Local cop on who's team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emt20+years

Forum Ride Along
I've been a NJ EMT for 20+ years, Lt in my Volly squad, and now paid EMS.
Traveling in an Ambulance, in route to a 911 call for an injured NUN, secondary lights on, no siren...I was pulled over by a Morris Twp NJ cop named Ornstadt. Believe it or not he wrote me a ticket for 49 in a 35mph zone at the bottom of a significant hill.
What team is this cop on?
I took the ticket to court and the Procecutor wasn't surprised at all. I didn't even have to tell him the cops name. He said this cop would give his grandmother a ticket for going too slow.
Com'on Ornstadt. You know how fast that went around? Good luck when you need EMS to come rescue your ***.:p

NJdude24

Forum Probie
Im a EMT in NJ as well and im not suprised. It seems like some cops can just be :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:s.

Hockey

Quackers
Nice first post. It happens

IBTL

I've been a NJ EMT for 20+ years, Lt in my Volly squad, and now paid EMS.
Traveling in an Ambulance, in route to a 911 call for an injured NUN, secondary lights on, no siren...I was pulled over by a Morris Twp NJ cop named Ornstadt. Believe it or not he wrote me a ticket for 49 in a 35mph zone at the bottom of a significant hill.
What team is this cop on?
I took the ticket to court and the Procecutor wasn't surprised at all. I didn't even have to tell him the cops name. He said this cop would give his grandmother a ticket for going too slow.
Com'on Ornstadt. You know how fast that went around? Good luck when you need EMS to come rescue your ***.:p

PS, if something ever happened to Officer Ornstadt, prepare to lose your job and be investigated ;)

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
We had a cop pull over our Fire Engine before. They were running Priority 1 to a call and got cleared, they turned off the lights and slowed down and the cop jumped on them. We also had to go to court to get it cleared up. Judge gave the officer holy hell, is my understanding.

Sasha

Forum Chief

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
Insufficient supply of lawyers, guns, and money (to fight the law), I would think.

Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. A normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop heart. Make the :censored: chase you. He will follow. But he won't know what to make of your blinker signal that says you are about to turn right. This is to let him know you're pulling off for a proper place to talk. It will take him a moment to realize that he's about to make a 180 degree turn at speed, but you will be ready for it. Brace for the g's, and fast heel-toe work.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Does it really surprise anyone there are people in any public service that believe in strict interpretation of rules and laws without exception?

Never argue or appeal to somebody wearing a uniform, the appeal is better made to somebody wearing a robe.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Does your state have laws regarding speeding while driving code?

I can drive as fast as I want with lights and sirens, and so long as there isn't an accident, there isn't a thing legally that police can do as ambulances are exempt from traffic laws while running code.

But our cops also tend to not write 911 ambulances. IFT companies when speeding without lights? Sure. But we work hand in hand with Troopers daily. Mutual respect.

Phlipper

Forum Lieutenant
Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. A normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop heart. Make the :censored: chase you. He will follow. But he won't know what to make of your blinker signal that says you are about to turn right. This is to let him know you're pulling off for a proper place to talk. It will take him a moment to realize that he's about to make a 180 degree turn at speed, but you will be ready for it. Brace for the g's, and fast heel-toe work.

God I love that movie. :D

Our local cops tell us we'll get a pass for anything in our POVs except DUI or something truly deadly stupid. They say "When the SHTF and I'm on laying the side of the road I want to be sure you're going to give me 110%." ;)

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
this has happened twice to me, while responding code 3 (L+S). once to a call, once to the hospital. both involved the highway patrol. first call was rush hour and i took the freeway hard sholder (btw, not illegal), cop wanted to lecture me about how dangerous that was. I let him follow me all the way to the scene :rolleyes:. the second time we where transporting an auto-ped TC to the trauma center (patient was messed up something bad) again rush hour and i cut through the state inspection station (weigh station) and used their "private" exit ramp to get to surface streets. this time there was damn near a whole battalion of CHP behind me, again I allowed them to follow me to the hospital (10-15min) they took one look at the patient and walked back to his car pissed off with out saying anything :ph34r:. I am not a big fan of the California Highway Patrol.

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
this has happened twice to me, while responding code 3 (L+S). once to a call, once to the hospital. both involved the highway patrol. first call was rush hour and i took the freeway hard sholder (btw, not illegal), cop wanted to lecture me about how dangerous that was. I let him follow me all the way to the scene :rolleyes:. the second time we where transporting an auto-ped TC to the trauma center (patient was messed up something bad) again rush hour and i cut through the state inspection station (weigh station) and used their "private" exit ramp to get to surface streets. this time there was damn near a whole battalion of CHP behind me, again I allowed them to follow me to the hospital (10-15min) they took one look at the patient and walked back to his car pissed off with out saying anything :ph34r:. I am not a big fan of the California Highway Patrol.

CHP= "Triple A with guns" as my LA County Sheriff friend would say

you did the right thing in both circumstances... if i have patient who is critical NO ONE is pulling me over

Needles to say I am not a big fan of CHP either ......

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Never argue or appeal to somebody wearing a uniform, the appeal is better made to somebody wearing a robe.

Vene, I may use that at some point if it's alright with you.

As far as this thread goes, I'll give as much respect as I can to anyone until they give me reason to do otherwise.

The most experience I've had on-duty with the po-lease was during a still alarm, 3 car TC on the highway 8. They all seemed to be on point and everything flowed quickly, from blocking off lanes so we could extricate safely to getting the phone number of the tow yard our patient's car was being taken to.

Positive experience for me but, y'know, N=1 and all that...

Before I was in EMS I did get a ticket from CHP for going 80 on the 15 North of Esco (where the speed limit is 70) Yes, I broke the law. However I was the only car in sight, I don't see how that could possibly be a danger to anyone on the road, what happened to not being a robot and excercising officer discretion?

I ended up not fighting it, because I did break the law. I paid the fine and learned my lesson, on to another chapter in life.

Last edited by a moderator:

Madmedic780

Forum Crew Member
lol what an ***. The local guys are buddies with us and let us get away with murder.(figuratively)

hocomedic

Forum Crew Member
some cops are just a little happy to be cops and they will give anybody a ticket, but an ambulance with its lights on going down a hill and you weren't even going that fast. that just wow.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Vene, I may use that at some point if it's alright with you.

As far as this thread goes, I'll give as much respect as I can to anyone until they give me reason to do otherwise.

The most experience I've had on-duty with the po-lease was during a still alarm, 3 car TC on the highway 8. They all seemed to be on point and everything flowed quickly, from blocking off lanes so we could extricate safely to getting the phone number of the tow yard our patient's car was being taken to.

Positive experience for me but, y'know, N=1 and all that...

Use it as you will.

It is not that I have any problems with LE, I have had to argue a couple of traffic tickets that I really wasn't guilty of anything. (I am 3-0 in court, but hope never to have to do it again :) )

One for being parked facing the wrong way. (the cop didn't know it was a private driveway and not a city street)

One for having too dark tinting on my windows. (I bought the car from the dealer, I suspect it came from a state where it was legal and my home state has a law against a dealer selling you an illegally modified vehicle)

and finally for running a red light which was yellow when I entered the intersection, at night, driving a black car so there was some question as to how far in the intersection I already was.

When I explained my story to the police, they looked at me like I was some stupid kid and they were going to tell me how it was. Like I was telling them they didn't know what they were doing or something.

It just seems to be very common even among my LE friends that they know what they know and it couldn't possibly be erroneous.

So rather that trigger a "contempt of cop" response, I really think the judge is a better person to make a case to. Especially since they often listen with an open mind.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
We are rarely hassled, then again I'm not in much of a hurry, I usually drive the speed limit responding or not unless its rush traffic.

I had one cop follow me to the ER once, my partner wanted to pull over, but we continued on. He can write the ticket in the ER if he is so inclined. I probably would have pulled over but it was time sensitive complaint, and I'm not sitting on the side of the road arguing with some cop on a power trip while my patient loses significant neuro function. That's what I have jump supervisor s, for they can deal with that nonsense.

Lights and sirens don't give you the right to trample all over traffic law. My goal is safety for everyone including other motorists on the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.