Medical Examiners Card

JPINFV

Gadfly
Considering that the medical requirements are largely federal requirements (hence contacting the federal DOT for the exemption), I highly doubt that there's a ADA case here. After all, who would you want to have better health, the professional driver who has to follow all traffic rules all the time or the professional driver who can, with the flip of a few switches, exempt himself from most of the traffic laws?

8jimi8

CFRN
Considering that the medical requirements are largely federal requirements (hence contacting the federal DOT for the exemption), I highly doubt that there's a ADA case here. After all, who would you want to have better health, the professional driver who has to follow all traffic rules all the time or the professional driver who can, with the flip of a few switches, exempt himself from most of the traffic laws?

So you are suggesting Code 3 allows you to break all traffic laws?

I think no, friend :)

JPINFV

Gadfly
So you are suggesting Code 3 allows you to break all traffic laws?

I think no, friend :)

You can't break laws that you're exempt from, and yes, in California essentially the only traffic law not exempt from is stopping for school buses. This is, of course, not touching on the requirement of driving with due regard.

JPINFV

Gadfly
To clarify the above,

21055. The driver of an authorized emergency vehicle is exempt from Chapter 2 (commencing with Section 21350), Chapter 3 (commencing with Section 21650), Chapter 4 (commencing with Section 21800), Chapter 5 (commencing with Section 21950), Chapter 6 (commencing with 22100), Chapter 7 (commencing with Section 22348), Chapter 8 (commencing with Section 22450), Chapter 9 (commencing with Section 22500), and Chapter 10 (commencing with Section 22650) of this division, and Article 3 (commencing with Section 38305) and Article 4 (commencing with Section 38312) of Chapter 5 of Division 16.5, under all of the following conditions:

[response to an emergency call]
[sounding a siren as needed while displaying a forward facing red lamp]
http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21055.htm

Chapter 2: Traffic signs, signals and markings
Chapter 3: Driving, overtaking, and passing
Chapter 4: Right-of-Way
Chapter 5: Pedestrian Rights and Duties
Chapter 6: Turning, Stopping, and Turning Signals
Chapter 7: Speed Laws
Chapter 8: Special Stops Required
Chapter 9: Stopping, Standing, and Parking
Chapter 10: Removal of Parked and Abandoned Vehicles
http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vctoc.htm

So, yea, emergency vehicles displaying a forward facing red light and basically exempt from traffic laws in California provided the vehicle is operated with due regard. You can't break a law you are exempt from.

Last edited by a moderator:

beandip4all

Forum Lieutenant
OP- I would shop around and try to get different Dr's offices to fill out your form. Some are more lax than others. Also, a PA, NP or chiropractor can all fill out the DM-51 as well...

JPINFV

Gadfly
OP- I would shop around and try to get different Dr's offices to fill out your form. Some are more lax than others. Also, a PA, NP or chiropractor can all fill out the DM-51 as well...
There's always alternatives (see second scene)...
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zvOGdEtje8[/YOUTUBE]

msoda

Forum Probie
I have the same issue. If anyone has some sort of experience with bad vision and getting a waiver for California's ADL I'd really like to hear about it.

OP
OP
S

surfer06

Forum Probie
i have called the exemption number. To qualify for it you have to have 3 years expeirence driving a comercial vehical. Since i dont qualify, she told me to contact my local DMV and speak with the comercial drivers licence director for a waiver around the vision requirments. I hope this works, I have been dealing with this for about a year now and i really want to get a EMT job, and get expierence.

msoda

Forum Probie
MSODA-
what is your vision? I just found a way thru it

20/15 (corrected) in my good eye, 20/40 (or better I forget) in my "bad eye" (uncorrectable), however I have monocular vision. It's odd that with over a decade of driving experience, zero driving violations, and one of the best optometrists in all of California telling me I've basically adapted to having one dominant eye, I can't get qualified.

Also I sent you a PM if you'd like to discuss it there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Medic2409

Forum Lieutenant
I may have stated this elsewhere, but I don't remember perzactly where or if I did...danged somezheimers.

I know two guys, one is a ParaMedic, the other is a FF/EMT-I. Each of these guys only has 1 eye, and they're both pretty damned good at doing the job.

msoda

Forum Probie
I may have stated this elsewhere, but I don't remember perzactly where or if I did...danged somezheimers.

I know two guys, one is a ParaMedic, the other is a FF/EMT-I. Each of these guys only has 1 eye, and they're both pretty damned good at doing the job.

True... but you're not in California. Our :censored::censored::censored::censored: is really, really messed up. There's no way to just have an ophthalmologist give you an O.K., you've got to go through this ridiculous process, and whether it works for me remains to be seen.

msoda

Forum Probie
Alright I was eventually cleared by a doctor. Far as the ambulance driver's license goes, the issue is more or less the DL51 (obviously), which is a major hassle. Since the DL51 is a blanket form it applies to the lowest and highest levels of commercial driver's license and non-CDL. From what I was told by the California Department of Motor Vehicles, unless you're a school bus driver, and your vision isn't terrible, they'll review a DL51 done by any doctor and another form done by an ophthalmologist , 'clearing' or giving a recommendation on your vision. After a review they'll decide on giving you some sort of waiver.

lilchic

Forum Ride Along
I don't know abt a waiver, but what about lasic surgery? I mean if this is what you really want to do..my eyesight is very poor also and rain and darkness makes it even worse..eventually Im going to get it done. ;)