Lockout?

Jeremy89

Forum Captain
The other day I heard a call:

"Engine 276, channel 2, respond code 3 for a lockout, X address. Engine 276, channel 2"

What is a lockout? and why does it require a code 3 response? I did a search and didn't come up with anything.

Thanks!

Jeremy

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
its when, and this is a real stretch, someone is locked out of their house/car.

it really only needs a code three response if you had the stove going and stepped out to get the mail etc. in the case of a car, if say you pulled up to the mail box to post a letter and the door locked with your infant in the car seat. maybe when its like sub zero out too. other than that, it should be dark and quite.

then again, some depts run hot for every call.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Lockouts are dispatched to LEOs in our area. Unless there's a fire on the other side of the door. Even if there's a pt, unless we can determine that the pt is in life threatening danger, we still have to wait for the guys with the guns.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Around here, home lockouts only go to EMS and FD as "residential rescues" when Mom/Dad are locked out of the house by young kids and they can't get the door open. Usually we go, calm down the parent, look through the windows and find the kids, and then try to call another keyholder. Otherwise, the FD might go in a open window, or we'll use a rabbit tool on a door if needed.

Vehicle lockouts go to the PD, if anyone - UNLESS there is a young child in the vehicle. Then it becomes a EMS/FD issue. Realistically - we show up, let the PD gain access with some form of slim jim, and get recalled once the parent verifies that the kid is OK.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
Around here, home lockouts only go to EMS and FD as "residential rescues" when Mom/Dad are locked out of the house by young kids and they can't get the door open. Usually we go, calm down the parent, look through the windows and find the kids, and then try to call another keyholder. Otherwise, the FD might go in a open window, or we'll use a rabbit tool on a door if needed.

Vehicle lockouts go to the PD, if anyone - UNLESS there is a young child in the vehicle. Then it becomes a EMS/FD issue. Realistically - we show up, let the PD gain access with some form of slim jim, and get recalled once the parent verifies that the kid is OK.

yeah..... baby in the back of a un vented car on a hot day, im not waiting for flat foot frank to figure out how to pop a door.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
yeah..... baby in the back of a un vented car on a hot day, im not waiting for flat foot frank to figure out how to pop a door.
We had this a few months ago at the full-time job... baby died. Thankfully I missed that.

As I said... usually the kid is in no apparent distress and we just hang out for a few minutes, then clear. Not always.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
We had this a few months ago at the full-time job... baby died. Thankfully I missed that.

As I said... usually the kid is in no apparent distress and we just hang out for a few minutes, then clear. Not always.

im not waiting. go to the window farthest from the child. preferably break the window with something that wont send glass flying all over(center punch) but if none available, insert halligan.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
im not waiting. go to the window farthest from the child. preferably break the window with something that wont send glass flying all over(center punch) but if none available, insert halligan.
Or car radio antenna.

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
I went to a baby locked in in a van call a few weeks ago. The babys mother and grandmother had accidently locked the door and the keys were hanging in the ignition. The baby was sleeping in its seat. However grandma was wound up pretty tight. We were in the process of bending a coat hanger to slip through the door frame when the tow truck showed up. These guys have way more experience at popping doors than cops.

He pulled the door frame out a little with his fingers and then stuffed in a rubber air bladder. It looked just like a b/p cuff. He pumped it up a little and the door stayed open a half inch or so. He then used a long stiff wire to push the power door lock button and we were in like Flynn. No damage to the paint either. Gotta love power door locks.

Grandmas panic attack ended and baby woke up wondering what the fuss was about.

I think a b/p cuff would work fine. Just something to remember.

Epi-do

I see dead people
Outbac 1, it sounds like the tow truck had a Big Easy Lockout kit. We carry them on our ambulances and they work great!

For lockouts, our dispatch sends an ambulance non-emergent only if there is a child locked in the car. If no one is in the car, dispatch advises them to call a locksmith. If they do send PD, they refuse to open the car.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Outbac 1, it sounds like the tow truck had a Big Easy Lockout kit. We carry them on our ambulances and they work great!

For lockouts, our dispatch sends an ambulance non-emergent only if there is a child locked in the car. If no one is in the car, dispatch advises them to call a locksmith. If they do send PD, they refuse to open the car.

We had these at my old job - working Security.

I love this tool.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
An emergency response for the FD involving a lock-out means to secure a site from some electrical or other energy source. This could also be a routine response for some maintenance work. A building may be cut off from its energy source for repairs or an EMS crew and equipment may need protection at scene from a hazardous energy source.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Outbac1 saw that on my wife's Windstar.

They used two plastic wedges also, like doorstops, to hold it open and remove the BP cuff without velcro. Then, coathanger. Took about two minutes and that was because he was careful of that POS's paint.
If they do lockouts without victims, do they also do cats in trees?

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Just curious, for those who do respond (even non-emergently) to lockouts, do you check IDs? Do you make sure that the car is being opened with authorization? Who's responsibility should that be if the PD doesnt respond?

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
Units might go code 3 to a lockout with a patient inside (as mentioned) or possibly to another emergency vehicle (e.g. Ambulance on a 911 call) that is locked out...

VentMedic

Forum Chief
The other type of lockout is containing an energy source or equipment that presents a hazard as I mentioned earlier.

http://www.firehouse.com/training/hazmat/training/2001/09_safety.html

• isolate energy sources that can cause harm. Shut-off electrical sources, electrical equipment, and other potential sources of ignition provided electrical arcs are not produced and other processes are not affected by the shut down. Chock all devices that may be affected by gravity such as machines and vehicles. Remove fan belts if necessary. Lockout and tag-out all devices that can cause harm.

In South Florida, anyone who owns a car has a window punch and usually knows how to use it. If a child or animal is left in a car on a hot day, once noticed, the windows will not stay intact very long. I've seen 80+ y/o grandmotherly types do a swifter rescue than some EMS or FF personnel. Those really big flashlights that LEOs carry do a nice job of gaining access also. The smash can be done on the opposite side and away from the child for a safer break. No need for the FD to secure the care either as the PD will tow it as a crime scene.

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
The other type of lockout is containing an energy source or equipment that presents a hazard as I mentioned earlier.

http://www.firehouse.com/training/hazmat/training/2001/09_safety.html

In South Florida, anyone who owns a car has a window punch and usually knows how to use it. If a child or animal is left in a car on a hot day, once noticed, the windows will not stay intact very long. I've seen 80+ y/o grandmotherly types do a swifter rescue than some EMS or FF personnel. Those really big flashlights that LEOs carry do a nice job of gaining access also. The smash can be done on the opposite side and away from the child for a safer break. No need for the FD to secure the care either as the PD will tow it as a crime scene.

Back in the day, alot of depts did lockout/tagouts for energized electrical equipment, but now, most will leave that to FP&L. A few Brothers did it improperly, and got a shocking experience.

Some places still do it, but they are few and far between.

Robby1974

Forum Crew Member
Southern Nevada Code 3

This is a hot button issue here. A child or pet can die quickly in a car here in vegas. Last year it got up to 127 on the strip at the height of summer so you can imagine what it's like inside a car. In Vegas it is well known that anyone is required by law to break the window of a car if a pet or child has been left inside. If its a pet then SPCA is called. PD is called for every child left in car and about 99.9% of the people are arrested for doing it in the summer. Lots of kids have died here so its a big issue.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Back in the day, alot of depts did lockout/tagouts for energized electrical equipment, but now, most will leave that to FP&L. A few Brothers did it improperly, and got a shocking experience.

Some places still do it, but they are few and far between.

We still respond to secure at least secure the scene until the utility company arrives. Any equipment is unsafe that might get attached to a line (gas, electric, water etc) gets disabled and if possible removed.

Fire will usually beat the electric, gas or water company to the scene.

Last edited by a moderator: