actual 'work' will she do in the next three weeks....other than providing mastrubatory fodder for the membership.....?

I just want to join to observe first then get experience assiting in treatments...

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
It must be so great to be perfect in every way to be able to judge your fellow applicants as beneath you. even better to say you are better than all the current members.

btw, you can still wait upwards of 20 minutes for an ambulance in NYC (if they get to you at all, and yes, i know from first hand experience). And if they have a crew, and they are the closest ambulance, why not send them (big political football)?

You don't want to join, because you have prejudged them based on years of friendships, stories, and experiences. and based on your posts here, if you never stepped foot in their station again, it definitely wouldn't be their loss.

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
It must be so great to be perfect in every way to be able to judge your fellow applicants as beneath you. even better to say you are better than all the current members.

btw, you can still wait upwards of 20 minutes for an ambulance in NYC (if they get to you at all, and yes, i know from first hand experience). And if they have a crew, and they are the closest ambulance, why not send them (big political football)?

You don't want to join, because you have prejudged them based on years of friendships, stories, and experiences. and based on your posts here, if you never stepped foot in their station again, it definitely wouldn't be their loss.

Of corse I am not perfect...

And , they did criticize another neighboring vollie....for not being a "real" ambulance service...

And the days of waiting 20 + minutes and never getting anyone are long gone. The times I have called for friends or family etc. it was never more than ten.

AND, admit it, it seems odd they promote themselves by saying they would be the only EMS for the neighborhood if another mass casualty like 911 happened, but they also make a point that on 911, they sent all their ambulances out to the wtc.....

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief

oss.

And I did not say I was 'better' , I just noted how one of the other applicants sprayed when he spoke, could not modulate his voice.....

I never wrote how I was 'better'.....

If they do not accept me so be it.

bryncvp

Forum Lieutenant
Wait....NYC has volley services? I didn't know that and I used to live there. Where are the services? Can you give a few names of them??

94H

Forum Lieutenant
Jamaica Estates Volunteer Ambulance, Forest Hills VAC, Glendale VAC, Glen Oaks VAC, Queens Village VAC, Corona CAC (used to be Volly word on the street was they went paid, and ALS)

Basically volly in NYC is a crapshoot. They listen to the scanner and depending on who is CC they either just buff jobs that are def gonna pay (MVC) or anything they hear remotely close (even outside of coverage area). I can say in 10 weeks of service there were nights that I did no calls and nights I did 4+ calls. Some of my better stories come from those calls though. It was an interesting experience, but the system needs alot of work. All of the VACs (except Rockaway which is a totally different story) are 911 participating, but none actually sign on to get assignments since they pick and choose their calls