Local cop on who's team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Nice try on the last one, but it applies to POVs, not agency owned vehicles.

Except that the title of that law is "New Jersey Statutes 39:3-54.12 - Rights of motor vehicle with emergency lights in operation" I don't see where it only applies to POV's but I'm not from NJ so I'll defer that to the residents and take your word for it.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Where was the mutual respect? I know most officers know that if he gets shot it is the EMTs/Paramedics working on them trying to save their life. It is also the same with dispatchers, firefighters, nurses, doctors, etc. Some times you just have to say "slow down, sorry, have a nice day".

I don't know about that one.........^_^

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
Sure they do, so long as you do it with safety in mind.

You control one vehicle on the road its impossible to assure the safety of everyone, I don't care how good you think you are. My personal truck has zero cabin noise, add a stereo and someone being on their cell phone and its a recipe for disaster. I have been to police, fire engine and ambulance accidents, they all had safety in mind.

Eight thousand pound truck flying down the road is impossible to stop trust me I've seen the damage it does first hand, it really isn't worth the risk involved.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
However, if it's not a power explicitly given to the fed, than the states can decide (Which is why Obama-care is going to get tossed out).

Incorrect. The Commerce Clause gives the gov't broad powers in regulating this sort of thing. You have to have insurance to drive a car and no one claims that is unconstitutional. It's the same clause that allows the government to require you to buy car insurance that allows them to require you to buy health insurance.

Phlipper

Forum Lieutenant
Incorrect. The Commerce Clause gives the gov't broad powers in regulating this sort of thing. You have to have insurance to drive a car and no one claims that is unconstitutional. It's the same clause that allows the government to require you to buy car insurance that allows them to require you to buy health insurance.

But what about states that do not have basic auto coverage requirements? FL didn't at one time, and may still not require basic collision insurance. How are they opting out?

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly

Really? The federal government requires me to buy car insurance? I'm pretty sure that is a state requirement and the states have broader domestic power than the federal government.

...and here's the problem with the commerce clause. Currently the federal government bans the sale of health insurance across state lines. You, as an individual, cannot buy health insurance from a company or division in a different state. If the federal government already bans the sale across state lines, thus not allowing interstate commerce to occur, what, exactly, are they regulating?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
keep it on topic.

Last edited by a moderator:

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
But what about states that do not have basic auto coverage requirements? FL didn't at one time, and may still not require basic collision insurance. How are they opting out?

I don't think I understand. There is no opt-out as this is a law that doesn't have an opt-out clause.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Really? The federal government requires me to buy car insurance? I'm pretty sure that is a state requirement and the states have broader domestic power than the federal government.

...and here's the problem with the commerce clause. Currently the federal government bans the sale of health insurance across state lines. You, as an individual, cannot buy health insurance from a company or division in a different state. If the federal government already bans the sale across state lines, thus not allowing interstate commerce to occur, what, exactly, are they regulating?

And where do the state governments get the power to require insurance? It has to do with the 14th Amendment (Doctrine of Incorporation).

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.