Longest interfacility ever

MagicTyler

Forum Lieutenant
I just got back from a five and a half hour interfacility transport. It took us almost twelve hours total. What is the longest transport you all have been on?

leoemt

Forum Captain
We routinely go from Seattle, WA to Missoula and Kalispel Montana. Our units also regularly travel to California and Las Vegas.

jemt

Forum Crew Member
New York, to Miami.

Pediatric transfer.

SSwain

Forum Captain
My instructor drove from WI to FL for a pediatric pick-up...then drove back.
(3 person crew.)

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Northern Maine to Vermont for a psych. 3 crew, 1 sheriff and the pt for ground. Longest flight was 6 hours each way.

Last edited by a moderator:

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I just got back from a five and a half hour interfacility transport. It took us almost twelve hours total. What is the longest transport you all have been on?

Roughly the same. Return to home trip on a patient who had been in ICU over a year :wacko:.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
22 hrs round trip, LI NY to Pittsburgh.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
24 hours round trip- Charlottesville VA to Chattanooga TN. PICU to peds neuro rehab.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
From 5th floor of hospital across parking lot, 30 seconds

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
26 hours round trip, 3 man BLS crew. Southern California to Reno, Nevada. Going from one SNF to a SNF closer to the patients house.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Rochester, MI to Cleveland, OH

About 10 hours round trip. A lady with several abdominal and rectal fistulas. Going to the Cleveland Clinic

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Boston to New Hampshire VA hospital transfer. 6 hours round trip, more because of traffic than anything else.

We have one crew that has permanent dibs on the Boston to Presque Isle Maine transfer which is a minimum 13 hour round trip.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
San Jose, CA to Eugene, Or. Took us about 9 or 10 hours each way.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
We have a radius limit for out of area transfers. Works out to about three hours one way. This only applies to non-emerg transfers so the rare time when there's no local specialized bed and ORNGE isn't available we may get hit with a transfer to London, Kingston, Ottawa or Detroit. Extremely rare though.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Boston to New Hampshire VA hospital transfer. 6 hours round trip, more because of traffic than anything else.

We have one crew that has permanent dibs on the Boston to Presque Isle Maine transfer which is a minimum 13 hour round trip.

I have done the Presque isle to Boston trip a few times.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
From Weavervile, Ca to Barstow, Ca a very long time ago. Was absolutely horrible. Besides a mechanical failure at 4am in the middle of frigging nowhere, were the guy was OCD and washed his penis for 15 minutes minimum each time we stopped to use the restroom which was frequently due to his prostate issues.......... Last time I ever agreed to do an long transport.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
San Jose, CA to Eugene, Or. Took us about 9 or 10 hours each way.
I forgot to mention that on the way back, we saw a deer that was neatly split in half...

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I have done the Presque isle to Boston trip a few times.

I'm pretty ok with having never done that transfer. I think I would have a hard time staying awake doing a straight BLS transfer for that long. The patient just sleeps except for when I would have to wake them up to get vitals (no monitors on BLS trucks).

Pretty drive though depending on the season.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
F
I'm pretty ok with having never done that transfer. I think I would have a hard time staying awake doing a straight BLS transfer for that long. The patient just sleeps except for when I would have to wake them up to get vitals (no monitors on BLS trucks).

Pretty drive though depending on the season.

It has been years since I have made that run. They fly most of those pts now. We had full als type 1 or 3 rigs will lp12s and all the other fun gadgets. We did 911 and IFT. All the trucks were set up the same. My wife is from the Boston area so I make the drive every month or so to visit the in laws.