Medical ID's

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
I wear a medical ID bracelet. One of my instructors said that I should have it as a necklace, that its what *he* always checks for. And that any EMT *he's* ever known, almost always checks for a necklace first.

So now I'm wondering, what do you check for? Which is best?

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
Your instructor says probably checks the kneck first, because when you do a rapd physical exam, its a head to toe exam. When I first approach a patient, medical alert tags is something i scan for real quick. The medical alert bracelets are quite common, if not more widely used. you'll be just fine with your bracelet. In my class we were even told to check for medical alert anklets

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
When doing an exam, I'll look for necklace, wrist, and anklet alert tags, even as I'm walking up to you. Chances are pretty good that I'll find it within a few seconds. If you have one... just wear it.

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
When doing an exam, I'll look for necklace, wrist, and anklet alert tags, even as I'm walking up to you. Chances are pretty good that I'll find it within a few seconds. If you have one... just wear it.

thats one of the things i didnt like about practicing patient assessment in basic class, verbalizing checking each extremity for an alert tag. i agree that in all reality you should notice during your scene size up survey, if not then in your initial assessment. it shouldnt wait untill your physical assessment(not that algorithms like this actually last 10 seconds in the field)

BruceD

Forum Lieutenant
I dunno about a necklace.... What if you were wearing it around your neck and your head came off? The medic alert could easily get lost before I got on scene...

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
well, in the case of decapitation... (regardless of medic alert tags) I'd just have to determine death and move on...

wvditchdoc

Forum Crew Member
I dunno about a necklace.... What if you were wearing it around your neck and your head came off? The medic alert could easily get lost before I got on scene...

That is why the other Alert Tag should go in the laces of your boot. O wait that is for Dog Tags...

well, in the case of decapitation... (regardless of medic alert tags) I'd just have to determine death and move on...

:lol:

fiddlesticks

Forum Crew Member
well it dosnt really matter what you wear cause if the pt assessment is done well, your going to find it anyway. keep in mind some ppl have tattoos as a medical alert now( inside arm or wrist). so always keep an eye open and take a good history.

Last edited by a moderator:

BruceD

Forum Lieutenant

But what if they had a particular allergy to decapitation and you missed it due to loss of the tag? Wouldn't you feel like a right fool?

I wonder if Epi is first line rx for decapitation analphylaxis...

Sometimes, occasionally, I wonder if my work hours are too long or if my sense of humor was always this twisted and morbid.

OP
OP
B

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief

That's me as well. I'm looking for it before I get to the PT.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
But what if they had a particular allergy to decapitation and you missed it due to loss of the tag? Wouldn't you feel like a right fool?

I wonder if Epi is first line rx for decapitation analphylaxis...

Sometimes, occasionally, I wonder if my work hours are too long or if my sense of humor was always this twisted and morbid.
well, we lost our grant for emergent sewing-machine re-capitation last week... That Singer was really good...

Maybe staples would work? Hmmm, I sense a new grant proposal...:p

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I personally would find one on the wrist first. Pulse is nearly always checked before the head to toe exam.

Sasha

Forum Chief
It doesn't really matter where they check first, as long as they check all places that could have a medicial alert tag. Someone who only checks the wrist or only checks the neck is foolish and asking for trouble.

Personallly I check both wrists of every patient first, but it's habit from working IFT and looking for ID and allergy braclets and vascular alerts.

OP
OP
B

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
I personally would find one on the wrist first. Pulse is nearly always checked before the head to toe exam.

*nods* In initial assessment. Thats more the train of thought I was having as well. Alright, not spending another 50 bucks on a new tag. Thanks guys. ;)

surub

Forum Crew Member
As Sasha said, don't limit yourself only to the neck and wrist when checking for a ID tag. Just be on your toes ready to observe anything that helps your assessment.

OP
OP
B

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
They even make them as anklets these days. :wacko: Personally, I want mine in the most obvious place, but whatever floats your boat I suppose.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
They even make them as anklets these days. :wacko: Personally, I want mine in the most obvious place, but whatever floats your boat I suppose.

When it's really obvious, people tend to grab for it and ask all sorts of obnoxious personal questions. That's why I completely refused to wear one as a teenager, and still often leave it off.

My instructor also had us check pockets and wallets, but nobody really does that. If you have the time, your patient probably isn't all that critical...

OP
OP
B

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
When it's really obvious, people tend to grab for it and ask all sorts of obnoxious personal questions. That's why I completely refused to wear one as a teenager, and still often leave it off.

My instructor also had us check pockets and wallets, but nobody really does that. If you have the time, your patient probably isn't all that critical...

Mine isn't so obvious people notice it, fortunately. And I really dont mind educating people on my condition. Mine, with a black symbol instead of red.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Mine isn't so obvious people notice it, fortunately. And I really dont mind educating people on my condition. Mine, with a black symbol instead of red.

People always seem to notice mine... I've tried a lot of different types. It's gotten better as I've gotten older, so I'm hoping it'll stop eventually. Two of my jobs are also in the sort of macho places where weakness and illness are personality defects, so drawing any attention to it is pretty counterproductive.

I've ordered a medic alert watch for work. At least then I won't have to wear a watch and a bracelet.