Medic Class Normal??

EMS166

Forum Probie
I am in Paramedic school, about half way done. I've been doing well so far n have good grades n understand most of the concepts. But our past mod to me has seem rushed ( our programs fairly new so I'm trying to see how things compare to others. Our Mod this time consists of Endocrinology, Neourology, GI, and Uriology/Nephrology... The A&P, diseases, treatments
And meds. We started all this Feb 14th n our test is tonite! (with class only 2 nites a week, n 2 used up for Med math n clinical that left only 5 classes to cover all 4 subjects. I kno studying is up to the student but with the medic program its lots of info but We r told We arent accountable fir it all only the big points or "key points" the problem is i can get them for these chapters....I've been studying all along but every time I'd study one thing it seemed like we moved on to a different system. I've been studying hard core all week end n all it has done is make me feel more clueless then knowledgeable. I kno Paramedic programs are hard n intense n require full dedication but I feel I give That (I got a 98% on Cardiology n 96% on the Cell basics, the 2 hardest MOds) so I'm not a slacker complaining I just really felt rushed n unprepared for this like I never have before... I'm not looking for criticism but just wondering if this is the pace of other medic programs out there... If so any tips on how to condense n study massive info ??

Last edited by a moderator:

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Moved to the Education section.

First, welcome to EMTLife. We're glad you decided to become part of our community.

As Imacho stated, it's very hard to read posts that are not written in proper English. Punctuation, correct spelling, closing your parenthesis, etc. all leads to a well written and easier to follow post. (No other comments on grammar and spelling are needed.)

With that said, are you just reading the material? Are you taking notes? Have you tried flashcards? Or is it just a time issue? What are you doing outside of school? Are you working? Are you hanging out with friends? Partying?

m0nster986

B.S, Paramedic, FF
A paramedic program will be an entire new experience for you, no matter what state you're in and where you decide to attend. It will be like no other college course you will ever experience.

I find dedication is the key to maintain sustainability in this type career.

OP
OP
E

EMS166

Forum Probie
First I apologize but I wrote this post from my iPhone (which is new to me) so I am sorry for the grammar and spelling issues. Next I am VERY dedicated to my school, only thing that I do in addition to it is care for my 2 year old and work full time. I am 26 and not a party person... I havent had issues with anything untill this module- I do all types of studying like flash cards n worksheets... My question was more if other Medic programs introduced such a wide variety of information in such a short amount of time.

terrible one

Always wandering
Yes, that is common. Unfortunetly most paramedic programs rush through the material because they have a limited amount of time to cover all the topics.

alphatrauma

Forum Captain
... My question was more if other Medic programs introduced such a wide variety of information in such a short amount of time.

This is one of the problems inherent of many current (and past) Paramedic programs.

The "Paramedic" Anatomy and Physiology that you are covering, in a couple of weeks, is hardly sufficient in time/content to get a comprehensive understanding of the body and it's systems... unless you have an exceptional aptitude for high paced learning, are a highly motivated self-learner, and/or have a background in college level science courses (Biology, Chemistry, Anatomy & Physiology, Physics, etc...). Lacking the basic core science curriculum, can make for an uphill battle.

There just isn't enough time in an 18 month (or shorter) Paramedic program, to allow for adequate coverage and absorption of required information.

Yes... I have been there, done that, and can identify with your frustration. Having to work and take care of children only adds to the problem.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I am in Paramedic school and am about half way done. I've been doing well so far, have good grades, and understand most of the concepts. But our past module to me has seem rushed. Our program is fairly new, so I'm trying to compare how this course compares to others. Our current module consists of Endocrinology, Neurology, GI, and Renal. Each module covers the relevant A&P, diseases, treatments, and medications.

We started this module on Feb 14th and our test is tonight! My program only has classes 2 nights a week and we used 2 for med math and clinical, which only left 5 classes to cover 4 subjects. I know studying is up to the student, but with this medic program it's a lot of info. However, we are told that we aren't accountable for all of it, but only the big or "key" points. The problem is that I can get them for these chapters (I've been studying all along) but every time I study one thing it seems like we moved on to a different system. I've been studying hard core all weekend and all it has done is make me feel more clueless than knowledgeable.

I know Paramedic programs are hard and intense and require full dedication but I feel I give that (I got a 98% on Cardiology n 96% on the Cell basics, which were the 2 hardest modules). As such, I am not a slacker complaining, but I just really felt rushed and unprepared for this, which I have never felt like before...

I'm not looking for criticism but I'm just wondering if this is the pace of other medic programs out there? Also, does anyone have any tips on how to condense and study massive info?

As someone who is bilingual in English and Bad English, I've taken the time to translate.

The biggest tip is to figure out what works for you. For some people making outlines works well. For me, I like flash cards. While you can share (and sharing is caring, as well as helping to make sure you don't miss anything), you should take the time to also create your own [insert what works for you] as making [insert what works for you] is a very good way to learn the material.

Also, if all you need to know is the key points, how often do you look at the learning objectives?

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
When I took college-based A&P the professor would go over the key points but left it up to us to read the chapter, do the exercises, and develop a broad knowledge of the topics.