Medical Examiners Card

surfer06

Forum Probie
Hey, I am having a problem getting my Medical Examiners card. My eye sight is; Right eye 20/25 (wth Corrective lens). And Left eye is 20/50 (with Corrective lens). The Green card says I must have 20/40 in each eye. No ambulace company will hire me without the green card. Are their waivers around it? Even if my vision doesn't pass could I have a physician sign off on it?

Sasha

Forum Chief
I thought you had to be a Dr to be a medical examiner.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey, I am having a problem getting my Medical Examiners card. My eye sight is; Right eye 20/25 (wth Corrective lens). And Left eye is 20/50 (with Corrective lens). The Green card says I must have 20/40 in each eye. No ambulace company will hire me without the green card. Are their waivers around it? Even if my vision doesn't pass could I have a physician sign off on it?

Plenty of jobs outside of California. ;)

JPINFV

Gadfly
I thought you had to be a Dr to be a medical examiner.

The medical examiner's card is the wallet card that has to be carried saying that the holder has passed a medical exam. Without it you aren't allowed to drive.

Sasha

Forum Chief
The medical examiner's card is the wallet card that has to be carried saying that the holder has passed a medical exam. Without it you aren't allowed to drive.

Oh, I thought it was like "yay i'm a medical examiner now!"

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
How sweet would that be, just flash your card at the police tape, stroll onto the scene whip out your "junior CSI kit" from ToysRus (I find it disturbing that they actually sell this there by the way) and away yah go.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Your options are to work out of state, work for a company where you aren't the driver, or take an EMT job that doesn't involve driving e.g. theme parks. It's not like they set up standards and then let you do it anyways. It sucks, but you can't physically do it, and I wouldn't trust somebody to drive an ambulance or a car with poor eye sight.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Unlikely the answer is here, unless...

...someone here understands the appeals process of your particular state or county or whoever monitors the Medical Examiner's office. You would likely have to submit some testing results at your expense. Just don't give up until you've explored all your options...from the Agent that's challenging you.

JPINFV

Gadfly
First things first, "California ambulance driver" puts EMTLife at the 7th position in Google.

In order to drive an ambulance in California you either need to work for a fire department or get an Ambulance Driver Certification. A requirement of that certification is to pass the same physical exam required of commercial drivers ("Medical Examination Report"). There are several automatic disqualifies for this, including the aforementioned 20/40 corrected. However, "CMV drivers who do not meet the Federal Vision Standard may call (202) 366-4001 for an application for a vision exemption. (See Visual Disorders and Commercial Drivers at: http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rulesregs/medreports.htm)"

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
S

surfer06

Forum Probie
The dl 51 medical examiners card from the DMV. It's a physical that all emt's must take in order to work on an ambulance

OP
OP
S

surfer06

Forum Probie
My goal in life is to become Paramedic in the fire department. I havent been able to find the vision requirments for most fire departments. I know alot of departments are differnt.

phideux

Forum Captain
First things first, "California ambulance driver" puts EMTLife at the 7th position in Google.

In order to drive an ambulance in California you either need to work for a fire department or get an Ambulance Driver Certification. A requirement of that certification is to pass the same physical exam required of commercial drivers ("Medical Examination Report"). There are several automatic disqualifies for this, including the aforementioned 20/40 corrected. However, "CMV drivers who do not meet the Federal Vision Standard may call (202) 366-4001 for an application for a vision exemption. (See Visual Disorders and Commercial Drivers at: http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rulesregs/medreports.htm)"

That's great for California. "we think you are too blind to drive, but you can get an exemption, and drive an ambulance, code 3".B):p<_<

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
That's great for California. "we think you are too blind to drive, but you can get an exemption, and drive an ambulance, code 3".B):p<_<

Did you think something coming out of California would actually make sense? :p

JPINFV

Gadfly
I never realized that California ran the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration in the Department of Transportation.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
My goal in life is to become Paramedic in the fire department. I havent been able to find the vision requirments for most fire departments. I know alot of departments are differnt.

Most FDs are bound by the NFPA 1582 which is 20/30 binocularly, 20/50 in one eye is not that big of a problem really.

This bloke would yes, would Blind Brown at os 20/80 od 20/200? No.

Medic2409

Forum Lieutenant
Meh...you really don't need two eyes to drive, one good one will do just fine.

I wonder if this might be an ADA issue?