Level of respect (Rant)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Is it even possible to put so many type A personalities together and not fight?

Good point. That has got to be one of the best observations anyone has ever made on this site!:p

medic417

The Truth Provider
What now hold hands and sing kum ba yah?:rolleyes:

NEMed2

Forum Crew Member
What now hold hands and sing kum ba yah?:rolleyes:

That only comes with a raging bon fire & a keg or two; which excludes the young ones, the recovering alcoholics, pregnant women....

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

STATION4

Forum Crew Member
I think if u dont have anything to say good keep it to your self...that that way on many forums i belong to

JPINFV

Gadfly
^
And we can continue to pretend to be friends, and the professional EMS providers can hold hands with the fire medics and vollys and we can all pretend that fire suppression technicians and vollys don't hurt EMS and pretend that there are no problems in this land of milk and honey.

Personally, I prefer to live in reality.

Sasha

Forum Chief
^
And we can continue to pretend to be friends, and the professional EMS providers can hold hands with the fire medics and vollys and we can all pretend that fire suppression technicians and vollys don't hurt EMS and pretend that there are no problems in this land of milk and honey.

Personally, I prefer to live in reality.

I dislike milk. Can it be honey and ice cream?

I don't think there is anything wrong with this forum or the level of respect. Like I've always said, this isn't some lifetime special. Some people need tough love to learn.

People's honest and brutal opinions of me helped me radically change the way I first presented myself here on the forum and get the wake up call. It has helped me grow both on the forum and real life, where not everyone is so apt to be so honest.

It worked for me, I can only hope it will work for some others.

EmsPrincess*

Forum Crew Member
I would rather someone tell me "like it is" than sugar coat it to protect my feelings. I can overlook antagonism lol I have three kids.

NEMed2

Forum Crew Member
So who doesn't it exclude?

My point exactly.

Welcome to the real world. If we spend all our time trying not to offend someone then all our time is lost. It doesn't work. That's not to say that people should be jerks just because they can. Sugar coating things just gives everyone cavities.

I was young when I first started in EMS & I would have been very offended by the comments made about underage providers. But I look at the junior members in my department the same way as many, they don't have the training or maturity to handle a lot of the situations we get into. Sorry, that's just how it is. Only time & knowledge will change that.

Vollies, first responders, FFs, police, whackers, etc are here & we all need to learn how to play along nice nice until things change, if they ever do. No need to make ourselves look like jerks in front of a layperson. Keep that for in quarters.

45ACP

Forum Ride Along
As my first post on this site I find it funny that I feel very much the same way as the OP. In fact, when I saw the "Suggestions" area I thought "Oh good, exactly the right place to post my first impression with EMTLIFE." and lo and behold someone beat me to it!!

I think this site seems very informational and well organized and certainly a very good resource, but I definitely feel that many posters get smacked down on here the minute they say anything, simply because they are not a Medic, Nurse or Doctor.

I frequently see the NREMT referred to as a "simple" test, and EMTB's referred to as having knowledge comparable to nothing more than "First Aid".

I certainly do NOT feel that the level of study that one undertakes to complete their NREMT is anywhere near that of a surgeon or even a Nurse, however MOST EMTs I know are either using it to achieve another level of training or in addition to another career such as Fire Fighting (another profession I frequently see disrespected on here)

Now I can take the FF jokes with the best of them, but clearly SOME feel that FF's and EMTs are inferior intellectually and as such their statements don't deserve basic respect. Someones vocation of choice or the route that they've taken to achieve said vocation should matter little as to whether or not they are met with respectful discussion and/or disagreement.

As I mentioned already, this site comes across to the newcommer as very informational, and user friendly. Folks who are out to prove they are better than others in every post leave a sour taste.

In the fire service I call it FireFighter of the Year syndrome. Every year we elect omeone who has served many distinguished years. Unfortunately, many times these folks who have been around the block and seen almost everything there is to see are to often the same folks that are the first to bust the rookies chops so hard it crosses the line into good old fashioned bullying. This is all sooo unfortunate because these rookies could benefit so much from the experience that these veterans have.

Being an a hole is a choice, and there is always someone who is Smarter, more Experienced and better looking than you. Would you want them to tell you how much more experienced and better looking they are, or would you rather them to tell you a story about how they once screwed up so you can learn something and possibly make a difference in someones life?

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
honsetly...

i've only been on this page for a week ish and i love it :D. people are really nice here :D, except when i make bone-headed posts of comments -- but i deserve those lol.

VFFforpeople

Forum Captain
To 45ACP. Also general audiance.

I was in the same boat you are in when I was making posts. I look at it as a FF stand point (most of the people are FFs or have been FFs). When I first started at my station only the training officer spoke to me. Took me 2months to earn respect of a few memebers. It is like that hear you have to earn,and show you are willing to learn and respect the opinion of others here. Some here I learned think all Basics should be Medics. I agree with that to a certain extent. If you learning something you enjoy, why not take it to the next level? Anyway hope this kinda helps in a way. Just know it is nothing against you. Anyway I wish you luck on the forums,

45ACP

Forum Ride Along
I understand thanks for taking the time to reply. I've definitely come here to learn, and after much thought decided it was worth it to register and participate.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
As my first post on this site I find it funny that I feel very much the same way as the OP. In fact, when I saw the "Suggestions" area I thought "Oh good, exactly the right place to post my first impression with EMTLIFE." and lo and behold someone beat me to it!!

I think this site seems very informational and well organized and certainly a very good resource, but I definitely feel that many posters get smacked down on here the minute they say anything, simply because they are not a Medic, Nurse or Doctor.

I frequently see the NREMT referred to as a "simple" test, and EMTB's referred to as having knowledge comparable to nothing more than "First Aid".

I certainly do NOT feel that the level of study that one undertakes to complete their NREMT is anywhere near that of a surgeon or even a Nurse, however MOST EMTs I know are either using it to achieve another level of training or in addition to another career such as Fire Fighting (another profession I frequently see disrespected on here)

Now I can take the FF jokes with the best of them, but clearly SOME feel that FF's and EMTs are inferior intellectually and as such their statements don't deserve basic respect. Someones vocation of choice or the route that they've taken to achieve said vocation should matter little as to whether or not they are met with respectful discussion and/or disagreement.

As I mentioned already, this site comes across to the newcommer as very informational, and user friendly. Folks who are out to prove they are better than others in every post leave a sour taste.

In the fire service I call it FireFighter of the Year syndrome. Every year we elect omeone who has served many distinguished years. Unfortunately, many times these folks who have been around the block and seen almost everything there is to see are to often the same folks that are the first to bust the rookies chops so hard it crosses the line into good old fashioned bullying. This is all sooo unfortunate because these rookies could benefit so much from the experience that these veterans have.

Being an a hole is a choice, and there is always someone who is Smarter, more Experienced and better looking than you. Would you want them to tell you how much more experienced and better looking they are, or would you rather them to tell you a story about how they once screwed up so you can learn something and possibly make a difference in someones life?

I am nothing more than a lowely EMT-B, so I can say this with 110% conviction:

New EMT's (and MFRs and FFs) know NOTHING! I don't trust them or listen to them until they 1. acknowledge that there 150 hours barely qualifies tehm to look at a patient and 2. demonstrate that even if they choose to reamin at that level they will make it their priority to evelate their education. When you join this forum nobody knows your actual level of training or experience (and the knowledge and understanding that comes with that) so we get treated like a 3 year old clawing at the old-mans legs, trying to get attention and show how smart we are now that we no longe crap in our pants. Too many people get their MFR or EMT and think they know it all now. If you approach this forum acknowledging your limitations and level of training and try to add somehting constructive and learn from those that know more, then you are far more likely to be accepted. On the other hand, yea their are several people here with vast knowledge that still act like they are better than you (they may be, but that attitude repels people). In all honestly I don't know why they are here: they already know it all and don't really want to offer real education and guidence... just "impress" with their knowledge. Take the good information and apply it, ignore the newbies with their bright shiny EMT "HERO" CARDS, and roll your eyes when an old fart would rather tell you how stupid you are and how smart they are (as long as you are honestly looking to enhance your education through a mutual exchange of reputable information and upbuilding support from fellow EMSers).

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
Being an a hole is a choice, and there is always someone who is Smarter, more Experienced and better looking than you.

Smarter then me? Yes.

More experienced then me? Yes.

Better looking then me? Now I doubt that. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.