Medical ID's

OP
OP
B

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
People always seem to notice mine... I've tried a lot of different types. It's gotten better as I've gotten older, so I'm hoping it'll stop eventually. Two of my jobs are also in the sort of macho places where weakness and illness are personality defects, so drawing any attention to it is pretty counterproductive.

I've ordered a medic alert watch for work. At least then I won't have to wear a watch and a bracelet.

That's really awful. I'm so sorry to hear that. :( That both saddens me for you and completely pisses me off. If they walked a mile in our shoes they'd be blubbering freaking babies.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
That's really awful. I'm so sorry to hear that. :( That both saddens me for you and completely pisses me off. If they walked a mile in our shoes they'd be blubbering freaking babies.

Aw, thanks! It's really not as bad as all that, though; I'd quit if the job wasn't otherwise worth it. I've gotten pretty good at quietly creating my own accommodations, over the years.

OP
OP
B

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
Aw, thanks! It's really not as bad as all that, though; I'd quit if the job wasn't otherwise worth it. I've gotten pretty good at quietly creating my own accommodations, over the years.

Well, its just more satisfying when you prove wrong their preconceived, ignorant notions about your strengths or weaknesses. ^_^

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Well, its just more satisfying when you prove wrong their preconceived, ignorant notions about your strengths or weaknesses. ^_^

Exactly. And maybe it'll be a little bit harder for me than someone with a perfect health record, but I can always prove myself eventually. Even there--the fire guys started trying to talk me into taking FFI/II a couple weeks ago. :)

OP
OP
B

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
Exactly. And maybe it'll be a little bit harder for me than someone with a perfect health record, but I can always prove myself eventually. Even there--the fire guys started trying to talk me into taking FFI/II a couple weeks ago. :)

I think this deserves a giant, you go girl! ^_^

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
I think this deserves a giant, you go girl! ^_^

Thanks! I'm really kinda proud of it. Don't know whether I will or not yet. I've been considering it awhile, but I'd rather go to medic school first. Since seats are really limited there, though, I might have a few free months... and it's the best way to start serious technical rescue training in my system.

cfink911

Forum Probie
Necklaces are often times harder to see due to the necklines of shirts.
Bracelets, at least in warmer weather or indoors would be easier to see since most people would have on short sleeves.

Either is fine though, since both are right where you'd be checking a pulse anyway.

Fink

OP
OP
B

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
Thanks! I'm really kinda proud of it. Don't know whether I will or not yet. I've been considering it awhile, but I'd rather go to medic school first. Since seats are really limited there, though, I might have a few free months... and it's the best way to start serious technical rescue training in my system.

How long do each of them last? Can you handle a double load for a little while?

cfink911

Forum Probie

That's how it is around here also, I made so many good connections in FFI/II it was insane.
Great classes for sure.

To be a female and be a full-time paid Firefighter/EMT around here is a rare thing.
There is only one at the FD I'm going to test for and one at a department just south of here and that's it.

It seems like the women who test for it and don't get it end up going to the PD and they usually end up hating it.

I say go for it, it will be a lot of work for a few months but in the end, it will all be worth it.

Fink

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Don't forget the medic alert tats! Seen a few arms.

Ditto... and worse places. I know a girl who got hers on her shoulderblade, and a guy with his on his chest.

bunkie said:
How long do each of them last? Can you handle a double load for a little while?

FFI/II is about five months. Medic is a lot more complicated of an answer, but I'm estimating about a year. Some of my college courses might allow me to test out of some medic classes, making it shorter. I probably wouldn't take both at once unless I wind up otherwise unemployed. Most likely, I'd take FFI/II while waiting for the next round of medic classes.

cfink911 said:
That's how it is around here also, I made so many good connections in FFI/II it was insane.
Great classes for sure.

To be a female and be a full-time paid Firefighter/EMT around here is a rare thing.
There is only one at the FD I'm going to test for and one at a department just south of here and that's it.

It seems like the women who test for it and don't get it end up going to the PD and they usually end up hating it.

I say go for it, it will be a lot of work for a few months but in the end, it will all be worth it.

Fink

Thanks for the advice! They're uncommon here too, but that's changing fast. I didn't even think women could be firefighters until I was 15 or 16 because I never saw any, but now almost every station around here has at least one. I even encountered a station recently in another system that can put up an all-female career engine crew of firemedics and FF/EMTs.

At any rate, the soonest medic or fire courses I can catch start nine months from now. So, I have some time to figure it out. Whether I stay vollie or shoot for career at my department is all going to depend on whether I get into gradschool, too. Whatever I wind up doing, I doubt I'd go for PD... there are a few jobs there I'd like, but I'd hate the majority of the work.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Don't forget the medic alert tats! Seen a few arms.
Medic Alert tats can be useful, but I will ignore a DNR tat as it's not approved for that purpose here...

Our criteria for honoring DNR requests is:
  1. A State EMS Authority POLST form.
  2. A written, signed order or electronic order in the patient's medical record;
  3. A completed Prehospital DNR Request Form stating, "Do Not Resuscitate," "No Code," or "No CPR";
  4. A written order stating, "Do Not Resuscitate," "No Code," or "No CPR" signed by a physician, with the patient's name and date the order was signed;
  5. A written Advance Health Care Directive document or wallet card, including the DNR portion of a “Living Will” or equivalent, identifying the designated agent who declines resuscitation on behalf of the patient. Resuscitation attempts shall not be delayed by attempts to contact the designated agent;
  6. The patient is wearing a DNR medallion.
If any of the above is identified (and in the case of #5, the agent declines resus) we are to stop... Notice that a Medic Alert Tatoo is NOT approved... for DNR purposes. I would not consider it as a DNR medallion.

JPINFV

Gadfly
One thing to keep in mind is that Medic Alert is a brand name for medical bracelets. Before Medic Alert will issue a DNR bracelet, they require that DNR paperwork is completed and turned in to them. Hence why a Medic Alert bracelet is generally accecpted whereas other medallions (I've seen protocols specify "Medic Alert" and not just a general medallion) or tattoos might not be.

http://www.medicalert.com/Main/AdvanceDirectives.aspx#dnr

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
One thing to keep in mind is that Medic Alert is a brand name for medical bracelets. Before Medic Alert will issue a DNR bracelet, they require that DNR paperwork is completed and turned in to them. Hence why a Medic Alert bracelet is generally accecpted whereas other medallions (I've seen protocols specify "Medic Alert" and not just a general medallion) or tattoos might not be.

http://www.medicalert.com/Main/AdvanceDirectives.aspx#dnr
Exactly. A "Medic Alert" medallion for DNR isn't issued without that paperwork... which is why I'll generally ignore any medallions that aren't specifically "Medic Alert". Furthermore, if you decide that you actually DO want to be resuscitated, it's a heck of a lot easier to remove the medallion than the tattoo.

The DNR medallion referenced in the protocol above is that Medic Alert medallion.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I wasn't just replying to you, but to the thread in general. Medic Alert needs to be careful before their name becomes a genericized trademark.

OP
OP
B

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
I wanted to get a tattoo in place of my bracelet, but theres too much crap to tat. :p

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
I wanted to get a tattoo in place of my bracelet, but theres too much crap to tat. :p

I think a surprising amount of providers would miss a tattoo replacing a medical alert bracelet. a lot of people get tunnel vision and if you were un responsive, many may not take the time to read a small print tattoo

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape

Ha--I thought about a tat partially because I have too much for my bracelet. But that's why Medic Alert has the phone subscription service. I've realized my bracelet still has too much small print, and I've been trying to narrow it down. Thinking of going with "do not administer drugs, hx in pocket and phone," and listing the conditions that are most likely to be directly relevant.

OP
OP
B

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
Ha--I thought about a tat partially because I have too much for my bracelet. But that's why Medic Alert has the phone subscription service. I've realized my bracelet still has too much small print, and I've been trying to narrow it down. Thinking of going with "do not administer drugs, hx in pocket and phone," and listing the conditions that are most likely to be directly relevant.

I just hope someone thinks to flip mine over. Which is something I've pointed out to class mates. Check the back! I have my main condition on the front and all the other things as well as my name/contact info on the back side. :wacko: Some of the even open up with little pieces of paper you write it all on and slip it inside, but they aren't water tight. <_< You can join me in a ten inch long med hx tat :p

Medic One

Forum Lieutenant
I usually look for both....

I am still waiting to see "DNR" tatoo on someones chest or place hand here to do CPR on a sternum.

I mean the junkies usually tell me "I saved this vein for EMS...... use this vein please" and sure as you know what it is always a good vein!!