Meditation/yoga/levitating....you do it?

Do you do yoga or meditation?

• Yes-I'm as calm as a Hindu cow

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • No-Too fluffy for me, no benefit

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Wasn't Yoda in Star Wars?

Votes: 9 45.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

crash_cart

Forum Crew Member
The YMCA that the wife and I are members of offers yoga classes. I found it to be an excellent way to relax and loosen up after running on the treadmill and lifting weights. I'm one who likes these kinds of things and find it to be very beneficial. The wife can't stand it as she has to be constantly moving and doesn't see a lot of benefit in it for her, but I'm more of an "agitated" one as it is, so the calming influence of yoga or mediatation is something that is right down my alley. As for meditating, I've only done a few sittings at a zen master's home nearby. So, anyone practice yoga or meditation?B)

Topher38

Forum Lieutenant
Meditation, after working out, or when ever I just want a little patience. It works :)

TheDoll

Forum Captain
i do yoga almost every day. i wake up and do sun salutations. also, i meditate at least twice a day for anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes. it seems to be saving me. iscknay on the evitationlay:)

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I meditate every day. I want to take yoga but medic class rules my time.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
As for meditating, I've only done a few sittings at a zen master's home nearby. So, anyone practice yoga or meditation?B)

I have meditated sans the zen master. It works just as well. I put on mp3s of whale sounds, rain fall, new age music and old records of my math teacher. It all works well. Especially my math teacher.

rgnoon

Forum Lieutenant
I too meditate, It is by far the most effective stress management / relaxation technique I have found. I'm now beginning to try to expand my horizons and learn some new techniques. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm open and listening.

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
I have read the Bhagavad Gita cover to cover. I took a class on eastern religions taught by a well-known professor a couple of years ago. I can speak articulately on the subject at the dinner table. American yoga is a bunch of crap. I tend to think the same is true for real yoga, but proving this to an expert would be much harder. If you like stretching and it makes you feel good, then by all means continue.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Reading just one book or taking one class does not adequately give one a chance to assimilate a lifestyle.

I do incorporate a few of the Yoga poses into my exercise and stretching routine. When I take Yoga classes, my first choice is Bikram Yoga since I dislike exercising in the cold and the warmth seems to give a better stretch.

One should not wait until they are injured or disabled to practice some form of relaxation and/or exercise.

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
Reading just one book or taking one class does not adequately give one a chance to assimilate a lifestyle.

Yea, hence what I wrote above.

I am surprised at the number of people who really have no idea about what yoga really is though.

How many of you diehard yoga people have ever read the Gita?

Last edited by a moderator:

Katie

Forum Lieutenant
Meditation and some other relaxation technique, all of which I've found useful. I haven't done yoga but I do martial arts so there's a time to meditate before and after a workout that is well ingrained from day one. Both meditation and other relaxation techniques are good disciplines even beyond martial arts though :)

bonedog

Forum Lieutenant
I often do kata's in the Tai Chi style of breathing.

I also do Qigong, a fine relaxation technique.

paramedix

Forum Lieutenant
Don't know how too... I just scream at a taxi on the highway... usually that works.:rolleyes:

C2F2Girl

Forum Probie
I love the Wai Lana Yoga videos. They are great for beginners with no yoga experience. The cool thing is they come with pretty mats in your choice of color! lol I find meditation, I mean just finding a quiet place and closing my eyes and deep breathing, is really helpful after an especially stressful day. It helps me refocus and diffuse.

EMERG2011

Forum Crew Member
Theres actually a really great guided meditation site I found a few months ago (www.meditainment.com). You go through and answer a few questions and the computer will custom-tailor a meditation to your needs. Its a lil bit pricy, but its an awesome stress reliever.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I have read the Bhagavad Gita cover to cover. I took a class on eastern religions taught by a well-known professor a couple of years ago. I can speak articulately on the subject at the dinner table. American yoga is a bunch of crap. I tend to think the same is true for real yoga, but proving this to an expert would be much harder. If you like stretching and it makes you feel good, then by all means continue.

lol.. AMEN! I first learned yoga in the 70's and studied under a teacher who learned it in India. I have continually practiced it with few lapses as life got busy. I always find myself returning to it.

I gotta laugh about the 'american yoga' comment. I joined a yoga class at a local Y ten or so years back. A the first class the 'instructor' was 'reassuring' the class that there wouldn't be any of that meditation, breathing, woo-woo stuff in her class. I picked up my mat and left the classroom.

bonedog

Forum Lieutenant
Now the ice is off all the lakes I can practise my favourite form of meditation, all one needs is a good flyrod, and not much wind.

If I find a yin/yang imbalance I bonk a fish.....

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Now the ice is off all the lakes I can practise my favourite form of meditation, all one needs is a good flyrod, and not much wind.

If I find a yin/yang imbalance I bonk a fish.....

Dry flies and a 4 wt rod!

bonedog

Forum Lieutenant
BC, I Love using a dry, unfortunately, chronamids usually work...

8 wt for me, keeps me fishing when the wind kicks up.