Life pack thingy

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
I know there was a post on this a while back, I can't find it... do any of you remember where it is?

I want to keep a life pack in my car, I have a few family members who could drop any day, and want it for other emergencies. I know I could get a bunch of things, but what do you all think is essential (aside from BSI).

And do you think it's cheaper for me to put one together myself, or buy one already done?

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Are you wanting just an AED or do you want a whole monitor (LP 12)?

If you are just wanting an AED contact the Red Cross. They can hook you up with an AED, two sets of pads, spare battery, case, razor, etc for around $2k.

OP
OP
Wingnut

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Definitely the AED. But I'm also talking about anything else that I should keep in a pack in the car.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
You can get a good AED from Amazon.com for less than $1500. Would you really want or need one?

Anyone could drop dead at any point, but what's the reality of that? I can think of far better, more life-saving things you could do with $1500.

I keep a Galls BLS jump kit in my car, and have used it many times. For $130 it seems like a good investment. I probably could have spent much less just getting a smaller kit with fewer things, but at the time the BVM looked impressive.

I'd save your money and do something more productive / effective with the $1500+

OP
OP
Wingnut

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
No, no, the AED will be much later when I'm rich from selling over priced houses to retired lawyers playing golf.

Anything near 1500 goes towards the house downpayment savings plan or finally taking a vacation with the hubby.

Right now, I'm talking about the jump kit for keeping in the car, etc. I shouldn't have said life pack. That's why I was asking if I should get one off ebay/from galls or get the supplies from the med store and make my own?

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Make your own bag. Get things that you will really use.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Ohh... you are talking about a "jump bag" "house bag" or "BLS bag".... I was trying to think about what you meant...

LifePak makes defibs... I want a LP12, or at least an LP500 in my trunk ;)

Jon

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
MAKE YOUR OWN!

I'll share a list of what I carry, but I'll have to get my inventory sheet from the safe... Give me an hour. :p I have to remember the combination. :unsure:

OP
OP
Wingnut

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Sep 2 2005, 11:15 PM
MAKE YOUR OWN!

I'll share a list of what I carry, but I'll have to get my inventory sheet from the safe... Give me an hour. :p I have to remember the combination. :unsure:
ok, ok I get the point!!! lol

Thanks, take your time, I have class in the morning and have to get my butt to bed. :(

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
I recommend a simple mini medic bag from galls, for something to use along the highway. I'm a whacker.. So I carry a **** load of useless crap, just because I can.

"Jump Kit"
Bag 1 - Medical Emergency
"D" Cylinder w/ Brass Regulator
1 Adult NRB
1 Adult Nasal Cannula
1 Pedi NRB
1 Pedi Nasal Cannula
1 Infant NRB
1 Bubble Gum scented oxygen bear
1 Roll of extra tubing with extension connector
1 Stethoscope
1 Write in the Rain pad and WitR Pen
1 Large Adult BP Cuff
1 Adult BP Cuff
1 Child BP Cuff
2 Glucose Tubes
1 Shears
1 Roll 3" Kling
1 Roll Transpore 1"
1 Ring Cutter
1 Bite Stick
5 pairs of purple nitrile gloves
box of ten spirits of ammonia
2 3x3 gauze pads
Penlight
ThermoScan Tympanic Thermometer w/ extra covers
bandaids
minimag

Bag 2 - Resuscitation
1 Adult BVM
1 Child BVM
1 Infant BVM
1 Oral Airway Kit (50-110mm)
1 Nasal Airway Kit (22fr-36fr)
1 bottle of Triad Lubricant
5 pairs of purple nitrile gloves
Bite stick
Ambu Resq Pump w/ large and child canisters
Hi-Risk PPE Kit
2 pairs of goggles
Bio Hazard Bag
Shears
1 Cravat
Penlight

Bag 3- Collars/Splints
1 Ambu Adjustable Pedi
2 Infant No Neck
1 Pediatric
2 Short
2 Neckless
2 Regular
1 Tall
4 Stifneck Adjustable
2 15" Morrison Splints
4 Cravats
1 roll of 3" porus tape
Foot ankle air splint w/ hose to fill w/ O2 cylinder (no smelly feet) :blink: :p

Bag 4 - Trauma/First Aid
10 Packages of Kerlix Super Sponges
4 3" Kling
2 4" Kling
2 4.5" Kerlix
3 3" Roller Gauze
3 2" Roller Gauze
3 1" Roller Gauze (fingers, toes, children)
2 6" Kling (burns)
1 GAM Burn sheet
1 1000ml Sodium Chloride
1 SAM Splint
6 Cravats
5 5x9 ABD Pads
15 4x4 Gauze Pads
15 3x3 Gauze Pads
Shears
Bandage Scissors (2)
Hemostats (2)
Splinter forceps
ice pack
cotton balls
benadryl cream
triple anti. ointment
iodine
2 tubes glucose
2 penlights
aluminum finger splint
4 eye pads
asherman chest seal
2 3x9 vaseline dressings
non stick pads
1 & 2" Transpore
3" porus tape
puke bag
mylar 'space' blanket
ten SMART triage tags
mini mag
4 Multi Trauma Dressings
bandaids
10 pairs of purple nitrile, and superno EC gloves (ran out of one box, added some blue to the purple) :p

Bag 5 - Peds
1 Infant BVM
1 Silicone NeoNate BVM
2 Infant cuffed masks
2 NeoNate Cuffed masks
2 isolation suits
2 OB kits
4 Baby buntings
2 bulb syringes
1 Infant BP cuff
1 Newborn BP cuff (came w/ the 6 piece kit - never used it)
1 Littman Infant Scope (dopplar)
6 red dot child/infant electrodes
4 maternity pads
2 still born kits
6 heat packs
penlight
hypothermia thermometer
10 & 20mm Airways
Infant intubation supplies (just in case) :(

Box 1 - On the Road Kit... Just something to use for my family
1 Adult BVM
1 Child BVM
1 Infant BVM
1 Airway kit
24, 26 & 28 Fr Nasal airways
packets of surgi lube
laryngscope kit (4 macs, 5 millers)
magill forceps (adult only)
2 each (2., 3., 4.5 uncuffed ET Tubes)
1 Each (5., 6., 7., 7.5, 8. & 8.5 cuffed ET tubes)
couple stylettes
2 rolls of O2 tubing
shears
BP Kit
littman scope
6 Adult EPI pens
4 Child EPI Pens
2 bags of Dextrose Solution
2 bags of Ringers Solution
4 bags of 1000ml sodium chloride
12 drip sets
4 each retractable needle caths 14-20
alcohol preps
Nitrostat
baby aspirin
albuterol 2.5/inhalation
2 nebulizer sets
Furosemide 40mg
Diaz 10/2
glucometer
500 lancets
150 test strips
10 tubes of cherry glutose 15
rolls of Orange & fruit punch glucose tablets
syringe kits of Dex 25mg and Benadryl 50mg
5 Glucagon 1/1 kits
a few start kits & tourniquets.. I like my Tourniquick
site covers
2x2's
Transport tape 1"
mini sharps container (Kmart .99cents)
ice packs
Res-Q-Vac kit
mini mag
ammonia inhalants
gloves
betadine
liquid benadryl
trip. anti. ointment
spirits of camphor
cotton tipped applicators
splinter forceps
tic-kit
sawyer extractor
Epixtaxis kit
puke bag
mylar blankets
hypothermia thermometer
generic $9 kmart tympanic thermometer
"C" Oxygen cylinder w/ built in regulator (ebay find)
1 nasal cannula

You wouldn't believe how easy it is to buy medications from Canada via the internet. Only thing I couldn't get was Morphine.. :huh:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Sep 3 2005, 01:10 AM
Diaz 10/2

You wouldn't believe how easy it is to buy medications from Canada via the internet. Only thing I couldn't get was Morphine.. :huh:
:eek: :huh: :eek:

What, no LP12????

OP
OP
Wingnut

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Thanks WHKR, that really helps. I'm just going to print it out and take it to the store with me :D

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon+Sep 3 2005, 06:55 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MedicStudentJon @ Sep 3 2005, 06:55 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TTLWHKR@Sep 3 2005, 01:10 AM
Diaz 10/2

:eek: :huh: :eek:

What, no LP12???? [/b][/quote]
I have two OLD defibrillators in the ambulance storage barn, but I'd never use them, much less charge them. Be afraid of #1 Fire, #2 Shock, #3 Death...

Maybe I'll get an LP500 some day? never know... They have a few on ebay.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Just remember you still have to have a medical directors authority to use any monitor/defib and any meds.( I would suggest an AED) If you closely on most medical equipment it states" not to be purchased or used without medical license physician authority".. can't practice medicine without a license.

Be safe,
Ridryder 911

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by ridryder 911@Sep 3 2005, 03:37 PM
Just remember you still have to have a medical directors authority to use any monitor/defib and any meds.( I would suggest an AED) If you closely on most medical equipment it states" not to be purchased or used without medical license physician authority".. can't practice medicine without a license.

Be safe,
Ridryder 911
They can take away my certs... I won't let my family die in some hickass town because the ambulance isn't properly equipped or the Paramedics are too far away. Everything I carry, I can use as a Paramedic. And I won't hesitate to use it on my family if it is the difference between life and death. That's just the way it is.
Besides, half the stuff in the kit is what I would use as a Physcian script anyway, maybe except IV supplies... But I would certainly benefit from any dex, epi, etc.. As my wife is just as qualified if not more than I am to use it. Why wait and die for a local ambulance when I can be saved with out leaving home? :blink:

OP
OP
Wingnut

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Originally posted by TTLWHKR+Sep 3 2005, 04:32 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TTLWHKR @ Sep 3 2005, 04:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ridryder 911@Sep 3 2005, 03:37 PM

Be safe,
Ridryder 911
They can take away my certs... I won't let my family die in some hickass town because the ambulance isn't properly equipped or the Paramedics are too far away. Everything I carry, I can use as a Paramedic. And I won't hesitate to use it on my family if it is the difference between life and death. That's just the way it is. [/b][/quote]
I feel the same way, but I obviously won't get anything out of an EMT-B's scope of practice. I haven't been trained and wouldn't want to risk mis-using it on anyone.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I might get an AED.... I don't think anyone would really get bent out of shape.... If I were to carry IV's, Epi and Lidocane... that would be different.

Jon

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
This is just to darn funny to me...Jenn - you want to carry your OWN personal AED?!?!?...

So whats the number 1 way to tell that your a Whacker??? Isn't it something like having a fully stocked ambulance in your POV - including the AED...

Girl, I'd go anywhere with you!! Talk about being prepared - you used to be a scout didn't you?!?!?

OP
OP
Wingnut

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
ROFL, no actually I was one of those anti social kids who went goth in high school and is only now becoming somewhat normal ;)

And don't forget I've just gotten my cauducus tattoo. I'm a closet whacker, well I was, it's becoming more obvious as time goes on. B)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I actually don't have O2 in my car. It is in my shed out back of my house.

The O2 stays in the shed, unless I'm going somewhere for an event, then it comes with me.

I don't have the O2 in the car, because I've yet to need it, just driving down the road. I also worry what the lovely State Trooper would say, finding a full D cylinder in my trunk, and having no Haz-mat placards on the car. And my insurance Co. would REALLY love me driving around with a placard on my trunk...

Jon